Dutch Oven Cinnamon Rolls

taugust

Adventurist
Founding Member
Another thread mentioned cinnamon rolls in camp and the need for an oven. Here is a recipe from a Dutch Oven Convention handout that is really good.

1/2 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts

3 tubes Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls

In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cream until sugar is disolved.

Spread the brown sugar/cream mixture on the bottom of a 12" dutch oven. Sprinkle with walnuts. (The handout recommends lining the oven with foil and spraying with Pam. The liquid always seems to get through, so I have deleted that. Your choice.)

On the first row, place the cinnamon rolls on their sides, next to each other. On the second and remaining rows, place the rolls (on their sides, more of a 45* angle) over the seam where two rolls touch on the previous row (you want to lay them like you would with bricks). Lay them with a little space between, as they will expand.

Place 8 coals under the bottom (always in a ring under the outer edge, for baking), and 16 coals on top. Monitor the heat and adjust as needed to cook rolls to a golden brown, about 20 - 30 minutes. Cool for one minute before serving. Flip DO over ontothe DO lid, and remove pot. Pour the frosting from the tubes over all, and serve warm.

Enjoy

Yeah I gotta try this one at home, not when camping. I couldn't eat a whole container of that and then go hiking. And when it comes to cinnamon rolls I have to gorge on as many of them as I can. Its like crack, I just cant put them down!

Back
Top Bottom