I gotta quit hanging out with you guys...Redux..

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
...you’re a bad influence. You know who you are, strutting around and showing illicit pics of those little harlots you guys keep all fancied up. I don’t want to look, but I just can’t help myself and its causing me grief. I…I…I find myself thinking about selling my LJ and replacing him with a 1st gen Tacoma. Oh the shame, the shame.

5103109795_0636e0195e.jpg

I love my Jeep; the Mouser has been a bonnie companion and taken me to some cool places and fun events. But it’s a weekend toy, not a long distant explorer. The gas mileage is not wonderful at 13mpg average; it runs OK on the interstate but is not a relaxing ride. Start adding sleeping platforms, camping gear, roof racks and our Maggie RTT and the gas mileage goes even further down and so does the drivability. As a weekend rambler and trail runner it’s fun and wonderful, but to set it up as a ready adventure machine that I can drive to anywhere in the country at a moment’s notice and the Mouser shows it’s limitations.

And that’s what Michelle and I want; one dedicated vehicle that we can escape in at a moment’s notice. My Tundra and the set-up we use is awesome but with the Tundra work comes first and it can’t be a dedicated adventure rig. Also the Tundra, while not a true full-size, is a big truck. There are places we go that it just doesn’t fit and the aftermarket for Tundras is light. Even more so for a DC model. But what if we could replicate this set-up with a smaller, more nimble truck that has all the aftermarket goodies available to the Jeep and that are hard to find for a DC 1st gen Tundra? So this is the genesis of peeking over at those Tacomas.

Here’s what I envision…a nice 1st Gen Taco extended cab in any color than white. Keep it at the stock height or with minimal lift, but with heavier duty springs to compensate for the travel load out. Mount subtle armor front, rear and sides that is functional but keeps the weight down. Mount a tonneau cover and lower rack system like the one on my Tundra both to conceal the bed transported gear and to mount our Magglionia Extreme Rtt just above bed level and below the cab height. This means it will fit in the garage door and keep a more aerodynamic profile. Next put a nice set of aggressive all terrains on a set of blacked out rims and go exploring. Add to the rear of the seat our fridge and some gun racks and we have a travelling and hunting machine. Picture in your head the set-up below but on a smaller toy...

DSCN0116.jpg

DSCN0093.jpg

So what’s holding me back? We still love the Mouser, my kids especially. Driving down the road, top down, Jeep waves flying it just brings a smile to your face. Then there are the Tacoma’s short comings…the seating position and the lackluster performance. Yeah, I’m sure the V6 is fine but I’m an old street racer and I needs me some umph under my right foot. But some troublemaker has gotten me thinking about an LS1 swap into a first gen Tacoma and the wheels of mischief started turning in my brain. Set a 1st gen up the way we want and if we like it but need more power drop in the V8 and go hunting Tundras.

A couple of questions though..How long is the bed on a 1st gen Taco and how deep are the bedside?

Now all I got to do is fall out of love with my Jeep…of course if i do sell it my daughter will kill me.

100_3321.jpg

This is a repost after a forum error occured on the orginal.

Last edited:
1st Gen Tacoma beds came in 2 sizes, 5ft and 6ft. Maybe someone will chime in with depths.

:stir

I'll get you depth measurements tomorrow if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Sorry, just got home. Tomorrow afternoon Mark. If it's any consolation to your daughter, my daughter drove my truck to HS as her DD. She had to beat the boys off with a stick.

was that me?

Why do you always have to break my stuff?

Nah, I just posted the original thread at the same time Dave was tweaking the forum. A glitch occurred which was redirecting some folks to an error page.

If it's any consolation to your daughter, my daughter drove my truck to HS as her DD. She had to beat the boys off with a stick.

Allison loves the Mouser, I think its because for some reason she gets a lot of Jeep waves when she's cruising it and all the local ridgerunner boys watch as she drives by. I tell her its cause the Mouser is just to kewl. Last year we only put 4500 miles on the Jeep and she put probably 2/3 of the miles on it. She really wants to take it to college with her but its just not a sensible vehicle for a college kid.

Pardon the delay Mark; here are the bed measurements you requested...

74.5" length; 57" width at the bed rails; 61.5" width below the bed rails; 16" depth.

Thanks Tim! Hmmm... the Maggie is gonna stick out some if I mount it like we do on the Tundra.

I'm going to go look at a 2001 Extend Cab this weekend. It has 93,000 miles and just had the frame and springs replaced under warranty. I'm actually looking at it for Allison as the Cherokee we bought her last summer is turning into a money pit.

Good luck! Silver I bet... excuse me, Lunar Mist. If it works out I have my old buckets with Superhide (made in Montana) seat covers. They are good looking, durable seat covers made of XXX denier gray pack cloth that fit like a glove; I hate to see them go unused if you're interested.

I Loved my 2003 Tacoma....would have ran it for a couple of hundred thousand miles if we hadn't out grown it. I honestly think it was the best and most fun truck I have ever owned. But I feel that im preaching to the choir if you will...

Thanks Tim! Hmmm... the Maggie is gonna stick out some if I mount it like we do on the Tundra.

I'm going to go look at a 2001 Extend Cab this weekend. It has 93,000 miles and just had the frame and springs replaced under warranty. I'm actually looking at it for Allison as the Cherokee we bought her last summer is turning into a money pit.

What? A Jeep turning into a money pit, I'm shocked. The same thing happened to the Cherokee I bought for my daughter. Now she drives Terri's old Volvo (a more expensive money pit).

-Andy

Well we came to a consensus here in the Clanhold. Were gonna keep the Mouser. But I'm selling the Heavyweight '68, my Buick street machine.

064.jpg

All the drag strips in a 2 hour radius are closed down, the cruise scene is just about dead and static car shows are boring. The big, bad Bufurd just sits in the garage these days and not out hunting down Mopars and Chebbies. Time for it to move on and free up some garage space.

I spent last weekend cleaning up Allison's Cherokee and am placing it in the yard for sale. Anybody want a good/fair conditioned XJ? Once its sold we are going to drink more Toyota Kool-Aid and get her either a first gen Tacoma or a 3rd gen 4Runner for her college car. I'm looking for something with between 90 to 130,000 miles on it realistically. Ally's rooting for a Tacoma as she wants a truck though a similar year and conditioned Runner is cheaper by a couple thousand dollars.

Once the Buick is sold I'm gonna take some of that green and upgrade the Mouser. Better suspension definitely, some nicer interior upgrades, and a better rear tire carrier. One of those GR8Tops Safari Cabs keeps calling out to me...

100_3399.jpg

So that's the plan...for now at any rate.

Last edited:
Those safari cabs are the greatest visual improvement to a TJ/LJ I have ever seen. Cant wait to see that.

Back
Top Bottom