2024 Toyota Land Cruiser for the US

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
land cruiser return.png

Hoping to get some insight on all things Toyota/Lexus next weekend.

I'll look forward to your report. I'm sick and tired of all the boomer Land Cruiser owner group types. Blah, blah, Prado... Blah, blah, no V8... Blah, blah, my 80 series. Lace up those New Balance's and join your Corvette owner brethren, you fossils. You can bet that Toyota is gonna build it solid and capable, whether the styling and drivetrain meet their idea of Land Cruiser or not. If Toyota puts a Land Cruiser badge on it... it is a Land Cruiser.

The best overlanding vehicles I’ve ever driven have all been 70 Series. I really wished we could get them here…

I doubt I would be in the market anyway, but I’m hoping they don’t just offer it with every option standard and for an unobtainable price.

Rumors have it that it will be the Prado. I hope it isn't because that would just be a repeat for failure of the Land Cruiser / Lexus LX competing against one another. Except the US Prado Land Cruiser would be competing against the Lexus GX and the 4Runner.

Though I now wonder if the upcoming 4Runner will be a rebranded Lexus GX / Prado as Toyota / Lexus continues to reduce and merge vehicle production lines.

If this is a 2024 US Land Cruiser chassis. Using this to compare the proportions of the wheelbase and given the FJ40's 90" wheelbase. The US Land Cruiser's wheelbase comes in @ about 112" The Lexus's LX's is 112.2". It won't be a Prado chassis.

112 wheelbase.png

It won't be a Prado chassis.

View attachment 62206

Greg, I thought I made my point about the "Prado" already. All of these vehicles are being built on the TNGA-F Chassis. If it gets a Land Cruiser badge, it's a Land Cruiser. Like it or not, every Toyota built on this chassis will share the same DNA.

Greg, I thought I made my point about the "Prado" already. All of these vehicles are being built on the TNGA-F Chassis. If it gets a Land Cruiser badge, it's a Land Cruiser. Like it or not, every Toyota built on this chassis will share the same DNA.

It's not really a debate that we'll get a "real" Land Cruiser but which one.

The picture has both the US Land Cruiser at the FJ40 at the same distance from the photographer sharing near the same center lines. There's enough information there to do a fairly accurate pixel to inches conversion and there's enough resolution where the margin of error is small enough to determine between the LX/LC and the GX/Prado chassis.

Last edited:
https://pressroom.lexus.com/sophisticated-utility-vehicle-all-new-2024-lexus-gx-redefines-suv/

"Standard Full-Time 4WD ... limited-slip center differential with locking feature. Overtrail grades add an electronic locking rear differential. "

"Multi-Terrain Select (MTS), Crawl Control, Downhill Assist Control (DAC), and 3D Multi-Terrain Monitor systems are standard on GX Overtrail grades for optimal traction on the trails, along with an Electronic-Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (E-KDSS) for improved wheel articulation."

Screen-Shot-2023-06-08-at-4.26.19-PM-1024x580.png

If the production of the GX550 produces the same ratio of change between the LX570 and LX600 then the curb weight of the GX550.

My guess will be around 4,700 lbs and have a GVWR of around 6,450 lbs. Cargo capacity will be around 1,750 lbs. an additional 280 lbs. over the GX460.

Last edited:
Forgot that the GX550 is larger than the 460. Nearly the same size as the LX600. Nearly the same size engine. 3.4L vs a 3.5L

My 2nd guess. 5,220 lbs curb weight. GVWR of around 7,030 lbs.

Sources at the Expo PNW have the new Land Cruiser using the turbo 4 and the 8 speed, same as the Taco. Of course this is not official.

With that being stated the GX 550 Overtrail will be the model folks will want. I will share photos here later.

Back
Top Bottom