Got to brag a little

Joker

Adventurist
Founding Member
My older son recently committed to play Division I lacrosse at Hofstra University which is a really big accomplishment, they are currently rankled 9th in the country and my go higher with Duke beating UNC last night. He is finishing his senior year at St Stephens St Agnes here in the DC area and just got a small write up on Inside Lacrosse, he is the first one mentioned Seth Miller.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/03/14/whitmans-sampler-high-school-team-week-2013-march-14

Congrats! My son's first scrimmage was last night and my daughter's first practice was tonight. I love watching and coaching my kids in lacrosse and miss playing the game dearly. We will have to meet up if they play Maryland or Navy in the next few years!

My boy Cameron really wishes our school district had a lacross team, but got excited to learn that next year there will be a competitive archery team. He just hope it isn't being held during football season.

Very cool. Congratulations. That is one tough sport. There was a semi-pro team that played at the Pond (now Honda Center) a few years back. Tried to go to as many games as possible. Seemed like they never stopped moving. Great fun to watch.

I love watching and coaching my kids in lacrosse and miss playing the game dearly.

Thanks guys. Same here I'd rather go to one of their games than any pro sport any day. I finally had to quit coaching him when he moved up to U15, he was better than me at 14 than i was as a sr in high school. :D

It is hard to not be heading to College Park Sunday for both the men's and women's games. Hopefully they will both still be in it next weekend!

I know, right. NCAA Tournament this weekend so should be a lot of good Lax on tv. Hopefully next year they will expand it to 32 teams.

Last edited:
Wow the young man is on fire, he scored the overtime goal against Georgetown Prep for the win to put them in the IAC finals beating a team that beat them in regular season. For his Mom and I to be watching it in the stands it was like a made for TV moment we will never forget.

Here is the article in the Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/st-stephensst-agnes-upsets-georgetown-prep-to-earn-berth-in-iac-final-vs-landon/2013/05/16/036056a4-be36-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_story.html

And here is a vid of the goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B4r9qURe2gQ#!

My boy Cameron really wishes our school district had a lacross team, but got excited to learn that next year there will be a competitive archery team. He just hope it isn't being held during football season.

A competitive archery team... now THAT is cool. I think every aspiring outdoorsman should go through archery courses, as archery makes for great survival training. Personally, I favor traditional archery, firing a "stick bow" instead of a "cheater bow" with all the bells and whistles. Give me a Black Widow longbow any day of the week... besides, in any true survival situation, the bow one constructs from a branch and bootlaces will resemble a simple longbow. I know most competitive archery teams fire at flat scoring targets: it'd be REALLY COOL to see archery competitions held on primo 3-D courses, just like big 3-D tournaments. Factor in a few angled shots, shooting up or downslope, as they can be tricky. Maybe even rig a moving underwater target to simulate bowfishing... LOL. In one tournament my friends and I attended, the organizers had rigged a moving aerial target (bird on a wire sloping down across a small clearing), and THAT thing was hard to hit. Another fun thing to do is hold an impromptu archery competition with friends in a suitable venue, and fire at a target while riding by (no hands) on a bicycle... the same way Native Americans like the Sioux, Arapaho and Cheyenne used to fire from horseback. A steady cruiser (old school Schwinn, for instance) makes a good firing platform, just nock your arrow prior to pedaling and picking up speed, then coast with no hands and make your shot... tougher than it sounds, believe me, even from relatively short distances. You 3-D archers out there, try it sometime, and go with a wager on the side: low-scoring loser pays for steaks, beers, whatever (LOL). For safety reasons, I should add that this sort of competition is for experienced archers only, NOT beginners. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom