TENT FLAP MODIFICATION

Borrego60

Adventurist
Founding Member
While camping in high winds I was tired of the wind lifting up my tent flaps and exposing us to the cold air. My buddy Roger and I were thinking about having some velcro sewn into the inside of the flaps and sealing out the wind, this would use the same velcro for the bug netting. The tent would have to be taken off the frame and a canvas shop doing the work. Not an option. Roger came up with the idea of using a strong magnets to do the job and then inserting a metal bar into the pocket which is already there behind the flaps. I did just that, counter sunk the magnets for a smooth finish and used SS counter sink screws. The metal bar was wrapped in Gorilla tape to protect it from rust. It works greats keeps the flap tight against the wood and gives a good seal from the wind trying to sneak into the tent. It also helps in rolling up the tent flaps. The black bar is the part that will go into the flap pocket, picture with the glove shows the pocket behind the flap.

Attachments

• DSC03125.jpg
    DSC03125.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC03127.jpg
    DSC03127.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC03128.jpg
    DSC03128.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC03129.jpg
    DSC03129.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC03131.jpg
    DSC03131.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03130.jpg
    DSC03130.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 131
Well done! Very clever modification; elegantly simple solution... one that manufacturers ought to incorporate in their design.

Great job, Richard! Those are the same magnets I use for my Mic Clip mod! :)

And I agree with Tango. So easy and affordable for the manufacturers to add!

Thanks guys, it was a fun mod and it works great so far now to test it out, Fish Creek News years?????

We've been meaning to call you, to return Anna's call... But this has been the crappiest week EVER. Even worse than what you know we just went through.

There are plans on the front burner to put something together the week following New Years, with Dwight and Maile. I'll call you tomorrow.

Sounds good, I should be home all day,playing with the XLT5000 program software trying to find where the Soft ID is located so I can turn it on. I have Tuesday and Wesnday off of each week and of course the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom