2023 Crosstrek Sport (Turkey Slayer)

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Should be arriving beginning of October. Cool gray khaki. The 4Runner is getting traded in. The primary reason is gas milage. The second is that signs point to the 4Runner becoming a money pit. i.e. grimy oil film starting just under the valve cover.

PRE_PAF_360e_024.png

I think you’ll like it.

We are on our second Crosstrek as Michelle’s daily driver. The first was ‘19 with the 2.0 engine.
889B9C14-B0E6-4BC2-B32B-4121B0AA6513.jpeg

F40DA44F-B78C-41FA-ADB9-D179CF85CDD6.jpeg

But it got wiped out by a deer. It’s replacement was a 2021 Sport with the 2.5 liter motor. That 30 extra horsepower and extra torque makes a huge difference. While not anywhere close to being a speedster, the 2.0 motor in the older car was a bit of a boat anchor. Funny thing is, the bigger motor gets the same gas mileage as the 2.0. Michelle’s gets around 30 mpg back and forth to work, and we normally get around 33 on road trips down the interstate.

F9B879E8-D9D2-479E-A5E8-3DCCE3FC7B16.jpeg

76BB7759-E42E-4195-AA89-B668FBD7DE88.jpeg

I normally am not much for cars that aren’t 60 years old but I really like these Crosstreks. They have been capable winter runners and forest road runabouts. We often take the Trek on hiking trip days or kayak floats and it hauls everything just fine. Hell, we have kept that Maggiolina RTT just to use on a the Crosstrek one of these days.

They’re just good little rigs.

I took a dive into the Subaru forums when I started looking. People said the 2.0 was okay except in 2 conditions. Driving at high altitudes and on interstates.

Purdy!

There are many days when I still miss my Bugeye WRX - I swapped in Forester suspension parts for a mild lift, slightly taller tires, and an aluminum skidplate. I even sewed up a curtain kit and could sleep in the rear. That wagon got me to a LOT of fun places. I really hate that Subaru couldn't manage to put a turbo motor into the Crosstrek.

wrx_softroader.JPG

Purdy!

There are many days when I still miss my Bugeye WRX - I swapped in Forester suspension parts for a mild lift, slightly taller tires, and an aluminum skidplate. I even sewed up a curtain kit and could sleep in the rear. That wagon got me to a LOT of fun places. I really hate that Subaru couldn't manage to put a turbo motor into the Crosstrek.

View attachment 61069

They did put a 2.5L in the sport (what I got) and limited version so it's a little less anemic. Gains roughly 30hp & ft-lb over the 2.0. Still no way near the WRX. They did have one in the showroom but I kept to the plan with the primary purpose of a commuter.

It was a very shiny sapphire blue though.

Went out to Green Ridge to talk to the Ranger. It's been a while. 3 years in fact. I toured the park to see how things have changed. Some of the washed out roads have been regraded and, of course, I took pics.

My impressions so far.

It's got enough power so I don't feel like I'm a threat to other drivers if I get out of the left lane. Enough acceleration to get out from behind somebody who is a threat to other drivers. 45mph? On an interstate with a speed limit of 70mph? Really????

First vehicle with engine auto stop/start. I found it a little rough on the restart at first but it's smoothing out as the engine gets some miles on it. I don't know if this is standard on other vehicles with auto stop/start. The driver can control the auto stop/start feature by how much brake pressure is applied. With a slight lift of the brake peddle you can start the engine before the light turns green. Likewise a slow stop at a light with mild brake pressure will keep the engine running. If it looks like you'll be there for a while you can choose to turn off the engine with heavy pressure on the brake peddle.

PXL_20221010_152205412.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

PXL_20221010_152924704_2.jpg

PXL_20221010_152638951_2_sm.jpg

There’s a button, middle one above your left knee low on the dash that disables the start/stop function though you have to press it every time you restart the car. And I do.

As of now it doesn't annoy me that much but this statement comes with the disclaimer that my driving has been mostly highway.

Looks like there are a few commercial products that "automatically" disable the auto start/stop instead of you having to push the button. In researching some Ford products in the past the same result could be obtained by swapping a wire at the start/stop toggle switch and putting a resistor inline. Wonder if that's all this product is, just in a nice neat package.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/...2eoYG-i4jCmYpBPltdqysKMC0DCcr820aAn-2EALw_wcB

Looks like there are a few commercial products that "automatically" disable the auto start/stop instead of you having to push the button. In researching some Ford products in the past the same result could be obtained by swapping a wire at the start/stop toggle switch and putting a resistor inline. Wonder if that's all this product is, just in a nice neat package.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/...2eoYG-i4jCmYpBPltdqysKMC0DCcr820aAn-2EALw_wcB

This maintains the driver's selection at shutdown during the restart. On get's restored to on. Off gets restored to off. That's nice.

Bookmarked. Thanks!

Kamikaze turkey hit the front. No visible damage but I might get something for some radiator protection. Nothing like the hidden winch mount I have on the Tacoma. Just something.

Back
Top Bottom