Living Overland's 2013 Adventures

flyfishexpert

Adventurist
Yellowstone in Winter
by Krista Johnston

Beau_Johnston-2529-3.jpg

Winter in Yellowstone is not for the faint of heart or for the coldblooded. We arrived at the North Entrance on a Friday in late February and were excited to spend a long weekend driving between Gardiner, MT and the Lamar Valley area to photograph wildlife. The North Entrance to the Park is the only one open to passenger vehicles during winter. The poor folks that live in Cooke City, MT, at the Northeast Entrance to Yellowstone, must travel through the Park in winter to leave town as the only other road leaving town, the Beartooth Highway, shuts down for winter weather until Memorial Day.

Beau_Johnston-2974.jpg

Beau_Johnston-2846.jpg

Once in the Park we saw the requisite elk, antelope, and bison just inside the entrance. For the most part, those people visiting the Park in the winter are frequent Yellowstone visitors in pursuit of lesser seen animals, so we were fortunate to have the park mostly to ourselves. It was quiet, sometimes you wouldn't see another vehicle for 15 or 20 minutes; that never happens any other time of year! Our first stop was where a few vehicles were congregated alongside the road at the “S-curve” just below the Blacktail cross-country skiing trail. Folks were out with their spotting scopes glassing for wolves that were about two or three miles away. The wolf watchers mentioned the pack of at least five had been closer to our location the previous day, but at two plus miles away the wolves, when visible, were just dots in the nice Bushnell binoculars I was using.

Beau_Johnston-2267.jpg

You can read about the rest of our winter adventure by visiting our webiste, www.LivingOverland.com, or clicking here.

Wyoming's Hole in the Wall

_BAJ3255.jpg

I love winter, but I must say this winter has been rough on us. We consider ourselves active and love being outside, but after moving to Wyoming we just haven't been ourselves. Moving away from our close friends has been hard, and trying to find new people during the middle of winter has been even harder. Thankfully April has arrived and the weather has been warming up, although as I write this Casper is buried under 12+ inches of snow. We had a severe case of 'Cabin Fever' and needed to get out, and we were not the only ones. We met up with a local couple, Tyler and Michelle, and our friend Teaaron drove down from Sheridan to meet up with us.

2013-04-06%252017.35.24.jpg

_BAJ3232.jpg

Tyler suggested we take the back way into Hole in the Wall, so we met up in Casper Saturday morning and headed west on Highway 20/26. We then took County Road (CR) 125 (which turns into CR 110), heading north to CR 105, and then followed CR 105 to the trail head. The drive out was great, with plenty of pronghorn to watch and great vistas to admire. The only snag we ran into was on CR 105 when we were about to cross the second gate. While the first gate, and the BLM website, said we would be crossing several gates on our way to the trail head, there was a large orange 'No Trespassing on Deeded Land' sign posted at the second gate. Fearing we had taken a wrong turn, we consulted the atlas and the map DeLorme Earthmate app on our phone. We determined we were in fact on the correct road and the sign was probably just asking people to not venture off of the road.

You can read about the rest of our trip to Hole in the Wall by visiting our blog, www.LivingOverland.com, or by clicking here.

Awesome pics. Just out of curiosity how far away are you from the Buffalo.

Thanks, I would say I was probably 30 yards from the bison. I took the photo while standing on my 4Runner, hand-holding a 400mm f/2.8 lens...

Ok wow that was pretty close; i was thinking like 200 meters. But with a lens like that you probably could have done it that far out.

Fantastic photos, Beau! By the way, I'm not sure if you remember me stopping by to visit you and your wife during OEX in May but I'd still like to catch-up and talk about some recipes, meal prep, etc to feature in the magazine once we launch. Let me know if you're game. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom