Zam15's Adventure Build

Triangulated 4 link is so yesterday, I want to see the 3.5 link that you originally showed us work!:rolleyes:

I guess the fuel tank was the reason for your previous design. Your previous design is obviously "core math", thought process was correct...wait, no it wasn't...but they showed their work, so they still get a solid "C" for effort!:rolleyes:

Being involved with desert racing has made me believe in the race on Sunday (or Thursday/Friday/Saturday), sell on Monday. Metalcloak started advertising shocks that had a center body and shafts on both the top and bottom...I was talking to one of the owners about them, popped the race proven concept to prove the idea. I was assured that several race teams were looking at them and considering running them because they worked so well. My thought was dual pistons, no reservoir = immediate overheat. I have yet to see them on ANY vehicle, much less a race vehicle.

Looks like they might have added a reservoir, still haven't see any in person.

http://www.metalcloak.com/MetalCloak-Long-Travel-Shock-s/229.htm

Last edited:
Triangulated 4 link is so yesterday, I want to see the 3.5 link that you originally showed us work!:rolleyes:

I guess the fuel tank was the reason for your previous design. Your previous design is obviously "core math", thought process was correct...wait, no it wasn't...but they showed their work, so they still get a solid "C" for effort!:rolleyes:

Being involved with desert racing has made me believe in the race on Sunday (or Thursday/Friday/Saturday), sell on Monday. Metalcloak started advertising shocks that had a center body and shafts on both the top and bottom...I was talking to one of the owners about them, popped the race proven concept to prove the idea. I was assured that several race teams were looking at them and considering running them because they worked so well. My thought was dual pistons, no reservoir = immediate overheat. I have yet to see them on ANY vehicle, much less a race vehicle.

@suntinez has a set on her jeep

I've seen the "3.5" link work out great on several rigs, even look at a 4Runner, similar deal. Mine would just have been more adventurous. Whoever the first guy was that started it screwed up the basics.

In actuality I wanted a 4-Link but being able to smog the thing in CA has been a major headache. Still trying to figure out the fuel tank going forward. Maybe move it AZ? Ha..

Those are some interesting shocks, I get the concept. You could just duck tape two short shocks together and point them in opposite directions :snorkel

Well, we appear to be back on track! Axle is back in the truck, new body bushings have been installed, front diff is out and getting re-geared, the remaining mounting points from my leaf springs and panhard setup have all been cut out along with the spare tire bracket, 4-link getting dialed in, new beefy coil buckets coming together, there is also talk about a rear sway bar.

My hopes are up that I'll be out in the back country again soon.

Last edited:
No doubt, its been part of plan from the beginning. The body roll on the rig post long travel is a little extreme.

Last edited:
Making some good progress. Shop was finishing up the mounting points, coilover buckets, bedcage is pretty much done, frame is now boxed and plated with new cross members, new limit straps are in place. Swaybar will likely squeeze between the two fuel tanks.

I'll be honest I'm not the most excited about the gas tank situation but living in California and sporting a 4-Link options are limited. One of the tanks have been mocked up, a 2nd is on order. These are Toyota truck stock tanks. Should get 34+ gallons of fuel now.
Shops working on a removable cover for the tanks, should make it looks nicer and allow for easy maintenance access. I will definitely have to revise my storage layout however.

The holes in the bed cut for the shock towers will also see some sheet metal work, limiting the amount of material that will sneak into and out of the bed.

If I bail on CA I could see myself switching to a fuel cell that will offer 40+ gallons and have better clearance all around.

I'm also sure my crazy idea of using a flippac/habitat with this setup is out the door. May eventually go with a custom bed rack/RTT setup and ditch the shell. Hard shell camp has also been in the back of my head for a while.

As she sits now we're at 18+ inches of travel. Stock tow hitch and bumper are gone.

I'm happy with the quality of the new fab work, everything is insanely overbuilt now. Should be able to take anything that I throw at it.

Bandwidth Warning:
35908870395_f53cf40df0_o.jpg

35908872205_f7dc0e9e09_o.jpg

35069166314_05261cc109_o.jpg

35908872735_8574bd0678_o.jpg

35069166264_d9ca0b2b3f_o.jpg

35908873015_a80d6bd66b_o.jpg

35069169794_87751f5af3_o.jpg

35908870735_de7eaa3ba5_o.jpg

35069166804_9bf27de8e6_o.jpg

35908871365_c8231694ed_o.jpg

35868374916_d7ae118be6_o.jpg

Last edited:
Curious why they didn't cock the frame mounts for the upper links inward to reduce the working angle of the heims? Are you putting a rear sway bar on it?

The axle housing is sexy!

Curious why they didn't cock the frame mounts for the upper links inward to reduce the working angle of the heims? Are you putting a rear sway bar on it?

The axle housing is sexy!
I couldn't tell ya, but they're not going to move now. All welded up! Luckily heims are pretty flexible.

That housing is bullet proof! Although it will look a lot nicer with a fresh coat of paint, actually not just the axle lol

I'm not a huge fan of the rust look, I swear I'm not trying to make the next Mad Max movie

The Truck Shop in San Diego... I would no longer recommend them for large projects, just quick maintenance items for now...

After the troubles you've had getting this fabbed up, I would be loathe to have them weld in a tab with their shop name cut into it.

After the troubles you've had getting this fabbed up, I would be loathe to have them weld in a tab with their shop name cut into it.

Well, now their name is permanently tied to the work. If it turns out to be bad then their name will be tied to it going forward, and this is in a very tight community. There are a lot of eyes watching this get done.

Same if they do a great job finishing it up. If at the end of the day everything works out good then I don't mind giving them a good rep for good work.

Historically the shop has been good to me, so I don't mind giving them extra time to close the deal.
They have provided me with transportation the entire time its been in the shop.
When I also dropped off the truck for some initial repair work it was also on short notice.

Last edited:
18 inches of travel... :wow

Well, mounting a 16" shock off the axle that's about what you can get.

Just happy the back end can keep up with the front's 14" of travel.

If I swap out to hydro bumps may be able to squeeze a little more out of it.

Got an email confirmation that replacements all my stolen equipment (CB, DVD/NAV, Amplifier, Sub ect) are on order.

Those should be the last items they need to put the truck back together! Well other than the sway bar and 2nd tank.

Should move quickly now
:stars

Last edited:
Got an email confirmation that replacements all my stolen equipment (CB, DVD/NAV, Amplifier, Sub ect) are on order.

Those should be the last items they need to put the truck back together! Well other than the sway bar and 2nd tank.

Should move quickly now
:stars

So, we will see you at MRV 2024?

So, we will see you at MRV 2024?

Maybe everyone will have flying tents by then. :cool: Hard to predict what future expo swag may come...

Stopped by the shop on Friday, they're still trying to hunt down a second old school Tacoma tank but I hear they may have located one.

So back end is held for that to show up. Other than that not too much going on.
New muffler welded up, bump stops are back on the truck. .

So fuel lines are getting sorted out along with the filler neck. Sway-bar should be in this week, that's the final piece to get everything back together.

Now I need some wheels! SCS has been recommended to me as they have better backspacing.
The Stealth 6 and F5 are are also good looking.. Now I don't know what to pick from What do you guys think?

Also - Gunmetal or Jet Black?

YotaLanding_Stealth6_DGM2_Front_Alt_grande.jpg
YotaLanding_F5_DGM2_Front_Alt_grande.jpg

Back
Top Bottom