How do you plan your routes?

Hisgal2

Adventurist
We are planning a trip through the New England states (leaving from North-Central PA) to Nova Scotia (with a little time on Prince Edward Island as well). I'm wondering how you all plan your routes? I have a Google map that I've dropped pins on each place that we would like to see across the country. I have some pins for New England/Nova Scotia and I would like to visit Acadia NP and also drive through the states I haven't been to yet. But, other than that, I do not know how to figure out the route we should take. We don't particularly like to drive highways, but I don't want to take forever getting somewhere on back roads either. Do we just kind of pick places we would like to see and then basically connect the dots?

Things you may need to know about our trip:
~Nissan Titan pulling a pop-up
~2 kids-8 year old and 9 year old
~Trip will be at least 16 days with the possibility of being longer if the husband can get another block of leave (we are planning on 16 days and will adjust if he can get the extra block when they do vacation picks in November)
~No pets with us (our dogs are too big and old to travel like this now)

We don't particularly like to drive highways, but I don't want to take forever getting somewhere on back roads either. Do we just kind of pick places we would like to see and then basically connect the dots?
Yes and Yes.

This June we spent 3 weeks hitting Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Arches and Mesa Verde driving over 5300 miles with my family (and another family). My kids are 6 and 4, so you may have a little more wiggle room on potty breaks than we did (we had a lot of roadside reliefs).

Our travel days were a mix of connect the dots and trying to get the miles behind us. We drove from central Texas and the drive to the Tetons took 4 days. We could have probably of done it in 2, but we wanted to actually like our trip instead of hating life. To "cheat" we hit hotels to get the kids in the pool for a couple of hours before bed time and we tried our best to keep the travel days to a maximum of 8 hours (didn't always work). Pro-tip: Embassy Suites is our hotel of choice because it is one of the few with an actual shut-the-door suite and pull out sofa. They have a free happy hour (well drinks) every evening, a cook to order breakfast and indoor pools all for just a smidge more than a Holiday Inn Express. With a pop-up you may look to locations like KOA for a couple of nights to save money, be outdoors and to have access to a pool to get your kids exercised. We ground tent and took the lazy way out for most our road days. We also used in-park cabins as transitional spots because of late arrival times for getting campsites or setting camp (for all the reserved sites we had). That all made for a happier trip made easier with the kids. We still spent a significant amount of time in camp, thankfully or the trip wouldn't have been as fun.

On the route up we ended up on the interstate a little too much, but our 5 day drive back to Texas was 95% on two lane highways through small towns and no towns. We had the chance to experience a lot of America by getting off the I-whatever. Of course the overlanding dream is to be on dirt roads the whole trek, but when trying to fit neat places that are far away in a short time that choice is often not possible.

Connecting the dots is basically it. I'll sometimes use Google maps to show the fastest route, usually interstates. Then I'll click and drag the route line onto a smaller highway or back road to instantly see the change in estimated time. It gives me a better sense for timing if we're on a time and distance crunch. But, our best vacations don't have such a set schedule.

We prefer to loosely define a path of travel or sites to see and head that way letting the road, the weather, and the road signs define our days. To me it makes for a much less stressful way of traveling. Let the journey be the destination and it won't matter where you go and when you get there. If you try to plan out a day-by-day 16+ day journey, you'll be stressed to keep on schedule to see everything and I guarantee your family will feel that stress. Unless the parks you're going to are so full they require reservations, just play it by ear and be flexible. Follow that interesting looking sign to the little county park and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

When we went to Yellowstone we estimated our date of arrival and booked months in advance because we had to, to stay in the park. We ended up having to rush to get there, then had too much time reserved and had to make decisions on abandoning a campsite that was paid in advance to see more of another park. But the rest of the trip we were able to adjust our schedule to meet our interest as we got to each location.

My all time favorite trips are unplanned. We leave the house knowing what day we have to be back, and go from there. We've managed to pull this scenario off a couple of times. Headed south to Baja on two of those trips, literally flipped a coin on several occasions to determine which way to go at an intersection. I guess that's a taste of what full timing it would be like for us, if we ever achieve that dream.

