Going to 2023 Overland Expo West?

I'm not going this year, but I am excited to see AT's debut of their Aterra camper shell. That looks like a real game changer to me.

I will check that out. I am also looking forward to getting a close up look at the 2024 Tacomas on Friday.

That's going to be a great reveal for sure. So many questions remain about drivetrain, fuel tank size etc

Well…I had to cut my Expo short on Friday and just now getting free to following up on this so just some random thoughts and observations.

1. The 2024 Tacoma, I didn’t get to get inside of it for a fit test (they were displayed on a very muddying horse track), but my general impression is not too different visually from the previous gen. Also, I wouldn’t waste my money on the Trailhunter. That’s really just a package for someone who doesn’t want to build, not applicable to this group.

2. It was crowded, despite the thunderstorms, and the energy was better than last year.

3. Vans, Vans, Vans - honestly there was more booth/display space devoted to van-life than at a typical Adventure Van Expo. Have to admit, as I get older I see the appeal.

4. Got a chance to look at both the AT Overland Aterra Topper and the new Scout TukTut for midsized trucks. Both seem like great options. Still amazing that they got a Scout Camper down in weight to side into a Gladiator bed. It’s listed at 634 lbs, which would push the limits on GVWR, but basically equivalent to a kitted out Alucab Canopy Camper. The AT Aterra Topper seems like a great direction to go in if you have a full size truck and are planning some expedition grade travel but want to keep the build cost reasonable.

5. Outside of Toyota doing the reveal, the other automakers presence was muted. Would have loved to see some of the new stuff from Jeep or Ford.

That’s all I got.

Last edited:
Well…I had to cut my Expo short on Friday and just now getting free to following up on this so just some random thoughts and observations.

1. The 2024 Tacoma, I didn’t get to get inside of it for a fit test (they were displayed on a very muddying horse track), but my general impression is not too different visually from the previous gen. Also, I wouldn’t waste my money on the Trailhunter. That’s really just a package for someone who doesn’t want to build, not applicable to this group.

2. It was crowded, despite the thunderstorms, and the energy was better than last year.

3. Vans, Vans, Vans - honestly there was more booth/display space devoted to van-life than at a typical Adventure Van Expo. Have to admit, as I get older I see the appeal.

4. Got a chance to look at both the AT Overland Aterra Topper and the new Scout TukTut for midsized trucks. Both seem like great options. Still amazing that they got a Scout Camper down in weight to side into a Gladiator bed. It’s listed at 634 lbs, which would push the limits on GVWR, but basically equivalent to a kitted out Alucab Canopy Camper. The AT Aterra Topper seems like a great direction to go in if you have a full size truck and are planning some expedition grade travel but want to keep the build cost reasonable.

5. Outside of Toyota doing the reveal, the other automakers presence was muted. Would have loved to see some of the new stuff from Jeep or Ford.

That’s all I got.

Jimmy, that is good information on the Expo West, thanks for sharing. Steve and I are going to the Expo in the PNW (Kevin is also going for 1 day as well). I like this one as it is smaller (for now) still so much to see at these. Until later.....

Back
Top Bottom