Gear Review: Carhartt Tool Roll & Tool Pouches

I have not ever put a link on this forum back to my store.
I am in Australia writing, photographing and building content for a 4x4 magazine down here. It is work. I work for a living, it is just not a 9-5 be in one place kind of job. I choose to live on the road full time and barely scrape by right now.
I have never asked for donations or put a link to a donation page on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter. I believe that content online does have some value, and the third option on the contribute page on my website is to donate. Again, I have never linked to this page from anywhere, you would have to go searching for it on my website.
I'd love to review more American made products, and have reviewed a few already. I have also done a number of comparison reviews on the site with a variety of products. I have one of the most unbiased opinions on the internet, as I do not get any compensation, besides the actual product, from any of the companies that I write about. I only write reviews of products that I'd recommend. I have refused to review quite a few products that I've received for review consideration.

This is a tough crowd. I'm not sure that I want to promote events and contribute to this forum in any way if this is the way people are treated on here.

There is a link back to your store in the first line of your signature. There was a link to your store in the original posting for the Carhart tool roll but was deleted by the moderators, because you're not a forum sponsor. The donations request were on said Link. I'd love to know and learn more about your travels especially Australia! I'd even be more apt to support you and buy your offered goods if you would share more of your travel experiences with us!

Last edited:
"Perception is reality" Bryon. You do what you want; however, we'd value your contributions if they were more than a few sentences and a picture or two and a link to your blog.

But please don't threaten us with, "I'm not sure that I want to promote events and contribute to this forum in any way." That's an incredibly conceited ultimatum to declare and a poor business decision to proclaim on an open forum. Remember, we are your audience, customers, readers, fellow travellers, and consumers. As we are communicating now, we also communicate to vendors and sponsors. Threats can work both ways.

But that's not my intent to threaten you Bryon because I care about what you do and the potential influence you have on our community of interest. I'm certain you've got some legendary experiences to share but you haven't revealed them to us on this forum. Instead we get a teaser related to a product review and a web link - I have limited time already and this is one of the few forums I visit. Bloggers who reference their own site while shilling products is distracting... much like annoying pop-up ads.

Enthrall us with your trip to Australia (or wherever) but leave out the product reviews... tell us about you and your travels. Then throw a gear review in your post every once in awhile. You have to romance your audience a little bit before you get to home-plate. But that's going to require a little more effort on your part to put more content on-line - you have to determine how you want to engage with your readers. This way now is not so good...

I've learned more about what you do and how you do it in the last couple of posts you've made than I ever did in the previous 4 years that I've known about you and your travels. I actually found that more interesting than how to shower at a KOA.

Maybe we forum members are tough, but if you can make the effort, we can be your greatest supporters. You may travel alone on your ventures my friend, but overlanding is a team sport when you decide to make a living on the internet.

There is no threat implied. Honestly I have no issue with not sharing my opinions to an audience that doesn't want to hear it. If you aren't interested enough in what I put on here don't look at the post or continue on by clicking on the link. My experience with the American Adventurist community, that show up to the events, has been quite good. Fun interesting people, and people who seem to enjoy my content, opinion and travel lifestyle.

I do share travel stories on here, both those that I write on my website and in other media outlets. I have been gear review heavy on EE lately, mostly because I've been trying to pay my bills by writing the travel stories and selling my photos to other media outlets, which get first publishing rights. Not allowing me to post them on my site or on a public forum. I'm sorry that you find me referencing my site "distracting" and "annoying", but I assure you that I have not and will not be "shilling" any products on here. I do not sell the products that I review. You might not enjoy my product reviews, but I know from the feedback, and site stats, that many people follow me specifically for my reviews.

Zero hard feelings. You have your own opinions. Those opinions don't pay my bills or coincide with data about the content I create however, so I will take them as they are, your opinions.

There is a link back to your store in the first line of your signature. There was a link to your store in the original posting for the Carhart tool roll but was deleted by the moderators, because you're not a forum sponsor. The donations request were on said Link. I'd love to know and learn more about your travels especially Australia! I'd even be more apt to support you and buy your offered goods if you would share more of your travel experiences with us!