That's how things like this happen for us!
DSCF0266-1.jpg

My all time favorite trips are unplanned. We leave the house knowing what day we have to be back, and go from there. We've managed to pull this scenario off a couple of times. Headed south to Baja on two of those trips, literally flipped a coin on several occasions to determine which way to go at an intersection. I guess that's a taste of what full timing it would be like for us, if we ever achieve that dream.

DSCF0266-1.jpg

Interestingly, this is very relaxing for me.

As a type A personality and gnats ass level detail planner at work, there's something just fricken liberating about fueling up, grabbing groceries and just rolling off on a general heading.

It's nice sometimes to just go and figure it out along the way.

Living in So Cal. there are thousands of miles of desert literally 35 minutes away.

The trip planning generally is about as detailed as. Hwy 15 north and get off somewhere and head east. Where I get off and which roads and trails are all up to whim and fancy.

The exception would be knowing I'm going to the Rice airfield or someplace like that.

Interestingly, this is very relaxing for me.

As a type A personality and gnats ass level detail planner at work, there's something just fricken liberating about fueling up, grabbing groceries and just rolling off on a general heading.

It's nice sometimes to just go and figure it out along the way.
The only downside is that without reservations made when the window opens six months prior some campsites are near impossible to get.

The only downside is that without reservations made when the window opens six months prior some campsites are near impossible to get.

One of a myriad of reasons why I avoid pay campsites etc. Anything involving Reserve America, Xanterra etc somehow sticks in my craw. 13 months in advance for Phantom Ranch? The NP system has fallen to catering to the pay to play crowd and foreigners. I'd rather go chill out on BLM land or a random logging road.

One of a myriad of reasons why I avoid pay campsites etc. Anything involving Reserve America, Xanterra etc somehow sticks in my craw. 13 months in advance for Phantom Ranch? The NP system has fallen to catering to the pay to play crowd and foreigners. I'd rather go chill out on BLM land or a random logging road.
As the kids are getting older we are starting to branch out, but the past couple of years having some facilities has been quite helpful. Especially with kids who were going through potty training. I agree it is horribly annoying at times, but there are trade offs. Also it is nice to be able to wake up and be on Lake McDonald or in The Basin, etc.

Now in the first grade my son is starting Cub Scouts so I have a feeling as we start more back country camping as a family we'll be going to opposite direction with the Pack.

Side note the national forest closest to me (Sam Houston) has dispersed camping and exploring it recently I seriously wondered how many of the group's were cooking meth. (Really)

Last edited:
Google maps is definitely high on my generalized planning phase. Next, I personally love to pick up detailed maps of the specific areas I'll be visiting with layouts of campsites (primitive and paid) that also have hiking trails and 4x4 trails marked. Also having BLM, NP, NF, and private land boundaries marked is a huge benefit as far as camping goes. That way if there's something that comes up as far as POI or required alternate route, I can quickly find my way. I find the national geographic maps are pretty good, along with the Delorme atlas.

Having a major point marked and then roughly making your way there is the fun of it. Make unscheduled stops, try different routes, have backup campsites, whether paid or primitive. If there's highway travel, so be it. Maybe even mix it up with some side streets and random trails if there's a chance of running into something cool. Just be smart about the choices you make: Rig capabilities, onboard supplies, fuel stops, vicinity of major towns/cities, weather conditions, etc.

Just know where you are at all times and you'll be fine. Pick up those paper maps. Never rely on digital media!

I'm fortunate enough to be a grandpa, making kid's another option that I have! All of my grandkids (4 of them, 2 boys, 2 girls) love to go camping. My son and his wife have the girls, they trailer camp, usually at a developed site. The boys have been going with my wife and I since they were 6 months old.

Next weekend when we are remote pitting for a desert race is a prime example of the "optional" for the boys. Anyone within 150' of the pit area that is under 14 is grounds for disqualification. As much as I'd like to take the boys, it's not a good trip for them.

My oldest grandson is 6, he just into the Cub Scouts a few weeks ago. It's keeping him busy already. They had a trash clean up along a stretch of river that runs through town. There is a camping trip coming up at a local campground in the next few weeks, looking forward to that. Somehow it just makes me feel better to see kids having fun doing virtually the same thing I did as a kid.

