Zam15's Adventure Build

If you intend to keep swing out latches I would suggest if the holes for the lynch pins were vertical instead of horizontal potential 'walking' wouldn't be as big of concern?
"Screw down - don't screw up" - yes, pin migration is a very real issue. IF he ever takes it off-road (chum - chum) :D

Just wait till the pin migrates out and a swing out arm swings and hits the bed side when making a turn. Ask me how I know... :rofl

"Screw down - don't screw up" - yes, pin migration is a very real issue. IF he ever takes it off-road (chum - chum) :D

Just wait till the pin migrates out and a swing out arm swings and hits the bed side when making a turn. Ask me how I know... :rofl

Yep, nothing quite like a 2.5' to 4.5' long breaker bar (for all intents and purposes) with a 90+ pound wheel and tire combo, and/or 100+ lbs of jerry cans aided by some centrifugal force. Those pins look as effective as toothpicks IMO. There's a reason CBI used a 1" threaded shaft to secure my swingout. YMMV.

@Zam15 I would seriously suggest addressing those rather than giving it a go with what they came up with.

Yep, nothing quite like a 2.5' to 4.5' long breaker bar (for all intents and purposes) with a 90+ pound wheel and tire combo, and/or 100+ lbs of jerry cans aided by some centrifugal force. Those pins look as effective as toothpicks IMO. There's a reason CBI used a 1" threaded shaft to secure my swingout. YMMV.

@Zam15 I would seriously suggest addressing those rather than giving it a go with what they came up with.
Because - science! :lol

Seriously, the YouTube value of filming the carnage would be priceless, plus you know how it would make 'ol watashi feel to say, "I told you so...". That would make my year! :rofl

Because - science! :lol

Seriously, the YouTube value of filming the carnage would be priceless, plus you know how it would make 'ol watashi feel to say, "I told you so...". That would make my year! :rofl

Yea, pin seems like a real PITA to use, I had already requested to have them add a tabs so I can lock the swing-outs together for some theft proofing in the bed.

This would have also reduced the risk of them opening while in transit.

I'd like to add a latch or two just for functionality reasons.

Alright, a little more tweaking. Truck may be ready next week! Minus paint and I still need to tub the front wheels wells to fully stuff the 35s

Had the shop drop in larger pins, apparently they've swapped out many of the latch setups with a pin setups as there have been many issues with the latches coming loose over time ect.. Also added a point for a heavy duty discus lock to secure anything I would put in the bed. Only way in would be to smash the camper shell side windows. So the coil-overs should also be safe from tampering. The lock would also act as a redundancy from anything opening up while on the road.
41374049060_703ee63659_h.jpg

81oVM6xUXSL._SL1500_.jpg

Table appears to works great too, can't want to get some use out of it!
41374049430_992799ff80_h.jpg

Had to do some troubleshooting on the fuel tanks, guess my old pressure release valve was closed and so I was only able to take on half of what it should have.
Should be good now. It's actually pretty nice having direct access to the top of the tanks, just have to pull the cover. Would make swapping a bad fuel pump on the trail super easy.
Some people were also curious about the bedside bracing with the fiberglass to support the weight of the shell + RTT. Should hold up until I upgrade to a Go Fast Camper and can directly mount it off the bed cage/shock towers for a truly stout setup.
41374049930_e71edef5b9_h.jpg

Last edited:
At least the GFC will reduce a LOT of your current aftermarket weight. You'll need this, considering the weight of all the extra fuel, and the space provided that could let you go a little crazy on water storage at 8 lbs per gallon.

I predict this will be a valuable learning experience with the newly rebuilt truck, once completed, and on the trail as you envision using it.
:popcorn

I predict this will be a valuable learning experience with the newly rebuilt truck, once completed, and on the trail as you envision using it.
:popcorn
I've had it out already, mainly just to test a her out. Made a list of issues and the shop has already resolved most of them. I'm sure I'll find more little fixes/things to tweak as I use her more. Need to find out how much more capable the rig is, but not go far enough to risk breaking anything.

He's counting on beer weighing less?
What's the weight of bud light per gallon lol

At least the GFC will reduce a LOT of your current aftermarket weight. You'll need this, considering the weight of all the extra fuel, and the space provided that could let you go a little crazy on water storage at 8 lbs per gallon.

A lot of weight has been removed from the truck with a little more being added back on. But yes I'd like to remove any excess weight that's not needed. Figure a GFC would take some off along with improving aerodynamics

Last edited:
While we are held up for the spring loaded locking pins for the swing-outs to arrive I decided to toss on my Jerry Cans, Shackles and test fit my lock, got tired of the stuff sitting at my place. Feels even closer now. Have to swap out one light that was bad however.
42613927695_3c67a11938_b.jpg

I was also worried about the opening around the shock towers and getting some pretty bad dust and dirt in the back, I was concerned especially if I was going with a camper setup in the back. Worry no more! Some quick fiberglass work at the shop and it will soon be completely sealed up! :wine

Before:
43518734591_9821f30c17_b.jpg

After:
42613929175_e323873429_b.jpg

Truck is back on the lift, this week the front end was torn down to finish up cam tab gussets, while up there the lower bushings were replaced along with the cam tab bolts that have gone through some abuse, also the limit straps got some adjustment as they have stretched over time. Should cycle nice and smooth now!

Just stopped by and she's mostly back together! Should be able to grab her next week!
28793743777_4ffd44aa09_h.jpg

41874635970_c58a47785c_h.jpg

I'm calling this "Zam15's F-35" build. :D

lol I still have a pile of parts and huge list to do when I get her back. But I can take care of those things during the week :p

I've built several jets while this was in the shop! F-35 is shooting for one a day in FRP!

Hope it's not on a cost plus contract? Or is it too late for that?

Should have gone with firm fixed price!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom