Failed Adventure Report

jismay

Adventurist
Founding Member
So I was looking forward to the September trail run and overnight trip. Been prepping the truck for the last two weeks, etc.

Got up early Saturday morning, got donuts and headed to Big Bear.

Unfortunately I only made it about halfway up to Arrowbear when I heard a BAD noise coming from the rear end (I thought).

Pulled off into the turnout at Call Box 330 362 and took a look at things. Saw lots of fluid on the differential and given the noises made the assumption that it had failed due to low gear oil. Luckily I had marginal cell service and was able to call AAA as well as alert the group that I wasn't going to make it.

After an uneventful tow home I eventually went to take a look at things late Saturday afternoon.

Again, assuming that I had a bad rear end I started by loosening the lugs on the passenger side in expectation that I would be pulling axles, etc.

I found that the passenger side lugs were rather looser than I would have expected. I then went over to the driver's side to loosen things and I instead found this:

20160924_165835.jpg
Only 1! lug still present, 3 missing, and one stud broken off and completely missing.

Luckily, the wheel was undamaged aside from some minor thread marks in the stud holes, and the brake drum and axle hub are fine as well.

After getting parts and tools the total damage is:

$13.50 for lug nuts and a pair of studs.
$30 for an air hammer and a 32oz ball-peen hammer from HarborFreight

Lessons learned:

When you have bad noises coming from the front or rear, ALWAYS check your lugnuts.

If you hear strange noises pull over and check it out! I had heard some strange noises a bit before I pulled over, but assumed it to be a bit of tread whining on the road in the corners. I didn't hear the really bad noises until I was forced to slow <25mph by a semi.

Don't jump to conclusions. Despite knowing the exact history of the rear in the truck and personally having replaced the differential center section as well as the wheel bearings, I assumed that the fluid on the differential was gear oil and jumped to the failed pinion seal diagnosis. This is despite knowing that there is a leak both from the transmission and one from the power steering that are both sending copious amounts of fluids back along the underside of the truck.

Don't be a hero. I could have tried to push on up or down the mountain but in retrospect I probably didn't have a 1/4 mile left before things seperated in a drastic manner. Better to miss one trip than to crash and miss them all.

AAA is your friend. We pay for the Gold/RV package so I have 100Mi free towing. Given that BB is only maybe 60 miles from home this translates to a lot of piece of mind in the event of needing a tow.

I've had it happen to me. I had my truck serviced before a Baja trip, drove to Baja and back with no issues. A week or two later, figured I better do a quick shakedown on the truck before my next trip. Violent shake/wobble from the left front right out of the driveway, I thought I'd lost a hub bearing...wheel was loose. No idea how it got loose, or why it didn't become a problem on the roads in Baja, but it showed up after sitting in my driveway for a week or so. I've got spline drive lug nuts usually a spline drive socket is used (a 6 point 3/4" socket will work), so I don't really think someone was trying to steal a wheel(s).

I've had it happen to me. I had my truck serviced before a Baja trip, drove to Baja and back with no issues. A week or two later, figured I better do a quick shakedown on the truck before my next trip. Violent shake/wobble from the left front right out of the driveway, I thought I'd lost a hub bearing...wheel was loose. No idea how it got loose, or why it didn't become a problem on the roads in Baja, but it showed up after sitting in my driveway for a week or so. I've got spline drive lug nuts usually a spline drive socket is used (a 6 point 3/4" socket will work), so I don't really think someone was trying to steal a wheel(s).

I figured I'd have my brakes done by Toyota before our Death Valley trip. Drove all the way up there, 6 days screwing off in the desert, all the way back. Drove to work the next day, on my way home the front left caliper lost the lower bolt so the caliper bound up the wheel on the freeway and stopped it cold. First time I'd ever been thankful for LA traffic. Never know when something's going to happen. Definitely don't need to tell you that as I'm sure you've seen some crazy things With the race trucks and in the pits.

