2014 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be heading up from<br />
corona area Friday morning also if anyone wants to caravan. <br />
<br />
<br />
I'll be heading out from Norco Friday morning as well. I'm definitely not going to be breaking any speed records heading up the mountain though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

this is john from corona. new to this gathering type adventure. i plan on leaving corona on friday morning. pulling 12yr daughter out of school.

I have seen a few trails that I want to check out off 2n49 and one on the south side of the 38 just before that one.

So I'm planning something for the DO competition/potluck, which means my afternoon has limits, but I was wondering if anyone was planning on leading a newbie-friendly Mountain-Bike ride in the morning?

I've never been a serious biker, and haven't done any real mountain biking in DECADES, but I'm feeling the itch to spend money on such things. I think the best way to either cure that ill or make it worse would be to take my ancient Specialized mtb-half-converted-commuter bike out for a morning and see if I'd better stick to hiking, or what!

So I'm planning something for the DO competition/potluck, which means my afternoon has limits, but I was wondering if anyone was planning on leading a newbie-friendly Mountain-Bike ride in the morning?

I've never been a serious biker, and haven't done any real mountain biking in DECADES, but I'm feeling the itch to spend money on such things. I think the best way to either cure that ill or make it worse would be to take my ancient Specialized mtb-half-converted-commuter bike out for a morning and see if I'd better stick to hiking, or what!

You could always rent a pretty much brand new bike from any of the bike shops in town.. That might now be too good for you wallet though.
If you do end up renting, make sure you bring pedals or arrange to borrow some.

You could always rent a pretty much brand new bike from any of the bike shops in town.. That might now be too good for you wallet though.
If you do end up renting, make sure you bring pedals or arrange to borrow some.

That's not a bad idea, I'll think of that as step 2 before I plunk down money on a new(er) bike. First, I think I just need to get back out on my current bike (~10 y.o. hardtail EDIT: 14 year old!) and see if it tickles my fancy the way I'm hoping. My current level of conditioning is the best it's been in a long while, but I'm curious if I'm in the right kind of shape to actually enjoy a morning on the bike for something other than commuting or hauling the kiddo in a trailer around Miramar lake...

Last edited:
I was thinking about bringing my bike as well, not really up to leading a ride, but up for tagging along.
Have a ~1983 vintage Specialized Stump Jumper. The first real production mountain bike.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This just in: AllPro Offroad will be in attendance along with Sean's sweet Tacoma

allpro.jpg

FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT

This just in...

I spoke with the Ranger today, full fire restrictions are in effect per USFS through at least October. How does that affect MRV? See below:

1. No Campfires. Campfire in a Can is OK.
2. Dutch Ovens/coaling are a go - ONLY at main fire ring just like last year
3. Mojoe is a go for Saturday morning pancake breakfast at main fire ring.
4. NO CHARCOAL at any of the outer areas/fire rings. ONLY at the main fire ring.
5. Propane BBQ's/stoves/devices are OK.

Common sense applies folks. We're in a historic drought cycle, let's not be the ones to burn down our favorite spot!!!

California%20Fire%20Danger%20Rating%20sign.jpg
J6769_open_flame_label_safety.png

20120601SAWG_fg19a.jpg

So, what's the thoughts on firearms ? I tend to bring my handgun when camping, just in case. I don't want to upset the family atmosphere, if guns aren't necessary. My gut is telling me to leave it at home, as it's probably not needed.

havent been on my 02 xr400 in a year. (work and truck mods) what kinda riding? might try to bring..want to bring
Well, it seems that Tim can't make it. We'll be riding beginner (n00b) friendly rides. Anything from open trail to single track based on comfort level. I'll be on a new-to-me 2002 WR426f so won't be going too fast...yet :moto. We generally ride pretty slow and make lots of pit stops.

We can always do the Pioneertown run in the AM and do some tighter trails in the PM.

So, what's the thoughts on firearms ? I tend to bring my handgun when camping, just in case. I don't want to upset the family atmosphere, if guns aren't necessary. My gut is telling me to leave it at home, as it's probably not needed.
I would guess they would be best left at home. I am always up for shooting, but with the fire restrictions it is probably for the best this time... but if you are looking to keep attackers away, then bring'em. : )

No need for them, best to leave 'em at home IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom