Lower Coyote & Sheep Canyon Trip Report, Anza-Borrego: May 11th & 12th, 2013

BorregoWrangler

Adventurist
Founding Member
Lower Coyote & Sheep Canyon Trip Report, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
May 11th & 12th, 2013

One of my favorite areas to camp and explore in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is Sheep and Lower Coyote Canyons, located North West of the town of Borrego Springs, CA. Being somewhat secluded and accessible only with 4 wheel drive (besides foot or on horseback), its usually easy to escape the crowds here.

The original goal was to camp up in Sheep Canyon with my family, hike to some of the nearby streams and waterfalls, and generally just relax and soak in the beautiful desert landscape. Unfortunately my wife ended up having too much school work to finish up, so I ended up heading out alone on this trip. However, I was able to spend some time with my girls at Dos Picos Park in Ramona, CA before I headed out to brave the desert heat.

After a few hours we said our goodbyes and I headed off towards the desert. My tires eventually left the pavement behind where I found a spot to air down and get ready for the ride up through Lower Coyote Canyon.

Juan Buatista de Anza expedition plaque.

Checking out the second crossing of Coyote Creek. The exact location of the crossing can change from time to time with each passing storm.

The third crossing of Coyote Creek has been re-routed just upstream. You can see the large boulders blocking the old entrance to the left. There are people who would like to see this area closed to all motorized use. This may have been done to appease the "environmentalist".

The new third crossing.

Approaching "Boulder Alley" I shifted the 4WD into low range and worked my way up the rocks, being careful to avoid any contact with the undercarriage.

Once at the saddle, looking north into Collins Valley, the difficult part of the trail is over, although you do have to return the way you came. The trail reverts to a smooth, sandy surface as it descends into Collins Valley.

Lower Willows and Santa Catarina, named by Juan Bautista de Anza when his expedition camped here on March 14th, 1774.

Continuing on towards Sheep Canyon.

Arriving at the camping area I was surprised to see new signs. There are five improved sites with new fire rings and wooden picnic tables. Only $10.00 a night.

The next morning I was up early for a hike into Cougar Canyon.

I was hoping to avoid the head of the day and reach a few pools and waterfalls located deep within the canyon.

Here is the late Jerry Schad's description of this hike: "Anza-Borrego's Cougar Canyon is a place where new worlds open up at every turn. There are more gorgeous sights to see along a half-mile of this canyon than in a full day's hiking in most other parts of our local desert. Ahead (as far as your scrambling skills will carry you) you'll discover limpid pools, silvery waterfalls, feathery cascades of spray, a pocket palm grove, and on one rock a fading psychedelic "eye" -- circa 1970 rock art."

My goal was to reach a deep pool fed by a large waterfall at the 2300-feet elevation mark.

I came across a cave with what looked like a pictograph nearby.

If those markings are authentic, its really irresponsible that some would build a fire so close. Besides that, ground fires are not even allowed in the state park.

Returning to my Jeep at the trail head. I wasn't able to head as far into the canyon as I had hoped. Since it was getting hotter, the route getting more technical, and I was alone, I went as far as I felt comfortable. I'd rather have folks read this trip report than an article about a missing hiker!

Crossing Collins Valley along one of the two tracks.

Getting ready to descend the the rock gardens and leave Collins Valley behind.

Once off the trail I stopped to check out a few of the many metal sculptures around town, built by Ricardo A. Breceda.

This was Fray Pedro Font who served as chaplain and “cosmographer” on the the second famed trek of the Anza expedition.

All too soon it was time to make the trek back into civilization. I avoided the highways as much as I could and stuck to the back roads.

Often, there's not much point to these trips other than to unwind and escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Exploring interesting areas that have some history to them is also a great bonus. Maybe its more than that... Its food for my soul. Driving home I thought about my trip, the spectacular views and landscapes, and what I did to make myself slightly burnt, bug-bit, tired, and sore. It brought a smile to my face, and I was looking forward to seeing my beautiful wife and daughter at home.

More photos can be seen at the link in my signature below.

Great report John. Solo trips provide a chance for relaxation and reflection that feeds our desire for independence and reminds us of our need for companionship.

-Andy

Often, there's not much point to these trips other than to unwind and escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Exploring interesting areas that have some history to them is also a great bonus. Maybe its more than that... Its food for my soul. Driving home I thought about my trip, the spectacular views and landscapes, and what I did to make myself slightly burnt, bug-bit, tired, and sore. It brought a smile to my face, and I was looking forward to seeing my beautiful wife and daughter at home.

And THAT is what it is all about folks. This report has been cross posted on the AAV Facebook page due to it's awesomeness :cool:

Neat! I really want to visit Anza Borrego this fall when the weather cools off. Hopefully some locals can lead a weekend tour!

Back
Top Bottom