2015 Toyota Land Cruiser J70

bruinlad

Adventurist
Toyota decided to reissue the classic cruiser for a year. Unfortunately, it is only intended for the Japanese market :confused:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/toyota-revive-land-cruiser-70-assembly-japan
http://inventorspot.com/articles/toyota-revive-classic-workhorse-j70-land-cruiser-for-one-year-on
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140825_662665.html

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about this more and more since our Jeep crapped out on us en route to Overland Expo EAST. At <$35k USD, I'd most definitely go for this if it were here stateside.

I drive an 80, but if we would ever be lucky enough to have a bare bones, brand new 70 series imported to the US, I'd be on it in a heartbeat, It would easily last me the rest of my expedition days. As it is, my 80 (LX450) has just over 224k miles on it and still runs like a swiss watch, I'm told it should last another 100k miles before needing a new motor.. BTW,, I tried the Jeep thing for 20 years, I got it....

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking about this more and more since our Jeep crapped out on us en route to Overland Expo EAST. At <$35k USD, I'd most definitely go for this if it were here stateside.
wow,,, what jeep did you have? I talk to a lot of overlanders that are very unhappy with their JKUs

Attachments

• IMG_0017_3.JPG
    IMG_0017_3.JPG
    932.3 KB · Views: 97
I drooled over the two Expedition 7 Team Landcruiser Prado's (I think) they purchased in New Zealand and got an exemption to bring over here for outfitting, etc. They had them at Moab a few years ago prior to their 7 continent expedition. :truck:stars:clap Sweet diesel turbos.

Problem we have here in the states is that for $50K (cost of those Prado's) the market is almost to the luxury level that Yota has taken the Landcruiser (at $70K plus). The American marketing machine doesn't want a bare bones utility truck for $50K and that's why we don't see these beauties here in the states. It's a niche market that we reside in and it's just not worth the effort for Yota to 'americanize and DOT approve' them here. Look what's happened to the FJ Cruiser as an example. They brought them over in 2004 and gone as of 2015 model year. Semi-utilitarian 4x4 at $30-40K and it's already history.

Just to bring it full circle. . . . . Toyota continues to make the 76. The special edition was simply a badge and an option package. It costs less than a Jeep JK Sahara and much less than a Rubicon. I work with a guy who has the special edition. It's just extra chrome, fake wood in the dash, a badge, and navigation.

I live in Dubai and drive a 2015 Landcruiser 76 Wagon. Mine is a base model with a gas engine (same 4.0 as the taco). It cost less than a base model 2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Sport. Diesels (1HZ) are about the same price, but are not popular here because gas is cheap and the gas motor does much better in the dunes.

But don't lose heart America! The FJ62 is the virtually the same height, width, length, wheelbase, payload, and configuration as a 2015 GRJ76 . And both have a 4.0 liter fuel injected six cylinder gas motor. The only things you get with in my 2015 GRJ76 that you don't in a 1989 FJ62 are a full floating rear axle (no increase in payload), coil springs in the front (meh), a 5-speed (H55 swap!), and a USB port (I think the radios are interchangeable). Most of which are pretty easy to add to a to the FJ62 with Toyota parts. I wouldn't be surprised if the seats and carpets were interchangeable.

I'll be moving back to the US next year, and I'm already shopping for a clean 62. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Last edited:
But don't lose heart America! The FJ62 is the virtually the same height, width, length, wheelbase, payload, and configuration as a 2015 GRJ76 . And both have a 4.0 liter fuel injected six cylinder gas motor. The only things you get with in my 2015 GRJ76 that you don't in a 1989 FJ62 are a full floating rear axle (no increase in payload), coil springs in the front (meh), a 5-speed (H55 swap!), and a USB port (I think the radios are interchangeable). Most of which are pretty easy to add to a to the FJ62 with Toyota parts. I wouldn't be surprised if the seats and carpets were interchangeable.

I'll be moving back to the US next year, and I'm already shopping for a clean 62. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Not all of us are willing to settle. ;)

Back
Top Bottom