Snow Peak....anonymous

What are your guys thoughts on the differences between the Baja Burner and the Flat Burner? I'm looking for more on the functionality, how hot, how they function in the wind.

I have 2 Baja Burners that I have been using and my 18" Partner Steel stays at home unless I'm cooking for a bunch of folks. But I was thinking of integrating a Flat Burner in my Habitat build. Thought is I to put it in the cabinet top.

I’ve had both. The actual burner is nearly identical.

Flat burner stows slightly smaller, but takes more fiddling to assemble/disassemble.

Baja burner is infinitely easier to deploy or stow.

Wind protection is nil on each, but they both do ok.

Awesome, thanks for the breakdown. I'll just keep my duo of Baja Burners. I can use those funds for a SP Single Action Low Table.

Of note, I've watched the cycle over the last several years where they dole out STEEP discounts on the clothing line in order to move derelict inventory that they clearly can't sell.

I remember hearing awhile back from someone inside SP that the story with this "fashion forward clothing line" involves the founder's granddaughter in Japan. This is her project.

Since its inception, I've watched in horror as each iteration of this clothing line fell flat on its face here in the US. Not only is it WAY overpriced even for Snow Peak, but I've also yet to see ONE single piece that I'd ever wear.

With a look that falls somewhere between the inhabitants of a dystopian Japanese future, and homeless Japanese meth head attire, I just can't understand how their front office keeps pouring resources into that project.

o_O
X2 love the gear , never a fan of the clothing line, let alone , I doubt it would fit a farm animal like myself.

The same folks who buy Hunter Bidens paintings are rocking this clothing line.

You may want to think about mooching someone's old shelter half and move into it with the dog before you try a stunt like that.......

:tent:campfire:starrynight:rollingpin

Well... technically he would then need the stove. So there's that.

I carry around a fajita skillet that I can place on top of a stove or just set it on coals. Not SP but also not a ticket to the dog house.

Cigarette butt from previous campers optional.

PXL_20210530_203815041.PORTRAIT_3.jpg

Speaking of not being Snow Peak and the dog house...

... I finally broke down and grabbed the Kovea 3 in 1 BBQ.

The Dream Gas BBQ or 3 way, is the perfect companion for indoor or outdoor cooking. This is the all in one cooking stove that does everything you ever need, personalized to fit on a table perfect for grilling, cooking stews, shabu shabu, fondu, kabobs. It comes equipped with 3 different types of cooking trays and has a unique U shaped flame head to evenly distribute heat and flame throughout the pan. Take this portable cooking stove anywhere you want to cook and not worry about how to cook but what to cook.

Once it gets here and I cook with it a bit I'll let you guys know if it's worth the hype.

KG-0904P-05.jpg

KG-0904P-07.jpg

Picked up the XL Snow Peak fire pit. They had 20% off and free shipping!

The fire pit is approximately 24"x 24". They don't offer any accessories like a grill or pizza oven yet but I'm hopeful they will eventually.

Snow Peak fire pit 1.jpg
Snow Peak fire pit 2.jpg

Picked up the XL Snow Peak fire pit. They had 20% off and free shipping!

The fire pit is approximately 24"x 24". They don't offer any accessories like a grill or pizza oven yet but I'm hopeful they will eventually.

I'm glad they finally made an XL version. Sadly I'm pretty well invested in my L though or I'd be all over that!

ANNIV22 is a 20% off coupon at REI. This brings the Grill Burner down to $219.89. Is that a good price?
Where are folks buying Snow Peak goodies these days at prices lower than the official store?

Explanation: I'm carrying around too much crap! Just because there's a lot of room in the Hiker and LC doesn't mean I have to fill it all! Our typical kitchen set up is a 3-height APLS Guide Table with my 1980's Coleman 425 white gas stove and my Jetboil. Standard Skottle sets beside the table. (See photo - yes, we're in a campground. Deb isn't quite ready to sever the tie to real toilets and showers, despite having both onboard...)

IMG_6297.jpeg

Anyway, The Coleman, Skottle, and ALPS table are bulky to pack and use three different fuels including the Jetboil. A basic Snow Peak IGT with the grill and a burner could replace all of this. Add a flat griddle to substitute for the Skottle and the small aluminum griddle on top of the stove and I'd be golden. And seemingly packing mush smaller. Down side is the initial cost, and isobutane is more expensive ongoing expense than white gas and propane.

I'm probably just idly speculating, but curious as to your thoughts.

EDIT: Or, better yet, just the IGT and the Double Burner with a big griddle across both. This option includes a wind screen.

Last edited:
Well Steve, I too have suffered from too much “camp kitchen crapola”. I’ve run the gamut from old school Coleman white gas stove to minimalist single burner propane stove and a pan to full blown “overland gourmet” IGT system (the entire flippin’ catalog).

Today I’m either butane or iso butane. White gas just sucks to deal with (and is getting rare), and propane (while convenient and ubiquitous) has limits in extreme environments (not good in the cold or at altitude). I just purchased the Kovea 3 Way to eliminate the need to carry a skottle and burner and a BBQ grill… so now it’s just that and a Jetboil if all goes well.

That said, that’s a great price on the SP grill burner. Interested to see what your experience is with it!

Back
Top Bottom