Updates? A good, reasonably priced effective standalone "two-in-one" GPS unit?

4x4x4doors

Adventurist
Yeah, it really was a cool unit.

Two in one is where it's at. Give me something with street nav that easily transitions at pavement's end to show trails, and that let's me plug in a coordinate to navigate to a fixed point, and leave breadcrumbs to find my way back, and that's ALL I really need.
<He was referring to a Magellan TRX7>

I'm looking for something that works off-road and on foot.
My current tools are:
1) a Garmin Nuvi that's very long in the tooth and even with a recent battery replacement won't last in disconnected mode on foot for more than a couple of hours.
2) Built-in GM Nav unit in the dash. Won't allow direct coordinate input and doesn't do the on foot thing very well either.
3) Cell phone apps. Battery life and needlessly complicated. Cell coverage spotty.

Little concerned about accuracy. Have spent several hikes looking for an unmarked graveyard and find my actual location varies considerably from pre-trip google map scans of an area.

My ideal allows coordinate input, will work on roads, keeps a track if desired.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate the input.

I've owned a Garmin 60CSx for many years and it will do everything you're describing, but with an interface that's like using Windows 3.11 with only a keyboard. That being said it is fool proof, rugged, runs off an 12v plug in the vehicle and AA batteries in the field. Waterproof(ish), shock and dust resistant. It's never failed me. It's long since been discontinued, but the newer models (like the 66s) seem to have an improved screen, faster processor and, unfortunately, the same archaic interface. If you can get past the 100 button presses to input things they're solid units. My 60CSx has a companion desktop app that allowed for downloading a list of waypoints or POI's so that in the field there wasn't all the tedious button pushing, you can just select POI's you previously put in on the desktop app and off you go. Accuracy was another of the reasons I went with this unit. It typically is accurate down to about 10ft. Many other units have a resolution of 50 to 100 ft...that's a pretty big margin of error if you're looking for a specific point in the back country.

As far as price goes these units aren't inexpensive but they're certainly not priced like some of the "Overlander" models out there. Do remember that like most stand alone GPS units, you'll probably end up having to purchase specific maps depending on what you want to do so that can add to the cost. That being said seem to recall paying $399 for my 60CSx roughly 14 years ago and it's still going strong.

Garmin still sells the 60CSx. It's pretty much an antique today though, and still $399.

"The 60CSx is nearing the end of production, but at the time of writing is still available. The new GPSMAP 62s is the successor."

The newer GPSMAP 62 is $299 according to their site.

<He was referring to a Magellan TRX7>

I was referring to the Magellan Crossover that I had. Back in like 2007 it was the bees knees :)

51JTKVQBZTL._AC_.jpg

I'm looking for something that works off-road and on foot.
My current tools are:
1) a Garmin Nuvi that's very long in the tooth and even with a recent battery replacement won't last in disconnected mode on foot for more than a couple of hours.
2) Built-in GM Nav unit in the dash. Won't allow direct coordinate input and doesn't do the on foot thing very well either.
3) Cell phone apps. Battery life and needlessly complicated. Cell coverage spotty.

Little concerned about accuracy. Have spent several hikes looking for an unmarked graveyard and find my actual location varies considerably from pre-trip google map scans of an area.

My ideal allows coordinate input, will work on roads, keeps a track if desired.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate the input.

I use my iPhone for most nav. It's been pretty damn good actually and with Gaia and now OnX, very hard to beat since it works easily in the vehicle (Carplay) and dismounts in an instant.

Battery life is enhanced by turning off Bluetooth, and with an additional battery pack like the one I have from Lion Energy, It's good for a several FULL charges which enables a couple of days off grid.

lion-energy-prowler-wireless-power-bank-248.jpg

If VERY far out in the boonies, you should also consider an inReach for backup, which I also like.

Back
Top Bottom