Dwarf Citrus?

DesertFront

Adventurist
Has anybody grown dwarf citrus in the desert regions? I was planning on getting a couple now that we have a well. I wanted one orange and one lemon. I was thinking of building a shelter to block some of the sun and to keep off the winter freeze. We can easily see 120f in hotter seasons and freezing in cooler ones. Has anybody done this in the southwest deserts that can enlighten me on this? :dunno

I've got a dwarf orange and a dwarf lime. I live in Santee, one of the hotter microclimates in the San Diego area, although we are on the coastal side of the mountains. We are also subject to a few freeze's in the winter time. My trees have held up well with minimal care. They are more decorative than purposeful. My wife likes the limes, and I'll pull an orange off and eat it every now and again. Good fruit from both of them.

I got my citrus trees. I also built a garden house out here to keep cattle and sun out.

i don't want to go using a bunch of water but I want citrus so I pot them and we'll see what happens. I am also growing some chilis, cilantro, tomatoes and strawberries. Maybe some squash too, we'll see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 79
I grew up with full size and dwarf citrus (over 18 years). I see from what you have in the pictures the half barrels may work and they may not. They may live but not thrive and produce. The roots will get to hot in the summer and need much more water. We had Meyer Dwarf lemons and 2 trees were enough to keep a family of 6 in fresh lemonade for 10 months a year. I have tried the barrels and not had near the success as in the ground.

The growing up with tree ripened fruit has ruined me for the store bought citrus. As a kid I did not like the avocados (and still do not), but all of the other fruit was wonderful. Good luck with them, and let us know haw the end up doing.

I grew up with full size and dwarf citrus (over 18 years). I see from what you have in the pictures the half barrels may work and they may not. They may live but not thrive and produce. The roots will get to hot in the summer and need much more water. We had Meyer Dwarf lemons and 2 trees were enough to keep a family of 6 in fresh lemonade for 10 months a year. I have tried the barrels and not had near the success as in the ground.

The growing up with tree ripened fruit has ruined me for the store bought citrus. As a kid I did not like the avocados (and still do not), but all of the other fruit was wonderful. Good luck with them, and let us know haw the end up doing.

When I was a kid, we got fresh citrus from my grandfathers hse. I grew dwarf citrus yrs ago in the ground too and they work well. I have little knowledge as to what the heck I'm doing with these. I too am spoiled about buying the nasty store bought stuff too. We'll see, if these don't produce, we'll regroup on the second try. I am concerned about the one or two freeze days we get here too a yr. I hope it works.

i love avocados too

Back
Top Bottom