Not sure what you're really talking about at this point. There is a link to my website in my signature, not to the store. The content on my site is free, and currently ad free. There was no link to my store in the original post about the tool roll, there was a link in that review to buy the product on Amazon, which is an affiliate link from which I make a SMALL percentage of the sale. I am not a forum sponsor, both because I don't sell product on this forum and because I have no money to spend on being a sponsor. I support this community by trying to attend as many events as possible (on my own dime), promoting those events as well as possible (for free) and sharing my stories and gear opinions on this forum. The ONLY donations "request" anywhere is specifically on the CONTRIBUTE page on my website, a page that I have not linked from anywhere at any time. I appreciate your interest in my Australia adventures. I share live coverage of travels such as this through FB, Instagram and Twitter. Content I create from these adventures, both writings and photos, are what I sell to other media outlets to pay for these adventures. Because of this I am unable to post that content for free on a forum such as this. I will and do share as much of my travel experiences as possible on my website, which I share snippets and links to here, while still making sure my bills get paid through selling content to other media outlets.

"Perception is reality" Bryon. You do what you want; however, we'd value your contributions if they were more than a few sentences and a picture or two and a link to your blog.

But please don't threaten us with, "I'm not sure that I want to promote events and contribute to this forum in any way." That's an incredibly conceited ultimatum to declare and a poor business decision to proclaim on an open forum. Remember, we are your audience, customers, readers, fellow travellers, and consumers. As we are communicating now, we also communicate to vendors and sponsors. Threats can work both ways.

But that's not my intent to threaten you Bryon because I care about what you do and the potential influence you have on our community of interest. I'm certain you've got some legendary experiences to share but you haven't revealed them to us on this forum. Instead we get a teaser related to a product review and a web link - I have limited time already and this is one of the few forums I visit. Bloggers who reference their own site while shilling products is distracting... much like annoying pop-up ads.

Enthrall us with your trip to Australia (or wherever) but leave out the product reviews... tell us about you and your travels. Then throw a gear review in your post every once

Maybe we forum members are tough, but if you can make the effort, we can be your greatest supporters. You may travel alone on your ventures my friend, but overlanding is a team sport when you decide to make a living on the internet.

I'd like to highlight the last paragraph. Bryon, this crowd is tough. But it's an honest, good hearted kind of tough and we really are trying to make this community legitimate in every way.

I know that you mean well and as Tim said perception IS reality. I understand that your content is valuable - I get that. It's obvious that our members are curious about you and your travels because you are out there doing things some of us can only dream of. But not all of our members are up on social media like IG and FB.

Might I recommend that, in the interests of yourself and the group here, that you start a photo thread about your travels? You could use the same photos that you're already putting out there on Facebook and InstaGram so no loss of revenue generating content. This simple recipe would be an act of good faith and put to rest any concerns. It's a small gesture but I think that window into your world, shared here, would benefit all in the long run.

Whatever you decide, I appreciate your interactions on behalf of American Adventurist and look forward to your future success.

Appreciate the idea of a photo stream forum post about my adventures. That might happen at some point.

The honest truth is that I spend 30+hrs a week on a computer for Exploring Elements and 30+ hrs a week on a computer trying to pay my bills with other assignments. This does not include time to take photos, adventuring or planning for said adventures. I don't have time to repost the content that I also distribute across social media. It also provides me with no benefit; in terms of SEO, social influence, followers, etc... to go through the effort to post that stuff on here.

If you or your members enjoy my content I'd think you'd appreciate me letting you know that I've put interesting things up with a teaser here on the forum. If you were actually interested in the information presented in the teaser I'd think it wouldn't be too much to ask to click through to read more FREE content.

It has been said on here that I post too much about gear, which I have done a lot of lately (which gets good traffic and quality interaction from most), and not enough about my adventures. I'd like to point out that there have been 101 Adventure stories, 104 Gear stories and 24 Discovery stories (posts about current topics or things I find and want to share) on Exploring Elements since it started.

"Perception is reality." Very true statement. I'm honestly disappointed that with all I have done over the past few years to promote this community through writing, photography, social media and by attending most of the AA events that this is the reception I get on the forum. I have done ALL of those things for FREE, even though much of it costs me quite a bit of money and time.

I'm gonna highlight this point here....

Exploring Elements said:
I don't have time to repost the content that I also distribute across social media. It also provides me with no benefit; in terms of SEO, social influence, followers, etc... to go through the effort to post that stuff on here.

I'll have to disagree on this point. As someone who potentially could benefit from this site, I think you need to reconsider full postings here. I know you're busy, as are all of us with day jobs, but as someone who blogs and writes about their adventures, I would think it would benefit you to post on as many avenues as possible to get the word out about your site to as many people as possble, therefore driving traffic to your site, which in return would give you a better advertising potential with number of hits to your site. I for one and more apt to visit a site after reading a full review of a post on AAV, as opposed to reading a small blurb. When I see a small blurb about a product you reviewed, here on aav, I'm not apt to continue on to your site to read more. I tend to skip it over. Now, if there were a full product review, with a link to your site after the review of a single product, I for one would be more likely to click though to your site to see what else you are blogging about. I may be alone in this thought, but somehow, I doubt that. Just a thought from my end of things...

I'll have to disagree on this point. As someone who potentially could benefit from this site, I think you need to reconsider full postings here. I know you're busy, as are all of us with day jobs, but as someone who blogs and writes about their adventures, I would think it would benefit you to post on as many avenues as possible to get the word out about your site to as many people as possble, therefore driving traffic to your site, which in return would give you a better advertising potential with number of hits to your site. I for one and more apt to visit a site after reading a full review of a post on AAV, as opposed to reading a small blurb. When I see a small blurb about a product you reviewed, here on aav, I'm not apt to continue on to your site to read more. I tend to skip it over. Now, if there were a full product review, with a link to your site after the review of a single product, I for one would be more likely to click though to your site to see what else you are blogging about. I may be alone in this thought, but somehow, I doubt that. Just a thought from my end of things...

My thoughts too Scott, but as it has been explained to us, it's not about this community - there is no "benefit" in it. It's about the "clicks." Message received.

There's only so much you can accomplish in a day among competing demands, and those priorities will influence productivity and ultimately income. I wish Bryon success.

My thoughts too Scott, but as it has been explained to us, it's not about this community - there is no "benefit" in it. It's about the "clicks." Message received.

There's only so much you can accomplish in a day among competing demands, and those priorities will influence productivity and ultimately income. I wish Bryon success.
And that's sad, really. Its amazing that in this day and age, community and commeradrie mean nothing, and it's all about chasing the $$$. Sad state of affairs if you ask me... but no one asked me, so I'll stay here in my corner.

It also provides me with no benefit; in terms of SEO, social influence, followers, etc... to go through the effort to post that stuff on here. ---Exploring Elements

I find this comment obtuse to what we've been expressing to you. We aren't as important to you as your making money. I understand the need to make an income but, when your "gear review" posts far outweigh the adventuring ones as of recent, you may as well be Walmart whom I feel deserve the same attention as the Sierra Club calendars and the REI catalogues I use to start fires or use as toilet paper. If you feel we aren't worth your time, then I bid you good day sir. :deadhorse

I respect your opinion and see that it has merit. However, there are only so many hrs in the day. My view is that if you actually have any interest in the product or adventures that I share on the forum that you'll click through and check out the full story. Why must the entire story be posted here?

- - - Updated - - -

Clicks actually have VERY little value to me right now. If it wasn't about helping this community why then would I go out of my way to attend most of the community events and post my thoughts and experiences on here about topics relevant to this community? For that matter, why would I keep responding to these comments on this post?

Time is the most valuable commodity we all have. I try hard to spend my online time productively, allowing me more time for experiences and adventures. I appreciate the wish for success, and wish this community the most success possible.

It also provides me with no benefit; in terms of SEO, social influence, followers, etc... to go through the effort to post that stuff on here. ---Exploring Elements

I find this comment obtuse to what we've been expressing to you. We aren't as important to you as your making money. I understand the need to make an income but, when your "gear review" posts far outweigh the adventuring ones as of recent, you may as well be Walmart whom I feel deserve the same attention as the Sierra Club calendars and the REI catalogues I use to start fires or use as toilet paper. If you feel we aren't worth your time, then I bid you good day sir. :deadhorse

I totally agree that lots of dead horses are being beaten here. This community is for sure not as important to me as continuing to live a life of adventure is to me. In order to do that my time and expertise must have some value that is monetized and allows me to pay my bills and continue to fund new adventures, including attending AA community events. I have not asked for or solicited purchases/money from anyone on this forum or at any AA live event, short of having Amazon Affiliate links in gear reviews of stuff that I think is worth buying and would pertain to this community.

If you don't want to read my stuff, aren't interested in gear reviews, etc... then don't read my stuff, here on the forum or on my website. You must choose to click on both if you are interested. You have obviously done both in the past, showing me interest in what I'm writing. MANY other people from many communities seem to very much appreciate my gear reviews and value that part of my website. I have a background in product development, product testing, manufacturing, distribution and sales, so I've seen all sides of the coin. People seem to enjoy the mostly unbiased "expert" opinion that I provide on most of the products that I review.

Back
Top Bottom