92205fd73b6202fa488b04c0ceb4014b.jpg

ec394ce4a8807a3ecfd8dbffd83e345d.jpg

51d9bc5b096a9576bd2eeac1d7b1e72c.jpg

About a month ago on return trip from Colorado I had a wheel bearing go away on my trailer. My bad for not checking the bearings regularly, no doubt 118 degrees on highway 10 about 30 east of Palm Springs didn't help. It took AAA 2.5 hours to finally send a roll off out to pick me up! Fortunately I had upgraded my policy to 100 miles, because I was 96 miles from home. I found a place in Corona that repairs axels, so a couple days latter after removing the axel I took it to them. I was quoted to replace the end of the axel, backing plate, brakes, bearings, and brake drum was just over $300.00, I asked how much it would be for a complete new axel, brake drum to brake drum and it was only a little over $400.00. I decided to new everything and check and grease my bearings regularly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little problems can cause a big headache. A positive is that you'll probably never experience these issues again as they'll be on your radar. Both could have ended much worse.

I've had that happen to me, nearly lost my front passenger side wheel. No Ron White moment for me as I do my own maintenance and I had just installed new rotors/studs a few weeks prior. I got lazy and didn't re-torque the lug nuts after everything settled in. Lessoned learned and thankfully, like yourself, no crash, no injury, just a bit of embarrassment and cash for new parts.

Besides the obvious damage and catastrophe that can occur to yourself and vehicle, I've worked cases where a wheel lost in a similar fashion killed someone else. (Think about how heavy your wheel and tire is, now make it travel at highway speeds and then have it hit someone on a motorcycle, sound crazy? It happens).

Side note for cellphone reception issues I run a Wilson repeater with the trucker antenna, stationary I can get signal just about anywhere. If someone goes where adventure is had and wants to use cell service for fun or emergencies I can't recommend one highly enough.

Also glad this was an easy fix/tow from a call box. Deep on the trail, well that would have been an adventure!
A question for WUZombies: Explain "trucker antenna" for the Wilson cell phone booster... (I thought cell phones were 800mHz)

The cellular network bands differ in different ITU Regions. The 800Mhz frequencies is an older standard that is still used, but different frequencies are used with some different and newer standards. A mounted cellphone booster like what I have in my van has an internal antenna to capture the cellphone's transmission, an amplifier that pushes to an outside antenna. The same goes in reverse for the returning signal. The limitation after all of that is RF in the vehicle and antenna design. People much smarter than me could explain the antenna design differences in greater detail but to make a short story long I have a fiberglass mast mounted antenna with a built in ground plane that increases the performance when compared to the 2” magmount antenna that comes with the kit. If I can sniff a signal I can usually get some 3G, if I can get a couple of bars I can usually get 4G. With the original magmount antenna I could get a couple extra bars of whatever I had.

Thankfully we haven't had to use cell service for any emergencies, but it has helped when hotspotting the van so I could get some work done while traveling.

I had a trailer wheel come off once driving through Yellowstone. The tire passed me, then went out into the lake. Fortunately the wind was favorable to retrieve it.

I fixed it temporarily with some odd 3/8" bolts I had in the junk box and a nice lady Park Ranger helped me get it secured. I carried spare wheel studs after that. Trailer was an older PU frame with utility box.

I thought towing insurance was a boondoggle when I first had it with state farm. A waste of $14/year or whatever it is. Having used it a number of times over the years including a few fairly expensive tow bills, I think its the best deal in insurance. I have to pay up front, but I take the receipt into the insurance office, they ask if I had it towed to the closest place I could get it repaired, answer yes of course, and they hand me a check. Couple times the tower was familiar with my agent and they dealt directly. I gave up doing heroic roadside repairs after the first time I used the towing insurance.

During my birthday Dec 15, 2016 weekend I decided to head to Big Bear and do the Gold Fever trail. On my way up the 18 climbing all the way in my 4 banger Jeep it starts to overheat, like it went from 190 degrees to red section IDK what it was probably over 250 degrees. I managed to pull off to the side and it immediately shut off. After wondering what is going on I get out, its foggy and raining and pop the hood and check the radiator its empty, I don't have enough water to fill the radiator and resorted to using some water run off to fill up my radiator LOL.
My water pump failed and it was leaking I didnt realize it, I thought it was the lower radiator hose. I managed to drive back to Los Angeles by pulling over every 30 minutes and topping off the radiator. Now I will never leave on a road trip a jerry can with water.

I had my rear bumper with spare tire, Jerry cans and Trasharoo fail in SW BFE Montana. The Jerry can mount was barely held on by one last bolt and the can was full of ethanol free 93 octane. NO GO BOOM! Luckily there was a raft frame welder 4 miles up the road from my CG where I discovered the issue. It's now bigger and badder than before. It was money well spent!
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_5473.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG

Back
Top Bottom