Oak Grove Campgrounds

Borrego60

Adventurist
Founding Member
Anna and I had a excellent time camping last weekend at the above campgrounds. We arrived at 8pm set up camp under a clear sky with almost a full moon. Weather was in the low 70's at night and a very slight breeze. Saturday morning after breakfast we set out towards the Navy's training center and headed up Palomar Divide Rd. Stay on the road about 1/3 of the way up there were signs of goverment property on either side. After about 45 min we came across an old brick style house which is falling apart, stopped there just to look around and glass the area. We set back out on the road and 30 seconds in we spotted a huge deer that was crossing the road, that was a nice suprise.

Our main goal was to locate the new metal fire tower which replaced the older tower I think destroyed in a fire a while ago. The new tower is to be the highest tower in Ca.at 150 ft. We did find the road to the tower and ended up talking to the 1 woman and 2 men manning the tower, the husband and wife team were in training for thier new duties as fire watches and were very nice. We spent about an hour there and hit the dirt again back down to hwy79 down the north west side of the mt. The road down was a lot longer then the road we came up. We came across alot of locked gates but the gates that were open did lead to the bottom and off the mt. By the time we hit 79 again we were at the intersection of 79 and 371 that leads to Anza. The road was in good shape and no major problems getting to where we wanted to go.

Back at camp for a late lunch and a little rain storm lasting about 20 min or so. The rain felt so good we just both sat out in it and finished lunch. Around 5:30 I took a nice shower using the Helton heat exchanger on the truck God that felt good. Anna headed to the bathroom and when she came back spotted a bobcat about 20 yards from her crossing the road at the campgrounds. From what I have been told by the camp host the bobcat is seen on a regular basis, it just stops and looks at you then goes on its way. After a nice dinner and a few Stellas we watched the sun go down and the night critters come out. We spotted bats,rabbits,stink bugs ect, even heard a few coyotes call for each other for about a half an hour in the field behind us. We hit the tent about 10pm and slept like a rock till about 0630. I got up made some eggs and brewed some fresh coffee. After breakfast we packed up the trailer policed the area and set out on the way home to Oceanside by 0930. Great trip just had to get away for a few days and recharge the batteries so to speak. Oak Grove is a small camp I would guess about 50 sites or so,$15.00 a night $5.00 for day use flush heads and clean pit heads as well. Bathrooms were spotless the host takes really good care of the place. Camp is located about 5 miles east of hwy 371 right across the street from a CDF fire station.

Thanks for sharing Richard. I've driven by there a hundred times and never stopped, I always wondered how it was.

It is a nice little camp site,some are open with no tree cover some have alot of shade. I have heard of talk about putting in showers.

Back
Top Bottom