Ground tents... An open ended discussion

@TangoBlue - Thank you very much for the resources. Using those as a jumping off point, I've spent sometime further researching the Oz Tent.
I've kind of come to the conclusion that it will take far more consideration. Not something to dive headlong into on a whim!
There is a whole world there besides just buying the tent itself.

Thanks again for the info and taking the time to craft that post.

While I was browsing the Oz Tent site, I came across the Eyre

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I didn't know it existed.
If you guys think a new thread is warranted, let me know and I'll start one!

If you are in So Cal and want to borrow my RV5 let me know. Great tents but heavy and take a lot of room to store. I have used mine in snow and high winds without issue. They do get hot in direct sun but that may be reduced with the rainfly which I haven’t tried.
Eric

While I was browsing the Oz Tent site, I came across the Eyre

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I didn't know it existed.
If you guys think a new thread is warranted, let me know and I'll start one!
We usually stick with an existing thread instead of starting a new one... just jump on one of the ones I referenced to you earlier. The Eyre is the same tent pattern just different material.

I have a trailer with an RTT mounted on top that is my main camping setup. But for times I can't or don't want to pull the trailer I have a Eureka Assault Outfitter 4. Well made tent that does not require a lot of staking and is decent sized but packs down to 24x10 inches.
. They stay very dry even in heavy downpours. Got one from Campsaver when they had one of their 20% off sales so I got for around $380 if I remember correctly. Mine is a newer one without the clear strip in the rainfly door that gave problems with earlier tents and it came with copies of MSR groundhog stakes. I also have a Nemo Losi 2P I use for motorcycle and kayak camping.

Last edited:
I saw this video of a Springbar tent on another forum, impressed the hell out of me...

That video was one of the deciding factors is us buying our Kodiak (same basic design) several years back

If I was in the market for a tent, I'd sure give that one strong consideration, price/weight/stored size be damned!

I went with and still use the Black Pine.
Dunno if I believe how fast they say these winds are, but it looked solid enough for my needs.
Super fast setup and lots of room inside.

Different solutions work for different folks, and different trips mean different requirements. Although ground tents are less popular lately among the fashion conscious overlanders, I would argue that they possess a utility and versatility that is tough to beat with any other solution.

Lets take my long time go to tent, dubbed "ol' reliable." It is an ozark trails trails tent that I purchased about 10 years ago along with two smaller tents that attached to it, for less than $100. I have since lost / retired the other tents, but this one, the centerpiece, still remains. A simple 5 pole design that meets in the middle, it is one of the easiest tents imaginable to set up quickly or in the dark / bad weather. While not supremely light weight, it has come along on a couple backpacking trips with me and served its purpose as a roomy two person shelter, or three in a pinch. Ive easily spent 200nights in the tent, a number I thought I would never get close to given the price point. It has weathered storms in New Mexico, Texas, and Arkansas... it's the loaner tent, the tent for those rowdy wheeling trips with the fellas, and the tent that I don't quite love, but can never justify getting rid of. The way I see it, it's paid for itself many times over, and its earned its place in my gear loft. No plans to get rid of it, even though I have other tents that see more use nowadays.

Lets hear about your favorite, or not so favorite, ground tents!

WoW! You really told a story that moved me. And we are talking about a tent here! It would've been great if these tents would still be manufactured. From the sounds of it (you mentioned that it's heavy) I imagine that the material it's a thick waterproof textile one. I think I know the type of tent you're talking about. Those green old school ones.

Does anyone know if Black Pine Sports quit making the Turbo Tents? I moved my RTT to my trailer, and I'm not sold on my ABR awning room (especially when it's windy), and have been looking at cheaper options for fast set up and take down. I was looking on their website, and they don't show any products available under the turbo tent tab.

Link dropping is against forum rules.
Although a member of this forum disqualified most (if not all) the tents from this list, they are definitely cheap and a go for entry-level enthusiasts. Mr. Leary, just like you said, you bought a tent for lower than $100, this was 10 years ago and it still holds up to this day. Although the Marmot Halo 4p would be better for sure someone could buy a Coleman to first see if they seriously want to get into camping. I'm talking strictly about beginners. It would be a waste to use an amazing tent once or twice just to let it rot afterward somewhere in a forgotten place :camping

Last edited by a moderator:
Spammy links are against forum rules and will be deleted on sight.

TERMS OF SERVICE REMINDER:

12. Self-promotional links to your blog, site, video channel, product, business, etc. are limited to your forum signature and your user profile. Vendors who are not site Sponsors may not send unsolicited PM's to our members. Memberships created solely for these purposes will be Banned.

Although a member of this forum disqualified most (if not all) the tents from this list, they are definitely cheap and a go for entry-level enthusiasts. Mr. Leary, just like you said, you bought a tent for lower than $100, this was 10 years ago and it still holds up to this day. Although the Marmot Halo 4p would be better for sure someone could buy a Coleman to first see if they seriously want to get into camping. I'm talking strictly about beginners. It would be a waste to use an amazing tent once or twice just to let it rot afterward somewhere in a forgotten place :camping
Ahhh... Mr. Leary. That brings back old memories. Haven't seen Mike in... like 8 years? Plus he dropped off/left the forum over 5 years ago. Nice to see someone dig up one of his old posts and bring it up again. Wonder if he even has that tent still since he switched to a full-size truck arrangement many, many years ago. Not that I'm in to "Necro-post-opsy," but we don't judge here, @John Miller. :D

If someone is looking to try camping before they make a serious investment they might borrow a friend's good tent first. Or buy used at a swap meet where they can also talk to others about their experience. Look for a discontinued line of tents from manufacturers who make amazing tents. Buy off season. Or any combination of the previous. Most important is asking someone that's experienced with the tent before they buy if they can.

Imagine what someone's experience would be like if they prepared to go hiking for the first time and they did so by buying the lowest cost shoes they could find. Despite ignoring the recommendations from an experienced hiker. Great for the salesman who sold them the shoes but that person would be miserable and think hiking sucks and probably not try it again.

There's no reason why you can't get a good tent cheap.

Spammy links are against forum rules and will be deleted on sight.

TERMS OF SERVICE REMINDER:

12. Self-promotional links to your blog, site, video channel, product, business, etc. are limited to your forum signature and your user profile. Vendors who are not site Sponsors may not send unsolicited PM's to our members. Memberships created solely for these purposes will be Banned.

I understand. My deepest and honest apologies for my disrespect. It will never happen again, you have my word.

There are gear swap sites also targeting outdoor enthusiasts. I know of one in particular that backcountry.com uses to sell overstock and returns. Where do you want to place the risk? Do you want a $160 tent that may fall apart in the first windstorm or do you want a $400 tent for $163.79 that was a return?

e.g. ALPS Mountaineering Tasmanian 3 Tent: 3-Person 4-Season Copper/Rust, One Size - Excellent

I have the Tasmanian 2 that I carry on the bike and based off my experience with it I would recommend getting it at this price. My tents get thrown in a dry bag anyway so the fact that the carry bag is missing is irrelevant. Sure this tent will be gone soon but there will be others. Lurk on those sites and you'll find them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom