Our Stock as Possible FJ Cruiser: Hattori "The Ghost" Hanzo

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Formerly titled..Not Quite What We Wanted FJ Cruiser

...or how stuff just gets dumped in your lap rather you like it or not and when it does you just have to do the best with what you have at hand and hope for the best. This is one of those tales.

Winter 2014 has not been a kind one. Too cold, too long and, oh yeah, my daughters 01 Tacoma DC is caught up in a wreck. She was OK and it wasn't her fault but the end result was a banged up Taco. Off to the body shop it went for repairs while the girl went back to college carless. A few weeks became a month and we were still waiting to get the truck back when we go a phone call. The truck was damaged more than they thought and now it was going to be totaled. I was flabbergasted and saddened as the truck was one of the nicest examples I have ever seen and the visible damage wasn't that bad but after having it in the shop they found that the frame was tweaked and suspension components were damaged. So the knacker yard was getting the shell but the Taco died a warrior's death protecting my daughter from harm and we know its spirit is in Truck Valhalla.

DSC00382.jpg

Great...now I have to buy a damn vehicle. On the plus side the insurance gave us a substantially higher pay-out check than we had invested in the truck. I soon found myself trying to find a safe, reliable and affordable ride in the heart of the rust belt. Clean, rust free rides are scarce and cost a premium so it takes a lot of searching to find one that's also a good deal. I wasn't having any luck and was getting frustrated when it occurred to me that I had the perfect vehicle already in hand for Allison...my wife's 04 4Runner.

100_3162.jpg

A great, dependable ride; better gas mileage than the Taco; mountain goat like traction in its AWD system so that it's always ready for any road condition our climate throws at it and its a cool ride. Only problem is that my wife loves it. But she had been hinting about getting a newer vehicle as the Runner is reaching up there in miles so I broached the subject of procuring her a newer ride. Surprisingly she was all for it as she had come to the same conclusion as I had. It just made the most sense financially in the long term for the family. The wife had one caveat though, she wanted a newer version of what she already had. Do you know how hard it is to find a 2007 to 2009 V8 4Runner up in the snow belt for sale? Well it's real hard and the few I found were pushing the $23,000 to $25,000 mark. Now with two girls in college (Michelle the wife and Allison the daughter) and with us trying real hard not to have to borrow any money to get them through we really didn't want to use more than the insurance check we got from the truck. Than just to add more angst to the mix I had decided to put my '04 Jeep Unlimited for sale as it just sits in the garage most of the time. If we were going to get a newer ride I would like it to be both a daily driver for the wife and a capable replacement for the Heep. This left out car based SUVS like the RAV4 or Highlander.

102_3608.jpg

Well after a lot of test driving and price comparisons we somehow found ourselves considering FJ Cruisers. The V6 4Runners weren't cutting it for us and they were going for a couple thousand more than the same year and mileage FJCs and we found no other brands or models that fit all the criteria we were looking for...

*Gas mileage around 18 mpg.
*Dependable and reliable with a robust drivetrain.
*Highly capable vehicle in stock form that can take us to work no matter what the weather, across the country or any back road we come across without any reservations.
*Though it's usually just the two of us driving about any new ride had to haul four comfortably at times.
*Priced below $17,000.

And despite not being exactly what we wanted and it's innate quirkiness, we found the FJC fit the bill better than anything else. Soon one followed us home, a 2007 with 75,000 miles on it...

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

Equipped with the Upgrade 2 package it comes with the locking rear diff, the ATrack system, power inverter, parking assist, TRD exhaust, some funky "rock rails" and a whole lot of quirk, it has made itself at home. So far the family really likes it though it will take some getting use to but I think we'll enjoy it. Which is surprising as I really didn't like these when they first came out. But it drives and rides very nice, the seats are more comfortable than the Runners and despite the smaller back seats the kids like it back there. More so than bumping along in the back seat of the LJ.