Yes and Yes.

This June we spent 3 weeks hitting Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Arches and Mesa Verde driving over 5300 miles with my family (and another family). My kids are 6 and 4, so you may have a little more wiggle room on potty breaks than we did (we had a lot of roadside reliefs).

Our travel days were a mix of connect the dots and trying to get the miles behind us. We drove from central Texas and the drive to the Tetons took 4 days. We could have probably of done it in 2, but we wanted to actually like our trip instead of hating life. To "cheat" we hit hotels to get the kids in the pool for a couple of hours before bed time and we tried our best to keep the travel days to a maximum of 8 hours (didn't always work). Pro-tip: Embassy Suites is our hotel of choice because it is one of the few with an actual shut-the-door suite and pull out sofa. They have a free happy hour (well drinks) every evening, a cook to order breakfast and indoor pools all for just a smidge more than a Holiday Inn Express. With a pop-up you may look to locations like KOA for a couple of nights to save money, be outdoors and to have access to a pool to get your kids exercised. We ground tent and took the lazy way out for most our road days. We also used in-park cabins as transitional spots because of late arrival times for getting campsites or setting camp (for all the reserved sites we had). That all made for a happier trip made easier with the kids. We still spent a significant amount of time in camp, thankfully or the trip wouldn't have been as fun.

On the route up we ended up on the interstate a little too much, but our 5 day drive back to Texas was 95% on two lane highways through small towns and no towns. We had the chance to experience a lot of America by getting off the I-whatever. Of course the overlanding dream is to be on dirt roads the whole trek, but when trying to fit neat places that are far away in a short time that choice is often not possible.

We have discovered we do not really enjoy campgrounds that much. We did a family camping weekend at a (really nice) with our church and while the kids loved running around with the other kids, we were not fans of being woken up by people at 6 in the morning, etc. Our goal is to try to find out of the way places to camp, but we do not know if the New England states are like PA, which does not really have public land you can just crash on. Everything is gated off and it's really frustrating. Anyways, creeks are plentiful to play in and I'm not opposed to pulling off to the side of the road and letting the kids go play in a stream under a bridge for a couple of hours while we make lunch or whatever.

Our children are accustomed to traveling for long periods of time (we've flown to Alaska which takes FOREVER and have also driven down to North and South Carolina). While it is our goal to NOT be driving for long periods of time, getting out of PA and past the eastern park of New York is going to take quite a few hours. We'll explore more once we get past New York.

Connecting the dots is basically it. I'll sometimes use Google maps to show the fastest route, usually interstates. Then I'll click and drag the route line onto a smaller highway or back road to instantly see the change in estimated time. It gives me a better sense for timing if we're on a time and distance crunch. But, our best vacations don't have such a set schedule.

We prefer to loosely define a path of travel or sites to see and head that way letting the road, the weather, and the road signs define our days. To me it makes for a much less stressful way of traveling. Let the journey be the destination and it won't matter where you go and when you get there. If you try to plan out a day-by-day 16+ day journey, you'll be stressed to keep on schedule to see everything and I guarantee your family will feel that stress. Unless the parks you're going to are so full they require reservations, just play it by ear and be flexible. Follow that interesting looking sign to the little county park and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

When we went to Yellowstone we estimated our date of arrival and booked months in advance because we had to, to stay in the park. We ended up having to rush to get there, then had too much time reserved and had to make decisions on abandoning a campsite that was paid in advance to see more of another park. But the rest of the trip we were able to adjust our schedule to meet our interest as we got to each location.

While I AM a planner, I don't plan on having the entire 16+ days planned out minute to minute. I will have my Google map available with points of interest as well as a binder that will have information on those places in it (details like how long it should take us to explore those places, cost of admission, etc.) and we'll decide as a family which places to visit. Other than Acadia, I do not think any of the other POI will need any kind of reservation....unless we decide to take the ferry up to Newfoundland, which would be awesome!).

