AGM Battery thoughts

Darryl

Adventurist
I am looking at a new battery for my 2013 Land Cruiser and could use some input as to type and additional thoughts.

I had an Odyssey 1700 in my last Cruiser, a 1997, and would like to run the same in this 2013. However I read the following and it makes me think that there may be more to the decision than meets the eye. The following is what I read today.

"True and False. While the installation of the -battery may be the same for
the two battery styles, some vehicles require an extra step to tell the
vehicle that the battery has been replaced. Newer vehicles have a Battery
Sensor Module or similar systems. These systems require recalibration with a
scan tool if the battery is replaced. If the system is not recalibrated, the
alternator might overcharge the new battery and cause the battery to fail
soon after replacement."

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like that is a generalized statement from a battery manufacturer. You need specific info for your 2013. Check your owners manual or a Chiltons or maybe just call a dealership. If they don't say anything about recalibrating when changing the battery, then don't worry about it.

I work at a dealership, I checked the battery replacement procedure for your truck on an aftermarket tech site...

3UR-FE BATTERY / CHARGING: CHARGING SYSTEM: PRECAUTION; 2013 MY Land Cruiser [01/2012 -]

1. PRECAUTION

(a)Check that the battery cables are connected to the correct terminals.

(b)Disconnect the battery cables when the battery is given a quick charge.

(c)Do not perform tests with a high voltage insulation resistance tester.

(d)Never disconnect the battery while the engine is running.

(e)Check that the charging cable nut is securely installed to terminal B of the generator and the fuse box.

You can definitely put an Odyssey battery in your Land Cruiser, but FWIW, I'd go with a group 31 since it fits no problem. You can get a battery tray upgrade kit from Slee and the truth is that your factory alternator will actually never fully charge an AGM battery due to the fact that the voltage output is slightly too low for an AGM. Now there's a band-aid for this too. You can get a replacement charge fuse to replace the factory charge fuse which "tricks" the alternator into putting out a little higher voltage. Or if you're handy, you can make one yourself with a diode.

We're running 2 Odyssey batteries in our '13, both currently connected to the alternator and using the diode trick. No problems after over three years.

I'd check your source of information. I couldn't find anything in the 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser FSM cautioning about that topic, nor could I locate a part called a "Battery Sensor Module".

As with most every modern vehicles, battery power is supplied to the ECM, which is programmed to send that electricity at regulated voltage to engine sensors, other control units, other devices on the network, and every system in the vehicle that depends on information from the ECM to function properly. Information is simultaneously passed back into the ECM from all of these locations, allowing the ECM to monitor conditions at all times.

Additionally, I'd encourage you to consider Northstar Batteries. These have been getting excellent praise in comparison to other premium batteries and are supported nationally through BatteriesPlus.

Thanks all for the input, much appreciated! I did call the dealer prior to posting and the first person I spoke to said what is AGM... I was done with them at that point.

You can definitely put an Odyssey battery in your Land Cruiser, but FWIW, I'd go with a group 31 since it fits no problem. You can get a battery tray upgrade kit from Slee and the truth is that your factory alternator will actually never fully charge an AGM battery due to the fact that the voltage output is slightly too low for an AGM. Now there's a band-aid for this too. You can get a replacement charge fuse to replace the factory charge fuse which "tricks" the alternator into putting out a little higher voltage. Or if you're handy, you can make one yourself with a diode.

We're running 2 Odyssey batteries in our '13, both currently connected to the alternator and using the diode trick. No problems after over three years.

Which model Odyssey batteries are you using?

Which model Odyssey batteries are you using?
He's using PC2150-31M in the stock location for the aux battery, and a group 34 on the passenger fender than now acts as the starter battery by extending the starter and fuse block cables to that location.

However you may run a single Group 31 (PC2150-31M) in the stock location by using the SLEE battery tray kit, it comes with terminal extensions, as shown here:
20171031_185035446_iOS.jpg

Obviously I can see the larger posts, but would I want later or "need" the secondary posts? There are a few different models of the 2150.

The M designation usually denotes a 'Marine' model that has an extra set of threaded stud terminals. They tend to cost a little bit more.

They're super handy when adding things and don't wish to clutter the vehicle terminals.

Back
Top Bottom