Alpaca Anyone?

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Some of you might have see this thread Anybody eaten an Alpaca over on the Portal where I was inquiring about the tastiness of our neighbors doe-eyed Alpacas. Well I got enough of a response to encourage me to try some of that protein at the first possible opportunity...

Well I getting the chance to sample an alpaca. These alpacas that our neighbors raise are meant to be used for their wool and to be sold as breeder stock. they are muched loved by these folks but our neighbors came to the realization that their herd was getting too large and the older males were not productive to the herd. These old bucks had just become eating and defecating factories and were not returning any value on the costs to keep them. Our neighbors decided that if they were going to be serious about herd management they had to consider these animals like any other stock. So after sampling some alpaca meat and talking to other alpaca farmers that are entering the processing business, it was time to thin the herd.

So as we have the reputation of being pretty knowledgeable about processing and also being open to trying something new, we were approached with the offer to butcher the first couple of alpacas and test new waters. In exchange for the butchery we were offered half of the alpaca meat. So on a chilly Friday morning my father, my son and I travelled up to the neighbor’s stockyard and humanely put down two of the older bucks. If you can’t handle the reality of where food comes from proceed no farther as I will be discussing and showing images of the butchering in the posts to follow.

We have skinned everything from a porcupine to bear, elk and deer, Moose and caribou, cows, pigs, goats and a couple of Vietnamese potbellied pigs…there isn’t too many critters running around North America that we haven’t had sitting in the freezer or on a plate at some time. This gives us the experience to have quite a few different approaches to approach the task tucked away in our butchering quiver. As it is the end of March in Pennsylvania the ground is a muddy mess and as our neighbors aren’t processing savvy, the critter’s pelts were a bit mucked up. We put the animals down, loaded them up in the truck and headed over to the homestead to get them skinned.

8610896353_88f943ae28.jpg

The skinning went slow as the pelt on these alpacas is very thick; it reminded me of a bear’s hide. And as the pelts were very dirty we were taking extra care to make sure that all the crud stayed off the meat. The first one we skinned like a deer skinning from the rear and pulling the pelt down as we went. But the rear quarters on an alpaca are narrower that the front quarters and pulling the hide over the front shoulders is difficult without splitting the hide. These alpaca were similar in build to a deer but there was an odd angularity to the chest and spine, not to mention the long snake like necks. The second one we approached more like a beef as we split the hide down , but we did so in a modified manner as we wanted to make sure that dirty pelt rolled back nicely from the clean meat. It went faster the second time but if we do it again we will make sure that our neighbors give the alpacas a good cleaning before putting them down. Then we’ll split them like a beef; down the belly and chest and across the inner legs. Here’s one half way skinned…

8610895377_4cdeb616db.jpg

Once done we washed the carcasses down good, split them in twain and put them in the cooler…

8612006940_a253a25d6b.jpg

8612006006_2104af84d7.jpg

So after sitting in the cooler and chilly down, we got to processing. Out came the knives and grinder and we got to work. We debone all our meat and normally trim very lean, but these alpacas are pretty lean to start with so they didn’t need much trimming. The meat has a pork like smell though it looks and feels more like a young whitetail. The meat is very tender, but has a higher level of silver on the musculature and the tendons are very thick and more pronounced than more common critters. We cut steaks out of the loin and top round of the rear legs; made roasts out of the necks, hips and lower rounds; made up some short ribs and hamburgered the rest. The one alpaca weighed in at 145 lbs. on the hoof and after processing and deboning we ended up with 65 lbs. of protein. Just a little less return on butchered versus on the hoof than your average deer. The hamburger was double ground but these alpacas have such tender meat if we do it again we’ll probably just single grind. Here’s some pics of the processed meat…sorry for the quality I left the good camera at home…

Steaks and roasts...

8612004982_673f58dbe2.jpg

Hamburger…

8612012398_dd6c60ed10.jpg

All packaged up…

8610905763_52bebf5594.jpg

Well I was gonna fry some up tonight but we’re still overrun with Easter leftovers..so I’ll let you know what I think after cooking up one of these doe-eyed fuzzy creatures…

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out. One hears about the exotic farm creatures like Alpaca, Llama, and Ostrich being used for everything but the meat. I get the cost of breeding stock and the non cost effectiveness to butcher them. Nice to have some alternatives to beef.

If I hadn't gone vegan I'd be giving you a call.
Really curious about the taste ----- what was the feed?

I've eaten bear, caribou, elk, deer, kangaroo, rattlesnake, possum, turtle, gator, frog, & the obligatory wild boar.
Nothing came close to caribou though. Awesome.

Awesome set up for processing! Post up some pics of the walk in. Most walk ins around here are commercially made.

Nice to have some alternatives to beef.

Beef is an exotic meat at our house.

If I hadn't gone vegan I'd be giving you a call.
Really curious about the taste ----- what was the feed?

These were raised on alapha and local hormone free grains. Supposedly alpaca is one of the leanest meats available.

I've eaten bear, caribou, elk, deer, kangaroo, rattlesnake, possum, turtle, gator, frog, & the obligatory wild boar.
Nothing came close to caribou though. Awesome.

You have to forgo vegan at least on more time and try moose. Moose is the king of meats and you really should try it at least once. It'll lay yer ears back for sure Bill.

Awesome set up for processing! Post up some pics of the walk in. Most walk ins around here are commercially made.

My Pa built that set-up and it works so well we're putting in a similar walk-in cooler down here at the Clanhold. With all the early hunting we're doing now, what with crossbow and early muzzle-loading, we needed more chilling power than our root cellar provided in early fall. Also the cooler keeps produce very well. My Mom and Dad still have a couple of bushels of Northern Spy apples that still feel and taste fresh picked since they were stored there in October. The main thing is purchasing the right controller to manage the air conditioning unit. I can't remember the exact set-up off the top of my head but will get all the details and post 'em up. The old folks have hardly noticed a blip in the electric bill even with the cooler functioning 24/7 for the last 6 months. All told there's probably less than 900 dollars in the whole set-up.

You have to forgo vegan at least on more time and try moose. Moose is the king of meats and you really should try it at least once. It'll lay yer ears back for sure Bill.
Give me a couple of years to continue to clean out my arteries. I'm still at a VERY high risk of another MI --- even higher risk for stroke.
I've cleaned the calcium out of my arteries by going meatless; now I just have to get rid of the rest of the gunk.

Well it is a bit delayed but I finally cooked up some of that there Alpacy meat...I just wanted to try it as basic as possible for the first go so I prepared it simply. Gave it a rub of olive oil and garlic and sprinkled some pepper on 'em than threw them down on the grill. Served it with a stir fried rice with veggies and a Ponzo soy sauce. Mmmm.

DSC00180.jpg

The Alpaca was tasty but mild. I would reckon it had a mild beefy flavor somewhere between veal and a good hunk of Angus. It was tough as I purposely didn't tenderize or cube the steaks, next time I'll run the steaks through the cuber. I'd definitely recommend it but wouldn't personally wouldn't pay big prices for it. Its good, but not that special. Give me moose or bear anytime over alpaca.

Yea i'm surprised they were tough, could it be because of their age or diet. I would have figured it would be more like venison.

Thanks for the input. And for being the Guinea Pig. Oh wait, that's from another thread at another forum.

Burger time.

They're next. And I have a couple roasts to do.

Yea i'm surprised they were tough, could it be because of their age or diet. I would have figured it would be more like venison.

Yeah, I was surprised too, the meat feels tender when raw, I think the main reason is how tough the connecting tissue is. Next time into the cuber they go and they''ll melt in yer mouth.

Back
Top Bottom