2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI Adventures

Garrett

Adventurist
Here we go again. New rig, new thread. Let's see what happens when I drive something like this...

2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI
Full size SUV, three row seating, Frankie the Adventure Dog approved
4Matic
Diesel

Baja
IMG_2724.JPG

More to come...

At least the fix didn't look too difficult. Is the air bag the shock and the spring?

Yes, it's both. The process was straightforward, but one bolt required a pipe on a wrench (ghetto breaker bar). Took a couple hours up front and about 30 minutes for the rear bag.
I'm pleased because all the hardware on this truck is big. 21mm and 24mm bolts.

Two bags failed, or they come in sets? I'm guessing 21/24 are the socket sizes? Either way, that is good sized hardware.

...and it's for sale. This truck has turned out to be a piece of dog poo. I hate it now. One problem after another.
It won't be for sale to any forum members and it'll be posted honestly to Craigslist. Needs a transmission, transfer case, and little things here and there. I swear, every week something new breaks. :mad:

You have had it too long anyways. Any idea what you will be looking for in a replacement

Yup. A nice commuter car (I drive 100+ miles a day) and an older Jeep XJ, YJ wrangler w Tractor Supply cargo trailer, Ford Bronco, 90s Chevy suburban, or other fuel inefficient vehicle as a camping truck that'll be bought cash.
I'm honestly disappointed that this Mercedes is a lemon. It's a very nice truck if it didn't have so many issues.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that Garrett. It seemed like you and Kylynne really enjoyed that car.

Sorry Garrett I wanted to warn you "old German stuff is expensive to fix",but I didn't so I can't even say "I told you so"! :mike

Listen to your uncle Bob, find an old jeep, you might want to start looking in his back yard? There's tons of them out there, they're easy to work on, parts are available and reasonably priced. Most Jeep guys change parts just 'cause the new parts are cool.

That should get the party started! :jump:

Garrett, try taking the car to Car Max, don't tell them a damn thing, see what they will give you for it.

I know you've had a Grand Cherokee in the past, I'd lean that direction. The biggest reason is Baja travel. You can get the V-8 in the Grand. The 4.0L in an XJ is passing by appointment only.

We did love the car. The repairs total up to 75% of the value of the car. A dealer will be the best bet because once they fix that stuff, they can still make money on the resale. I can't.

I'm leaning towards a Prius or other garbage for a commuter/everyday car. The campingmobile will probably be a WJ like I had with a little lift. I did like that V8 and it towed well.

Back
Top Bottom