Ford wants to sell you a van: The Ford Transit Trail

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
For folks that don't want to think about suspension, inverters or tires and just get right to installing shiplap on the inside:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41837184/2023-ford-transit-trail-van-revealed/

1667513375556.png

Seriously considering this platform for my next build.

If Ford wants to sell me a van, they'll have to build it first.

Before we pulled the trigger on our truck/camper combo, I went DEEEEP into trying to source a van and a spot at a conversion shop (since I didn't have the time to do my own in 2021/2022.)

Most converters I talked to said: "Call us when you have the van in-hand - our booking sheets are all messed up because nobody can get vans." Some shops even said they'd move anybody in-actual-possession of a van to the front of their waitlists, things were so messed up.

Last edited:
The thing that worries me about Ford right now (includes the vans, Bronco, Ranger, etc) is the only options they have for power plants are turbo'd. Given the sketchy gas I've gotten in places like Maine, Utah, West Virginia, etc I'd feel a lot better about something less fickle than a hyper sensitive and overly tuned computer controlled turbo motor. Other than that I like the idea. Just not sure I like being limited on engine options.

The thing that worries me about Ford right now (includes the vans, Bronco, Ranger, etc) is the only options they have for power plants are turbo'd. Given the sketchy gas I've gotten in places like Maine, Utah, West Virginia, etc I'd feel a lot better about something less fickle than a hyper sensitive and overly tuned computer controlled turbo motor. Other than that I like the idea. Just not sure I like being limited on engine options.

I can't speak to the Ford ECUs, but generally, things HAVE gotten a lot better since the early days of turbo engine management. Having gone through three generations of Subaru WRXs and a couple of BMWs, I can say that the newest turbo ECUs are much more tolerant of bad gas than in the old days. In the really old days, a knock sensor and ignition timing were the only tools they had to deal with bad gas. These days, the post-cat O2 sensors are more sensitive, wastegates are in the loop, and the fuel mapping is also more agile, so bad gas will definitely cut down your boost and power, but durability is maintained.

I can't speak to the Ford ECUs, but generally, things HAVE gotten a lot better since the early days of turbo engine management. Having gone through three generations of Subaru WRXs and a couple of BMWs, I can say that the newest turbo ECUs are much more tolerant of bad gas than in the old days. In the really old days, a knock sensor and ignition timing were the only tools they had to deal with bad gas. These days, the post-cat O2 sensors are more sensitive, wastegates are in the loop, and the fuel mapping is also more agile, so bad gas will definitely cut down your boost and power, but durability is maintained.

Good to know.

I am new to this. I tried to order a transit trail from my ford dealer this week. They had No clue what i was talking about. Anyone successful?

I am new to this. I tried to order a transit trail from my ford dealer this week. They had No clue what i was talking about. Anyone successful?

As far as I know, the "books are closed" on 2023 Transit orders already, so they may not know anything about the new packages until the 2024 order books open. THIS is why my first comment upthread was "If they want to sell me a van, they'd have to BUILD it first" - their production capacity is lagging far behind demand.

Back
Top Bottom