Help me get a code reader!

Andy

Adventurist
Founding Member
Here's my issue: My girlfriends Toyota Sienna is having issues related to a long slow hot drive back from Vegas. She paid $135 to get the DTC codes read today (against my advice) and they want to charge her $1500 bucks for a new wheel speed sensor (which she needs) and a new catalytic converter (which I don't believe she needs).

Solution: I want to get a code reader so I can clear the CEL and see if the problem was just due to traffic and high temps. And I want it to be usable in the future on my truck (2010 Tacoma). I need it this weekend when I will be at her place so I need something I can get at a shop in SoCal.

What should I stay away from?
What is a good piece of gear?

I would like a scan gauge. Can I sync it with 2 vehicles or when I plug it in does it lock and only respond to that VIN (heard some devices do this).

I use I-stuff so BT wireless readers connected to my phone are a no go.

Scanguage will work on more than one vehicle. I have successfully swapped one between two different GM vehicles.

I bought a code reader on amazon that plugs right into the OBD 2 port on the Tacoma, reads code and tells you in plain English what the code is. Clears CEL's too. Paid like $30 a couple months ago.

EDIT: Here it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I picked up a scan guage 2 at autozone today. $150 after tax and military discount. I will add comments after messing with it.

Thanks for the replies! I picked up a scan guage 2 at autozone today. $150 after tax and military discount. I will add comments after messing with it.

I've had my SG for many years and I find it indispensable not just for reading CEL codes, but for providing real numbers behind the silent idiot lights.

Back
Top Bottom