So what are our plans for it? Other than being Michelle's runabout it will serve as our couples retreat vehicle for extended travels when we don't need the full kit that rolls with the Tundra. I plan on ditching the current rails for something a little stouter and with a step for the wife. As we would like to mount the Maggie on it sometime and the factory rack is a behemoth mess I thinking a Front Runner or Baja flat rack would be nice to drop the tent mounting height down. Also we'll mount up a deer thumper bumper to protect it from the local mujihadeer and I'll throw the Warn from the LJ on to it for recovery. Other than a good set of tires that will be it...keeping it as stock as possible will be the mantra of this vehicle. So far we are off to a good start as the wife likes driving it and the first tank of gas netted us 20 mpg.

So as the weeks and months pass we'll see if this was a good idea or a dumb one. And while this thread won't be a build thread per se, I'd like to see it as more of a vehicular diary of our time with it. Maybe this thing will earn a name and a thread title change if it proves its worth to our Clan..

Last edited:
Wow, sad to hear about the Tacoma's demise. I really like the FJ, good find too. It was between the FJ and JK that I was debating a year ago. I couldn't get a manual transmission in the FJ unless it was full time 4wd. I would at least had a roof that didn't leak with the FJ.

-Andy

It was between the FJ and JK that I was debating a year ago.

As long time Jeep owners (we've had six of 'em in the last couple of decades) we have a soft spot for that brand. And while we like the JKU and it was on Michelle's list of vehicles it just didn't work for us. We wouldn't even consider a pre-2012 model because of the crappy engine in the older ones but that put us in a price range we just weren't willing to pay. Even a basic high mileage 2012 JKU in Sport trim has an asking price of over $30,000 in these here parts. Used JKURs...you might as well buy new as much as they cost. I'm not wiling to pay that much for a used Jeep.

And while the FJC has it's own issues (it ain't the easiest thing to see out off) it just made the most financial sense in our situation. Michelle really misses her 4Runner though and I think Allison is hoping that her mom will take it back and she'll get the FJ. Ha! Fat chance of that.

Good points, the Jeeps have a ridiculous resale value. I traded a 10 year old 150k mile 03 Rubicon for 8.5k on the 2013. The 3.8 engine is worthless in the earlier JKs, would not own one for anything. I do like the FJs, even with the sub like visibilty, they are stout and capable. You may find keeping the younger one out of the FJ a difficult task. I can say I am glad that is not my undertaking. Good to hear that Allison was safe.

Take care
-Andy

I loves me my FJ! Yea, the "seeing out of it" is a learning curve but seriously...I prefer it over my wifes 07 Camry V6. It rides better, has more room both leg and head, and is mucho quieter on the road. I've had my FJ since June 2009 and enjoy it as much today as I did when I first got it.

Do me a favor though...if another FJ waves...wave back!

Will do! I'm going to miss the "Jeep Wave" after the Mouser gets sold anyway.

Ah, selling the Jeep.. Maybe you can include that plate along with it! :) Might have something for you to replace it with anyway....

I swear I don't even really like silver its just what colors we happen to get a good deal on. We had our sights set on a sharp black cherry colored one but it got sold before we got a chance to go see it. At least the silver does a good job of hiding the salt spray in the winter and the dirt road dust during the summer.

And no, she won't let me take it to Houtzdale. I might have to borrow a shotgun seat next time as Fafhrd just ain't gonna fit down there.

Congrats on the new ride for Michelle. Sad about the DC Taco.... we had teh same problem when our daughter wrecked teh '98 4Runner, damage didn't look bad, but lots under the fender.

Time to tinker...

So last night the Mouser was sold and I swear it wasn't fifteen minutes after it was gone that Michelle started all this "I'm gonna miss him" and "What are we going to go exploring in." Well, we do have a modded Tundra and we did buy the FJ as the LJ replacement dear lass so it's not like we don't have options. So with using separation anxiety as a lever I got the green light to begin the process of modding the FJ to fulfill the Mouser's role of weekend warrior fun machine. With twice the mpg, alot better comfort and ride and more than likely a better performing drivetrain (ie...locker and ATRAC vs. limited slip in the Jeep) This Toyota should easily outshine the LJ for what we will use it for. Keep in mind that the mantra for this ride is "Stock as Possible" so I won't be turning this humble FJC into the ultimate overlanding vehicle or a farkle festooned build. Nor will this be a speedy process as I'm gonna think long and hard before spending my money and than look for good deals along the way.

