Expo East

Added to Calendar: 04-10-24, 05-10-24, 06-10-24

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
Considering attending. We went once when it was back at the Biltmore property in NC. My son Joe is getting pretty jazzed about the off road/ overlanding thing and this would be an ideal trip for him, I think. Just looking to see who all might be attending before I drop the coin for it. Picture for effect... If we go and you cannot find us, you are not trying hard enough :D

John
F350 and Camper.jpg

If I don't get drawn for an elk tag I will be there but only a day trip (I live 2 hours away so no camping).

If I don't get drawn for an elk tag I will be there but only a day trip (I live 2 hours away so no camping).
We may wind up with just a day trip also, and camp elsewhere to explore that area of VA. Part of the reason I am asking who is going is to see which way we go... camp on site or go explore.

Last edited:
We may wind up with just a day trip also, and camp elsewhere to explore that area of VA. Part of the reason I am asking who is going is to see which way we go... camp on site or go explore.
I wouldn't opt for camping on site unless I was doing classes or had an interest in the film fest or some other evening activities. Its camping in a field with very little space so if that's your thing its great, but if you want any solitude or privacy its definitely not the place to be. I found the show to be a bit underwhelming last year, too many large companies and not enough small guys with the new and interesting products. I saw everything I was interested in and said hello to some of the forum sponsors and then headed home after only a few hours. Corporate Expo has really changed the flavor of the event.

I like your assessment. In 2016 we referred to it as the "Overland Shopping Mall" . We have a busy fall and I have not convinced the CFO, home school principal and teacher, that it is a good plan for us to snatch a few days for this. It is only about 1.5 hours from Monticello... So maybe we can work that in.

No elk tag for me so I’ll do a day trip. Not sure which day. I prefer Friday since it’s a bit more relaxed.

I like your assessment. In 2016 we referred to it as the "Overland Shopping Mall"

Looking back. Mormon Lake Expo West in seems so much different. I had to decide what classes I wanted to take. The one that I remember the most was when a driver intentionally rolled a Toyota. We got to watch how a EMT crew would extract an injured driver and then we had to right the vehicle. Last Expo had the feel of a cross between a trade show mixed with a flee market. Honestly, If I turned down a row of booths and saw chainsaw log art or an FJ40 painted on black velvet I wouldn't be surprised.

We are making progress on attending this event. Unsure of exact plans yet, but I have submitted the package to the CFO to try to do the weekend, and camp in the wooded area, on site. With the boy's level of interest at the moment and there is a good chance she will approve. ;) If it winds up being just me and him we'll likely be rolling in Junior, his currently under construction 1996 Tacoma. If we all go, it will be in my 2002 F350. I will update via this page when I get the approval.

Back
Top Bottom