Eureka Dunes to Saline Valley Nov. 2014

DiamondBackMatt

Adventurist
See below for link to youtube video and description.
I recall visiting the forums last year around this time and there was alot of folks here making some runs to Saline Valley, Xterra's, Tacoma's Jeeps, Rovers, etc..during the Veterans day weekend. We camped at dunes and filmed at least a dozen overlanders coming and going by the dunes enroute to Saline Valley over Steel pass.
I know we like to see our rigs in the movies so take peek to see if you were one of these caught on film. Movie is 40 minutes long so grab some popcorn and a beer.

Let us know in the comments if you were one of the ones I captured.

Description:
November of 2014 we visited Eureka Dunes in Death Valley. On the way we stopped at Whitmore Hot Tubs and drove thru the Volcanic Tablelands area. Chidago Canyon, Red Rock Canyon and onto the Petroglyphs and Fish Slough. After a couple of days exploring the dunes and the Last Chance mountains. We headed up over the famed Steel Pass and Dedekera Canyon down into Saline Valley Warm Springs. In this show I did some gear reviews for the Volcano Grill, our Fiamma Awning, and our GCI Outdoor chairs. Hopefully you'll find the information useful.
Come along for the ride.
If you like us give us a thumbs up and subscribe. Don't forget to share with your friends and comments are always welcome.

Great video.

The group of Nissans was from thenewx.org. We're actually doing this trip again November 6-11th.
I wasn't on the last one, but I'll be on this time around.

I linked your thread in the planning thread over on TNX. Hopefully some of the guys will stop by and chime in.

Very nice little video...the voice over has a nice Bob Ross feel to it. ;)

You certainly captured the overland experience for Death Valley, thank you for posting!

Great video.

The group of Nissans was from thenewx.org. We're actually doing this trip again November 6-11th.

I linked your thread in the planning thread over on TNX. Hopefully some of the guys will stop by and chime in.

Thanks Steve!
Looks like alot of road closures in Death Valley. I have not seen any information on Steel pass into Saline though. But last week I heard North Death Valley road it was closed by Inyo County roads department.
Have a safe, and fun adventure. Let us know how it goes.:truck:salute

Great video.

P.S.
I saw an Xterra yesterday with leaf springs in the rear. It was behind a newer looking Xterra without leafs. Curious:confused:

Well that is what I am going for I guess. Thank you for the complement.

You're are also welcome and AutoVynamics will make custom graphics for you also. Although, they are mom and pop shop and quite busy so speed is not that fast for custom graphics. At least that's my experience.

Greetings All, I had some problem registering but was finally able to .

I too enjoyed your voice over on the video.

In the video at around the 26:30 point my rig can be seen(2005 Nissan Xterra) along with a friend of mine in the modified Nissan Frontier.
That trip we were a group of Nissan Xterras and Frontiers traveling together on a loop through the park that started at Saline Valley road at the South end,
went through Lippencott mine road, Racetrack,Teakettle junction, Ubehebe Crater , up Big pine to Crankshaft Junction over to Eureka dunes where this piece was shot and then over the Steel pass and down into saline valley hot springs.
Finally leaving through the North pass to lone pine.

That trip along with many many many pictures is described here http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90850

We also ran into a group of Expedition Portal rigs that came up Lippencott mine road a little after we did. And we ended up camping at the Homestake camp all
together. During the ascent of Lippencott mine road the ham in our group was able to coordinate with another group that was descending on the road.
we were able to park and a turnout at the lower portion of the road and eat lunch while they descended.

This averted what would have been an unfortunate meeting of 10 rigs in the middle of Lippencott mine road.

This years trip is here http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=147002
and it will have 16 rigs comprised of Nissan Xterras and Frontiers.
Amazingly we were able to get all members of this years trip to become Ham operators prior to this trip. This should make for nice clear communications while in DVNP.

My build page on thenewx.org is here http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11106
I have been working on my rig for 10 years

Cheers
ChrisHaynesUSA

Steel Pass Death Valley / Saline Valley 2014
15185097453_ca830ffe98_o_zpsac603e3f.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings All, I had some problem registering but was finally able to .

I too enjoyed your voice over on the video.

In the video at around the 26:30 point my rig can be seen(2005 Nissan Xterra) along with a friend of mine in the modified Nissan Frontier.
That trip we were a group of Nissan Xterras and Frontiers traveling together on a loop through the park that started at Saline Valley road at the South end,
went through Lippencott mine road, Racetrack,Teakettle junction, Ubehebe Crater , up Big pine to Crankshaft Junction over to Eureka dunes where this piece was shot and then over the Steel pass and down into saline valley hot springs.
Finally leaving through the North pass to lone pine.

