Container gardening and rain barrels

Mr. Leary

Adventurist
Founding Member
Having just closed on our house, my wife and I are ready to start diving into the "projects we would do if we owned a house."

Generally speaking, we want to make our existence more self sufficient and our property more secure.

I figured that we could start with rain barreling and container gardening, then move into composting. I would like to say solar is in our future, but the way the state gouges you on taxes here, it becomes a less than ideal option.

Anyways, does anyone have any advice to extend? My wife can make things grow, but as for me, if it doesn't cluck, moo, talk, or bark... I will be at a disadvantage keeping it healthy. I think both my thumbs are brown.

If mosquitoes are in your area, you might want to think twice about the rain barrel. I gave up using rainfall and hooked my condensate drain from the ac units up a 50 gal plastic juice barrel and then water the herb containers, peppers, and tomato plants on the deck. Basically a salsa garden on the deck.

-Andy

At the end of June we've had 37 inches of rain for the year. It has rained almost every day since.

-Andy

Two weeks ago my wife and I brought home a free 275 gallon container. Got home and hooked it up to one downspout. That night the rain in Georgia started and by the morning the container was over flowing. I hooked up a 55 gallon barrel and its as full in two hours. That being said, rain barrels fill up, fast. Buy a cheap electric of battery powered pump and get to work putting it on the plants. I figure I should be good for the rest of the summer, if it just stops raining.

As for mosquitos, some thin mesh or even a pair of stockings around your connection should be a simple fix. If you want to go more permanent you can seal it up with silicone, just make sure the container is where you want it.

Raised beds work wonders too. The local landfill collects yard debris during the year and uses it to produce tons of compost every year. In the spring they sell it for $5 per cubic yard ($15 to fill up an F350 long bed). It works great and because of the burning process all the seeds from weeds are killed. If you've got something like this local take advantage of it. Throw some plastic or heavy weed screen under some 4x4 boxes (start small to work your way into things), throw the compost on top and you've got a weed free garden for years to come. Use reclaimed materials to make it even cheaper. I'm roughly $50 in for four 12x4 ft beds where I can grow anything, all year round.

Back
Top Bottom