Before You Go: The Vehicle 360

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
4WD trips are inherently dangerous.

Before you leave home and head out on any trip, you should complete a vehicle 360. Because Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Look at everything from every angle. Look at your wiring. Look at your suspension, drivelines, and steering components.

Take note of any peculiar smells as well - your nose can give early warning for issues with brakes, clutches and even electrical.

Do your control arms and CV axles feel sloppy when you grab them?

Brake lines. Look at them from one end to the other, and check hose connections Any leakage from calipers or lines?

Power steering pump making noise? Time to check fluids or consider replacing it.

Tie rods or drag links loose? Don’t take any chances here.

Do you see bare, cracked, broken or oil stained metal? It should look weathered like everything else under there. If it looks different, ask yourself why.

Do you have a full size spare tire? Is it serviceable?

Do you have a the means to change a flat tire? HiLift? Bottle jack? Tire iron? Spare lug nuts? Do you carry a torque wrench?

Do you have the means to repair a flat tire? Tire repair kit. Tire plugs. Patches. Spare valve stems (Colby valve!).

Is your winch working? Clutch lever operating smoothly? Is the wiring intact and ready to go? How is your winch line? Got recovery gear and winch controller?

Check everything from windshield wipers and seat belts and light bulbs all the way down to tire pressure and lug nuts. And everything else.

Do you have tools? Jumper cables? A way to reinflate tires?

Did you take care of yourself? Are you well rested and ready to drive off-road?

Do you have water, provisions and personal survival gear on board in case you get stranded?

Did you tell someone where you are going?

Frequent vehicle 360's are a great way to increase safety and avoid failures in the field.

Take the time to do them daily, and never assume that everything is in order, even on a new vehicle. Complacency kills.

Pro Tip: The last thing you worked on is the first thing to check when something seems wrong. Did you torque things to spec with a torque wrench, or not? Maybe consider deferment of last minute modifactions or installs for when you have more time, and can re-check and verify operation when you're not hundreds of miles from home.

All good points Dave, but ALSO doing a 360 walk around anytime before you get into your vehicle can be valuable for other reasons.

Did you put that coffee cup back in the truck that you set on your bumper while talking story with your trailmates?

Are all of the pieces of your recovery gear properly cleaned up and packed?

Did you close that back hatch, and latch your swingout?

Did you remember to repack that bag you pulled out to get another layer of clothes?

Do you remember that ditch or rock that is in front of your front wheels?

Do you remember where that tree behind you was before you back up?

Do you have any punctured tires? Slow leaks?

Did your buddies put any rude drawings in the dust on the back of your rig?

Well, I wasn’t done as I got interrupted and had to save my work, but thanks for finishing my thoughts on the subject!

I have "heard" of people spray painting the covers of the third member all manner of ghetto bling colors anonymously during the night. I fully agree in these checks.

I have "heard" of people spray painting the covers of the third member all manner of ghetto bling colors anonymously during the night. I fully agree in these checks.

Rules for life. Don’t mess with a man’s lunch, gun, vehicle or wife or you might get an ass kicking. And deservedly so.

Rules for life. Don’t mess with a man’s lunch, gun, vehicle or wife or you might get an ass kicking. And deservedly so.

This.

Story from on one event put on by a off-road club before I joined. I eventually became an officer of the club so I got a heads-up. Two people thought it would be really funny taking off all the snorkel air rams and hiding them while everyone was away at the BBQ / raffle.

Long story short. Police were almost involved.

Yeah, I suppose that might have gone over similar to pungent flatulence in a crowded Church on a hot summer day.

Yeah, I suppose that might have gone over similar to pungent flatulence in a crowded Church on a hot summer day.

Yeah. That's a completely different scenario than one-upmanship pranking which I think you were referring to. The person getting pranked has to know who's responsible as soon as they see it. Like a group helping rebuild someone's engine for a classic LR Defender. And painting the block hot-pink.

This is a great thread. I started doing the "walk-around" vehicle checks when I was a shuttle-bus driver in college. Part of getting my CDL was learning not only the process, but saying it out-loud so the tester understood what I was looking at, and it was standard procedure at the start of every 3-hour shift. It was a habit I have never lost, and it has saved my arse a number of times.

Things I've found during a walkaround:
  • 1/2" x 5" bolt buried to the head into the treads of a tire, visually, during morning walk-around just before the long-leg of a desert crossing somewhere in Nevada
  • Sheared rear shock shaft, visually, during the air-up walk-around at the end of a short trail run
  • Impending failure of idler arm, visually then manually, during pre-trip walk around prior to a 10-day trip
  • Wet CV boot, visually, during a fuel stop
  • Seized rear brake caliper, by nose, during the post-service walkaround, 1 day prior to Rendezvous!

Things I've found during a walkaround:
  • 1/2" x 5" bolt buried to the head into the treads of a tire, visually, during morning walk-around just before the long-leg of a desert crossing somewhere in Nevada
  • Sheared rear shock shaft, visually, during the air-up walk-around at the end of a short trail run
  • Impending failure of idler arm, visually then manually, during pre-trip walk around prior to a 10-day trip
  • Wet CV boot, visually, during a fuel stop
  • Seized rear brake caliper, by nose, during the post-service walkaround, 1 day prior to Rendezvous!

:wow

All very good points, Are you mentally ready and prepared? Check yourself too, Good frame of mind, not to excited to overlook something. Runs a few what If's and see how you might handle them.

Back
Top Bottom