That all being said, adventures in the FJ so far have been pretty tame. We've been real busy this year and between that and the really crappy wet weather there haven't been much opportunity to use this thing other than in it's daily driver role.

IMGP0614.jpg

The more we drive it the more we grow to like it. Gas mileage hovers around 21 mpg using 89 octane, but we have seen as high as 23 with extended use of premium gas. Michelle just can't bring herself to pull into the premium pump though.

I hate the factory rack, what a useless tangle of oversize jungle gym hardware that isn't suited for any good purpose other than looks. I lucked out though as the Yakima Railgrabber load bars we used on the 4Runner fit the FJ's factory bars. The Kayaks fit up there nicely though its a stretch for my petite wife to get the boats on top of that high rack. Did I mention I hate the Factory rack? Yes? OK...I'll move on.

IMGP0767.jpg

Alright it was time for a road trip let's throw in the old GPS and get to roll....ing?! Where the Hell do you mount a GPS in this thing? The window sits too far forward for even my arms to reach it with a window mount and there's no way Michelle can. And look at the dash...

DSC01417.jpg

Let's see here. Storage bin in front of the driver, can't put it there. Big bulbous gauge pod in the middle, hmmmm, if I put it there Michelle can't see her precious outside temperature. To the right is the airbag but if I mount it there if we were to have an accident the Garmin becomes a Missile of Doom. Hmmm, double hmmm...I need a mount. Hey, I have, errrr, had, a ProFit mount in the Jeep I'll get one of them. Crap I don't want to spend $60 bucks on a bent piece of metal. OK lets hit Amazon; lo and behold what is this? A bike handle bar mount with the 17 mm Garmin uniball for under $10 bucks? Saweeet, that looks doable. And it was as I mounted it to the rearview mirror support right above the mirror itself. Easey peasey and the Garmin tucks up there real nice and solid while still receiving maximum satellite signal.

DSC01419.jpg

tt
DSC01420.jpg

DSC01421.JPG

This has been working excellently while also having the extra benefit of having the unit out of sight. I do want to re-route the power cord along the headliner and down the B-pillar but I need to mount an auxiliary power socket to the passenger side of the dash to accommodate the length of the power cord.

Next its time for some new tires as the meats on it are getting a little long in the tooth....

Last edited:
There are a lot of dash mods out there for the FJ, just like the JK, usable space up there is at a premium, so many have found ways to make things work. Like that GPS mount you found.

Starting off right, Mark! Love that plate up front! :D

That looks good. Can you route wires on the pillars with side curtain airbags?
We do that at work all the time. You just have to make sure they're zip-tied to the body between the windshield and the airbag, on the opposite side of the "blast zone".

That's a great alternative mount for the GPS, although I was going to recommend something waaaay cooler and more fitting for your active lifestyle.

images

images

Google Glass loaded with Maps and Offroad Navigator will take you everywhere you want to go and look "cool" doing it. :cool:

Time marches on and there's slow progress on the FJ front. We took it a few places...

IMGP0766.jpg

DSC01518.jpg

DSC01522.jpg

DSC01635.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

We put together a matching trailer for it to tug about...

DSC01538.jpg

Somewhere in there The NQWWW FJ got some new meats as the Yokohamas that were on it were showing their age. With visions of the perfect tire in my mind I came back from the tire shop with the best buy instead. I was considering a set if DC FCIIs or Cooper St Maxxes but my tire guy Fran had a set of Cooper Discover AT3Ss in the stock 265/70/17s sitting in the shop at too good of a price to pass up. While not the most aggressive AT tire out there these are great tires for a dual purpose commute and adventure ride, And priced at $122 dollars apiece with a $70 rebate on a set of four they were just too good to pass up.

DSC01484.jpg

Those should do nicely whence the winter snows come calling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom