Fire Starter

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
There’s a million ways to start your campfire. Some of them are fancy, some are simple and cheap.

Here’s probably the cheapest home made fire starter you can make. Only 3 things needed:

1. Empty toilet paper roll
2. Dryer lint
3. Wax paper

Weighs next to nothing, and the wax paper helps keep it dry. This is a good use of some things on the home front that you likely just throw away, and it’s easy to make and store a bunch of them for camping. Another benefit is that these fire starter rolls have no expiration date.

Burns like nobody’s business and combined with some good kindling or fat wood, it will get your fire going for almost free!

IMG_7013.jpeg

IMG_7014.jpeg

IMG_7015.jpeg

"Snot Balls" - aka cotton balls thoroughly impregnated with Vaseline, are my favorite go-to for an emergency kit. I like that they pack small (film canister, pill bottle, etc.) and light easily once "fluffed", but the wick effect gives them a decent burn time to help when you're struggling with sub-optimal kindling.

As with any such methods, everyone should practice using whatever you're going to carry. Every casual campfire is an opportunity to test a new thing or hone one's skills when the stakes are low. Alternatively, get you a kid, and make them practice. It's been a little while since I built a fire on my own because now my daughter does it. :D

A long time ago, I learned make them similar to but different than several of the above mentioned ideas.

Cardboard egg container, fill each cup with dryer lint, then pour melted wax (canning or Gulf wax) over them. Once the wax cools, cut up the egg container into individual "eggs".

Easy to light, and burn for a surprising long time.

A long time ago, I learned make them similar to but different than several of the above mentioned ideas.

Cardboard egg container, fill each cup with dryer lint, then pour melted wax (canning or Gulf wax) over them. Once the wax cools, cut up the egg container into individual "eggs".

Easy to light, and burn for a surprising long time.
Essentially what I just with sawdust.

Back
Top Bottom