That trip along with many many many pictures is described here http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90850

We also ran into a group of Expedition Portal rigs that came up Lippencott mine road a little after we did. And we ended up camping at the Homestake camp all
together. During the ascent of Lippencott mine road the ham in our group was able to coordinate with another group that was descending on the road.
we were able to park and a turnout at the lower portion of the road and eat lunch while they descended.

This averted what would have been an unfortunate meeting of 10 rigs in the middle of Lippencott mine road.

This years trip is here http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=147002
and it will have 16 rigs comprised of Nissan Xterras and Frontiers.
Amazingly we were able to get all members of this years trip to become Ham operators prior to this trip. This should make for nice clear communications while in DVNP.

My build page on thenewx.org is here http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11106
I have been working on my rig for 10 years

Cheers
ChrisHaynesUSA

Steel Pass Death Valley / Saline Valley 2014
15185097453_ca830ffe98_o_zpsac603e3f.jpg
Oh no Chris you're way up:eek:.
Don't tell my wife I said that.:D
Nice Xterror BTW.
I remember your rig standing out to me. When I saw you I said to myself "What does he have strapped to the hood.?" Road kill
Thanks for all the input, pictures and complement.
When did the Xterra go from leaf springs to coils?
You guys look like you had a good trip. I'm looking to do the Mojave this year a little later.
Looks like DEVA has alot of road closures this year. I think they have gotten close to 3 inches of rain so far.
Keep us updated on the trip report please.
Any ham radio installs yet?
KK6RFN over Out. :clap

Nice video Matt. Quite a relaxing watch.

Myself and a few ExPo guys were out that exact weekend last year as well.

Thanks Richard, glad you enjoyed it.
I remember lots of OL's :truck running about from all the forums, and posts. I was lurkin:lurk on the Expo also.
Got any good media to share. Feel free to ad to this thread or add a link if posted else where.:pics

I have a Yaesu FT-8800 in my rig. And a pair of FT-60r's.
My hood has a "hood bonnet" I had custom made by Raingler http://www.raingler.com/

carries most things for recoveries and air up air down,
that typically go in and out of your rig.
winch controller front /rear, shackles, air hose, hatchet, machete, etc...

rear leafs are Alcan leaf packs, stock was also leafs(just poor quality)
front are Titan components from a Nissan Titan pickup.
Upper/lower aftermarket UCA's and LCA's, SAW coilovers and ext res.
Titan front diff with 4:56 gearing and front and rear ARB lockers.

besides Death valley website and their Facebook presence
Saline valley preservation http://forum.salinepreservation.org/
has good trip reports for people coming and going through the Saline death valley areas.

Hope to see you on the trail sometime :)

Cheers

I have a Yaesu FT-8800 in my rig. And a pair of FT-60r's.
My hood has a "hood bonnet" I had custom made by Raingler http://www.raingler.com/

Very nice. That's 1 of the radios I am considering also.
Saline forum is definitely a good site for road conditions

carries most things for recoveries and air up air down,
that typically go in and out of your rig.
winch controller front /rear, shackles, air hose, hatchet, machete, etc...

Smart placement, ease of access in trying conditions shows you are a force in readiness.

Very nice. That's 1 of the radios I am considering also.
Saline forum is definitely a good site for road conditions

rear leafs are Alcan leaf packs, stock was also leafs(just poor quality)
front are Titan components from a Nissan Titan pickup.
Upper/lower aftermarket UCA's and LCA's, SAW coilovers and ext res.
Titan front diff with 4:56 gearing and front and rear ARB lockers.

besides Death valley website and their Facebook presence
Saline valley preservation http://forum.salinepreservation.org/
has good trip reports for people coming and going through the Saline death valley areas.

Hope to see you on the trail sometime :)

Ditto

Cheers

I spent 21 years working on Aircraft in the Navy(AMH1 USN(ret).
Watching the F-18 swoop around the valley makes me feel like home.

Veterans day weekend 2014 this was the Homestake camp with our sharing camping site with the Expedition Portal group

15806125252_88a16fa2c7_o_zps2bc3385e.jpg

Veterans day weekend 2014
This was the ambiguous trail coming out of Steel Pass into Saline valley down to the Saline valley Hot Springs.
15802665251_078fe9da7c_o_zps013b2af3.jpg

Last edited:
Chris- I was in the other ExPo group going the reverse direction from you guys. I believe we were headed into Lipponcott as we passed by the Homestake Camp. I heard a few of us had radio contact with you guys as we rolled by.

Ibex Springs, Amargosa Spring, Chloride Cliffs/ Chloride City

Ryolite, Leadfield/Titus Canyon, Ubehebe Crater, Tea Kettle, Racetrack, Lipponcott

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom