It's ok I have a TS/SCI you can just whisper it in my ear....

Oh, is that how that works?

The Russians have a word for what I’d tell you, I believe they call it dyzinformatsia Comrade.

;)

I heard he bought @woodienut first rig...

1929-Ford-Model-640x480.jpg

Dave’s retiring and gonna be spending all his money on surfboards. That or college tuition.

So his next choice will be limited... Early 80’s Toyota, with an ARB fridge of course.

(And no I won’t trade you my surfboards for your Dodge)

I believe the man himself said in another thread on here, " I was impressed. Impressed to the point that it may be my next vehicle build." Regarding the new Jeep JL.... hmmmm....

Actually, I am thinking @Dave needs to wait for the 2019 JT... the jeep pick up... and work with your friends at FWC to build a matching camper for it... That would have my attention... and maybe my $.

I hate to say it but @Dave, the King of Shipfitters is giving up vehicular modification and travel. Word has it he's going to fill up an old rucksack with organically processed hemp clothing, vegan victuals and a set of Pan pipes and embrace the bare foot bohemian Spirit Hiker Movement. You'll see his unkept, hemp draped frame covered in dust, mud and dung coated dreadlocks out on some hiking trail or his selfie laced new Instagram account #Hikinggurudave. Out in Nature's bounty and surrounded by millennial hipster thru hikers Dave will preach his new gospel of anti-vehicular modification and "dirt bag" spiritual self awareness. Soon the new forum @HipsterVeganAdventurist will be up and running. Look out for an onslaught of couch surfing requests from this new Dave, but I would advise throwing a plastic sheet on that couch first.

Dave, I read your thread looking for feedback on a specific topic, but I couldn't find it. So forgive me if this question has already been asked:

What was the final gear ratio you settled with for dealing with your 37" tires? How did the re-gear affect driving characteristics and fuel efficiency?

I've heard that re-gearing, if done correctly, can actually help offset some of the mpg losses normally associated with bigger tires.

Good luck with your sale too. It's an awesome truck!

Dave, I read your thread looking for feedback on a specific topic, but I couldn't find it. So forgive me if this question has already been asked:

What was the final gear ratio you settled with for dealing with your 37" tires? How did the re-gear affect driving characteristics and fuel efficiency?

I've heard that re-gearing, if done correctly, can actually help offset some of the mpg losses normally associated with bigger tires.

Good luck with your sale too. It's an awesome truck!

It's been re-geared to 4.30 gears which puts the tires/trans/engine back into the factory runout as designed. This helped with RPM's at speed as well as fuel efficiency. Very happy with the re-gear.

The truck sold awhile back, but the new owner and I exchange emails occasionally. Here's the latest:

"Hey Dave - hope things are going well for you in FL. Just wanted to write you a brief note to relate I am very appreciative of the time, thought, effort, and money you spent on your former Ram 2500 and camper. I recently had a trip that drove home how important the suspension modifications you made are for the ride quality, safety and comfort. As you said long ago in your forum,"Someone was going to get one very dialed in truck." I remain thrilled that I am that person.

So a little background - My wife and I just got back from a three day trip up in Modoc NF in far NE California. Nothing real ambitious or requiring 4WD - just several lightly used Forest Service dirt roads with some volcanic rock. The trip was mainly to get out dogs and wives together and help a friend get used to his purchase of a new used camper and GMC Sierra. His rig was a Palomino Back Pack pop up and stock Sierra 1500. I encouraged him to get some add a leaf or sumo helper springs but he decided his camper was light enough to not require. So right off the bat he was sagging a couple of inches and bouncing a bit more than ideal as the springs were pretty compressed. I previously talked him into and installed for him some beefy tie down anchor points , at least for the front, but he just went to the local hardware store to get some chain, s hooks, and turnbuckles. Once on the rougher roads I let him take the lead and watched his rig bounce around on some quite minor bumps and rocks, making our trip very, very slow. Things got a little more interesting as my wife and I observed his camper catching 1-1.5 inches of air on some of the bigger bumps, rising above his truck bed and in the process shearing ostraightening a couple of the cheap and undersized S hooks used in his tie downs.

We used some carabiners and shackles I brought on the trip to McGiver a solution that lasted the rest of the trip for my buddy and his rig, but it just reinforced how strong, well-conceived and well-executed your build was in comparison.

Just wanted to say "thanks" once again, Master Chief. I hope you and your family are enjoying your final Navy assignment and getting out into the wilds we all love."

Back
Top Bottom