Zam15's Adventure Build

Zam15

Adventurist
My name is Derek, I am a San Diego, CA native. I have always had a love to find out what is over the next hill. When I came upon Expedition Portal I was able to see how my life long desire to own a “Go Anywhere” Toyota Tacoma and my love of camping and exploration could go hand in hand. I would now be able to travel to remote places with friends and family and not be limited to the standard tourist traps. My goal was to be able to transport and sleep four people with all their gear in one vehicle and maintain its ability to leave large motor homes behind. I decided the best vehicle to do this was the Toyota Tacoma Double Cab.

37861003602_e79f60c394_k.jpg

37634917900_e1f24c6327_h.jpg

38766999212_e9010fe7b1_h.jpg

37634918480_454c7a0124_h.jpg

37634919090_55aa5ea547_h.jpg

37634920440_0758a32574_h.jpg

37634920970_29241940ff_h.jpg

37634921190_43c499aee6_h.jpg

37634921380_cb04f524cd_h.jpg

37634922200_d830f38a58_h.jpg

34863123234_488cd9c4ac_h.jpg

34863122474_27f1dda663_h.jpg

34894818803_d9b2eef05b_h.jpg

34894817763_7dda3d62a5_h.jpg

34894808883_b2cbf8e1cb_h.jpg

35664964466_22e76e2808_h.jpg

34894987613_dc78e9232e_o.jpg

Armor:
All-Pro Sliders
ARB Front Bumper - Modified
Custom Diff Guard
1/4" Custom Skid
Rear Bumper - In progress

Suspension:
"Built Right Fabrication" Long Travel 3.5"
King 2.5” x 8" shocks w/remote reservoir and 700LB Coils
Cam tab gussets
Spindle gussets
Coil bucket/double shear UCA gussets
Heim steering
Tundra LT CV Axles
ARB Locker
4.88 Gears
Glassworks 6.5 " Fenders
Glassworks 6" Bedsides

Rea End:
Currie 9" Trussed Extreme Duty Housing
Currie 9+ Race Case
4.86 Gears, Extreme 35 Spline Axle
ARB Locker
3-Link + Panhard Bar
18" 2.5" Custom King Coilover Shocks
11" Explorer Drilled Rotors
Timbren Bump Stops F/R

Lights:
Bi-Xenon 55w 5000K HID Projector Headlights
7” 55w HID Off-Road Lights
Vision X LED Rock Lights
6 LED Light Bar (Swapped into turn ARB signals)
6 LED Pod Mounted in ARB

Expedition Gear:
Roof Top Tent w/Changing Room
Safari Roof Rack
Homemade Awning
Thule Swing Away Bike Rack
50QT ARB Fridge
Custom Snorkel
10" x 3.75" ARB/Donaldson Cyclonic Pre-Filter

Tires:
315/75R16 KO2
SCS Customs Stealth6 16" 3.5" BS
Viair 2.5 Gal Tank
ARB Dual Air Compressor

Powertrain
Transmission Cooler
TRD Supercharger
URD 7th Injector Kit
Tundra Disc Break Conversion with High Performance Slotted Rotors
Flowmaster 40

Other
Snugtop Camper Shell
Spray On Bed Liner
Towing Package

Recovery Gear
12,500lb Winch
Ranger 3/8" Synthetic Rope
Custom Splice Fairlead
Factor 55 Flatlink
Sand Ladders
Snow Chains
Hi-Lift Jack

Electrical
Mean Green High Output Alternator
IBS Dual Battery Kit
Dual Northstar Group 35 Batteries

Planned:
Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier
Hot water heater/aux tank
Flip-Pac or AT Habitat
Front Bypass Shocks

Old Mods:
65 Watt Solar - Mounted On Roof Rack
OME Front Shocks
Front Spacers
BFG MT, AT, RT in 255/85, 265/75
Budbuilt Traction Bar (Currently off the truck)
Dakar HD OME Leaf Springs + Deaver AAL
OME "Firm" Shocks N85
HD Shackles
Greasable Bushings
HD U-Bolts

Last edited:
Long travel not installed yet in that pic, Jim

Yes, I know, I should've multiquoted the post to not be confusing.
I noted the long travel in the first pic and his list of mods....long travel makes me jelly.
DSC00007-7.jpg

The pic I highlighted just made me gasp and squeeze.....I think I even let out a Dude! and some other words expressing fear/excitement.
P2080096.jpg

Regardless of any confusion I produced among you all, Awesome ride Zam!

Ha Mitch! Nice to know someone is keeping an eye on my build thread when I am not around ;)

Ya I have had a few o-$hit moments but try to avoid them whenever possible. But sometimes the trail is one way, a deer likes to play tag or the light is green and stuff happens :lol

Looks like I have a mean green alt and new RTT cover on the way! Hupefully it will meet all my power needs for some time.

Thought I would finally update my build, still collecting parts for the back end. Hopefully will have everything ready in a few months to take the truck into beast mode. After that I can prep for the Flip-Pac :lol Still aiming for the fastest expedition rig that's been built.

Well I pulled the trigger. Picked up a Ford 9" rear end to complete the build. This thing would cost well over 3K to have Currie build me a new one but I got a deal on this unit. Even have the original invoice.

Extreme Duty Housing
Race Case
Equal length 35 spline extreme duty tapered large bearing axles
Fully Trussed
66" WMS
4.88 Gears
Explorer Disc Brakes w/parking brake

:smiley_drive:

Other than a little surface rust and dirt she should clean up nicely. Will be a while until I can have it installed due to the cost and amount of work required but this is another big step forward! :wings:

I want to see this thing on the trail.

That pucker factor pic is a trail that had me saying choice words as well.

Very nicely built tacoma

Holy cow, nice axle. Your truck is truly going to be a beast. I had grand ideas when I started building my truck of having a speedy desert truck...not a chance. There is just no way to make 4 tons of road hugging weight down the dirt quickly. It does OK on graded dirt roads until I start thinking about what I'm going to do if I hit a washout. I'm fairly certain I got my '01 Dmax (no camper) air borne once, it was a surprisingly soft landing!

Remember this one...
summer2012303.jpg

Holy cow, nice axle. Your truck is truly going to be a beast. I had grand ideas when I started building my truck of having a speedy desert truck...not a chance. There is just no way to make 4 tons of road hugging weight down the dirt quickly. It does OK on graded dirt roads until I start thinking about what I'm going to do if I hit a washout. I'm fairly certain I got my '01 Dmax (no camper) air borne once, it was a surprisingly soft landing!

Remember this one...

Hey Bob! Ya that was a fun one.. Better safe than sorry, have seen a few rigs flip there. Man it's already been a few years :wow

I remember talking to you about a diamond axle and I believe you had one those in one of your jeeps, those things are beefy as well. Don't really plan on ever going stupid fast just want a durable rig that can go long distances as a decent speed. If I damage that axle I'll be amazed. Kind sad to get rid of my stock Tacoma axle, it has been good to me and the E-Locker is nice.

Last edited:
We ran untrussed Diamond housings in our race Jeepspeed car. Our car is/was the Wrangler.

henderson08111.jpg

I picked up an Extreme ARB dual air compressor, this has been on my list for some time. Will finally have on-board air! Time to stock up on air tools, air horns, air tanks. air lockers and beach floats :coffeedrink: and whatever else air is good for! Really bought it for the lockers however because I will be losing my elocker when I switch to the Ford 9" and I will be installing a front and rear ARB locker. Also will have 35"+ tires you need a serious compressor to keep those filled.

On another note I was recently having rough starts where then engine would run rough for about 30 seconds and then smooth out. Every so often I would get the P0303 code so I replaced all my coils, wires and plugs. Seems to have worked but I'll give it a few days. Also have new injectors on order should that be the problem.

Last few parts for the on-board air are flowing in, now to find the best place to mount this baby!

2.5 Gallon Viair Tank - Should run the air tools nicely.

I don't know if i would mount that there... Maybe under the bed behind either of the rear wheels?

Dang, I though mounting it to the tire was a good idea :dunno

Was planning on finding room under the cab so when I do the flush skid plate it would be protected. May hold off mounting it until I figure out the rear suspension.

Derek mount it in the side frame or under the bed above the spare tire. Will have to cut off the feet and use a SS band clamps like I did.

Back
Top Bottom