DSCF0266-1.jpg

We do random driving like that here in the state on a day that we have nothing planned. PA has sooooo many roads....more paved roads than New York and the New England states combined (seriously). And while I would love to have a 16+ day trip with no planned out destination, that is not something we'll do for a couple of years. My oldest is in the 4th grade this year and my youngest will be in 4th grade next year. We plan on taking advantage of the National Park Service's "Every Kid in a Park" program that gives 4th graders and their family free access to most of the properties that fall under the care of the NPS. That means when we go to the Flight 93 Memorial in November or Acadia NP or Yellowstone, we won't have to pay the admission fee....we might even be able to figure out a way to get free camping in Yellowstone. We just discovered the Junior Ranger program for the NPS and my kids are crazy into collecting the badges and patches.

Living in So Cal. there are thousands of miles of desert literally 35 minutes away.

The trip planning generally is about as detailed as. Hwy 15 north and get off somewhere and head east. Where I get off and which roads and trails are all up to whim and fancy.

The exception would be knowing I'm going to the Rice airfield or someplace like that.

Not quite that easy here in PA. Lots of trails and otherwise nice out of the way places to camp are gated off by the DCR. You can hike those trails, but driving them is out of the question. We don't know if the New England states are like that or if it's just PA. ...and unlike desert, you can't just randomly drive through a forest. There's just too many trees.

Around here, there is no BLM land. In fact, we LOVE to take drives into the state forest lands, but are always disappointed when we want to take an off the paved road trail only to find it gated off by the DCR. We do not know if the New England states are like that as well, so we have to do some form of planning because of that.

As the kids are getting older we are starting to branch out, but the past couple of years having some facilities has been quite helpful. Especially with kids who were going through potty training. I agree it is horribly annoying at times, but there are trade offs. Also it is nice to be able to wake up and be on Lake McDonald or in The Basin, etc.

Now in the first grade my son is starting Cub Scouts so I have a feeling as we start more back country camping as a family we'll be going to opposite direction with the Pack.

Side note the national forest closest to me (Sam Houston) has dispersed camping and exploring it recently I seriously wondered how many of the group's were cooking meth. (Really)

We always carry a small potty just in case we are in the middle of nowhere and someone needs to pee. The boy isn't a problem (obviously), but the girl-child isn't. I'll have to see if anywhere on my to-visit list has dispersed camping....tho, we'd rather not have to camp at a campground if we don't have to. ....and I'd rather not be the starring role in a horror film.

Google maps is definitely high on my generalized planning phase. Next, I personally love to pick up detailed maps of the specific areas I'll be visiting with layouts of campsites (primitive and paid) that also have hiking trails and 4x4 trails marked. Also having BLM, NP, NF, and private land boundaries marked is a huge benefit as far as camping goes. That way if there's something that comes up as far as POI or required alternate route, I can quickly find my way. I find the national geographic maps are pretty good, along with the Delorme atlas.

Having a major point marked and then roughly making your way there is the fun of it. Make unscheduled stops, try different routes, have backup campsites, whether paid or primitive. If there's highway travel, so be it. Maybe even mix it up with some side streets and random trails if there's a chance of running into something cool. Just be smart about the choices you make: Rig capabilities, onboard supplies, fuel stops, vicinity of major towns/cities, weather conditions, etc.

Just know where you are at all times and you'll be fine. Pick up those paper maps. Never rely on digital media!

Taking a non-direct route to a POI is what I want to do. Thanks for the tips on the different maps. I have already contacted the websites for all of the states that we are going to be going through and have requested travel/tour guides so that I can pin some other POI that catch my eye. I'm still receiving large envelopes from those states, but was pleasantly surprised by one of them that included a really nice map. I will have to look at national geographic maps and the Delorme atlas. Is that atlas much different from the Rand McNally state atlases???

Most of my trips planned are a combo of paper maps and google maps. I usually start with a area of interest and use my googlefu to find points of interest in the area. I then look them up on google maps to see where they are in relation to each other. Then it is a combo of paper and Google to find alt-routes. I can spend hours on maps/earth trying to find back country routes. Last time I made a route book with listed turns and road / trail names, but also drew what the intersections looked like.

The longer multi-day road / pavement trips is fairly the same but I try and look for daily stop points in the 6hr drive time range. That is where the google maps game of if I stop here than where do I stop next, and then adjust as necessary.

Most of my trips planned are a combo of paper maps and google maps. I usually start with a area of interest and use my googlefu to find points of interest in the area. I then look them up on google maps to see where they are in relation to each other. Then it is a combo of paper and Google to find alt-routes. I can spend hours on maps/earth trying to find back country routes. Last time I made a route book with listed turns and road / trail names, but also drew what the intersections looked like.

The longer multi-day road / pavement trips is fairly the same but I try and look for daily stop points in the 6hr drive time range. That is where the google maps game of if I stop here than where do I stop next, and then adjust as necessary.

That is basically what we have been doing. Our original plan of "hey, let's go to Nova Scotia and hit all of the New England states on the way" has turned into "have you thought about adding Newfoundland?...well, if we do that, would taking the Trans-Labrador highway into Quebec and then coming down through Quebec be possible?" Currently, we are planning for 17-19 days. The determining factor for that is when my husband can get his off-time. While we have a Google map with TONS of places that we would like to visit pinned, realistically we know that we will only be able to see a handful of those things because of the short time frame for this trip. So, I started with a map that gave me driving directions to Acadia Nat'l Park (one place we knew we wanted to spend a couple days in). Then, looking at our "places we want to go to" map, I picked a POI in Connecticut that we will probably spend a few hours exploring and then started looking for something interesting in Rhode Island. Our kids are all about getting Junior Ranger badges at National Parks Services properties, so those are high priorities for us. We didn't see anything along those lines in Rhode Island, but I did discover that we can camp on a beach there which really peaked my husband's interest. So, for us, that is day 1. I have gone along like that, plotting the "must sees" for us and figuring out how far we can/should go in a day,etc. It's much more planned out than most people would want, but at this point our goal is to cover the New England states as well as the eastern provinces of Canada and that is a hard thing to do in just 19 days. Everyone in our family is going to get to see stuff that they are interested in. The hubby will get to drive the Cabot Trail, my daughter will get to visit Green Gables, my son will get to look for sea glass, we will all get to take some nice hikes, and I will get to see the views and walk the beaches, etc. I've currently gotten the first 9 days "planned" and have us to the north-western tip of Newfoundland.

I know my general directions, like west and northwest, so when I'm out there I avoid interstates and big cities like the plague. I always look for alternative routes that go in the same general direction and study the lard out of my Benchmark maps and I almost always stop at every National Forest ranger station I come across to ask for advice on routes, camping and road conditions. I'm an off the beaten path Gnomoblie bush wackier whacker. I also like to have an open itinerary with flexibility to change my routes. Lastly I ask my friends about where to go when in Gnome...funny thing is one of the last great places I experienced was from a Bigfoot sighting on YouTube I managed to slow the video down enough to read some of the road signs they were passing, tracked it down on maps and Google Earth and two months later I found myself driving there in NE Utah. Spent nearly a week there looking for my cousin...

Last edited:
Plan routes?

I usually just plan how many days I can be out. Then a general area I will be in. I tell my wife, I will be in Canyonlands, 6 days. See you in a week. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plan routes?

I usually just plan how many days I can be out. Then a general area I will be in. I tell my wife, I will be in Canyonlands, 6 days. See you in a week. [emoji57]

THAT sounds relaxing :cool:

Plan routes?

That's great, but not realistic for this trip. We each have a little goal we'd like to achieve during this trip and without a plan, we wouldn't get very far. So, somewhat of a plan is needed.....we need to get to point "A" by this day, etc. Once we get to that point, let's see what we can see and learn about the area, but just wandering around is not going to work this time for us. So, planning is what we are doing.

That's great, but not realistic for this trip. We each have a little goal we'd like to achieve during this trip and without a plan, we wouldn't get very far. So, somewhat of a plan is needed.....we need to get to point "A" by this day, etc. Once we get to that point, let's see what we can see and learn about the area, but just wandering around is not going to work this time for us. So, planning is what we are doing.
You are right. As you mentioned in an earlier post, it is different here in the east. Land open for dispersed camping is harder to find for sure, makes for a totally different planning requirement in my opinion. Although not for this trip, you can find enough NFS land to do an open/not a lot of planning type trip south of you in West Virginia. Tons of dirt road opportunities, enough interesting places to target and occasional hidden gems.

Back
Top Bottom