Zam15's Adventure Build

On to shiny new truck parts! Fan, fan shroud, grill (chrome bla) bumper is half done.. Still waiting on King to build another set of shocks after they lost the first set. :coffee:

After the truck gets back from the shop I'm debating over some lighting upgrades... low quality paint mock up below. If I swap the turn signals to the corner lights it will allow me to load up the bumper. The install would only require me to drill one additional hole in the ARB as the ARB sticker, and old turn signals are already there. I may just need to expand the holes a little. Due to the angle of the ARB I'll get some great ditch and side overage.

Picking up a set of these to go where the ARB logo is

And a set of these to replace the blinkers. Should act as a decent fog, ditch, camp lights They'll give me much wider front coverage at the intend angle. I have also seen a few people mount the lights on the bumper wings...
The turn signals the ARB comes with are also crap, and I want to get all the mounting holes cut before the bumper goes to powder coat
A little different that my install "LED Light bars in turn signal location on ARB Deluxe Bull Bar"

Also stopped by the shop as they are back open after the holiday, not much progress due to the shut down so I just took another look at everything. The timbren bump stops seem to work great with the new setup! Actually more up travel now because there is not a 10 layer thick leaf spring on top of the axle, that at leas 4-5 more inches... rame plates are also doing their job!

A little rusty from not getting any love... Explorer drilled rotors from Currie for the rear and and you can see the lower links and panhard mount.

Love how beefy the axle is!!! Ready to eat some rocks, the custom diff guard is great, ties into the axle truss great just like the panhard mount. It's all tied in!

Do you have a realistic guess on when we will see you in camp again?

Sent via carrier pigeon

Possibly the sweetest Toyota I've ever seen. I can't wait to see it in action on a trail!
Tanks! Same here haha
Do you have a realistic guess on when we will see you in camp again?

Sent via carrier pigeon
Well at this rate.. 2047? I mean realistically they don't have too much work left but I head back to school in February to finish up my masters and thesis. Don't think they'll be done before that.

Thinking maybe fall I'll start getting out out a lot... I'll defiantly try to squeeze in a least a weekend trip or two once she is out of the shop. Hoping for feb/may to have her derivable again. Truck will essentially be 2WD for a while until I re-gear the front end and hook up the lockers. Can still make most sites.

Now I'm going down a rabbit hole looking at light bars... I'm looking at 20" for the center, I could squeez two, no there in there! Just where to mount... I just need to make sure I hook up the lockers as the LEDs wont get me out of a mud pit..
Depending on how the Nilight pods turn out I'm looking at this can't believe the prices now. I could get 33 of these for the price of one top brand. Reviews seem good.

Well here is the result I am looking for, to add some coverage on the sides that my HIDs and headlights don't currently get.
Here is a good example of a regular light bar vs light bar and two LED pods facing outwards slightly.

Now mounting, bottom, middle or top (top would likely result in tickets without a cover)?

Please PLEASE come talk to me at the shop before you decide on lighting

Please PLEASE come talk to me at the shop before you decide on lighting
LED pods going into the ARB are pretty much set (in route), don't have a ton of money to dump into it but they can be upgraded in the future to some high end units as they are the same mounting dimensions. Everything else I can consult Mitch - Lighting Guru! Where is "the shop"?

Hoping to get my HID projector headlights swapped back it but may end up running stock again for a while. Also hope those Kragen HIDs hold up a little longer. I will be moving the turn signals to the corner lights, so I'll need to swap the wiring around. May need to swap the bulbs with orange ones or LEDs.

The correct LED pods for the bumper finally showed up! These things feel solid and seem to put out some decent light doing a test hookup.

Can't want to see them installed, will likely drop by the shop Wednesday to see how it looks.

Are the longish lights turn signals, or just meant to go in the bumper turn signal opening?

They are going into the turn signal openings and the corner lights are getting wired up to be the new turn signals just like all the other vehicles on the road even the Tundra is setup like that. Not sure why they laid it out like that in the first place. I'll probably need to open up the holes a little more to fit these. I was actually surprised at the size/depth of the led lense between the pods and the bar. Pod seems closer go a spot which is fine.

The Truck Shop in San Diego... I would no longer recommend them for large projects, just quick maintenance items for now...

So it looks like the lower links are approximately 40" I believe the stock lowers on say a 4Runner will run about 26"

Passenger side bump stop slide nicely into the V ;)

Tight clearance all around..

LEDs will fit perfect! One nearly fits into the pre-existing cutouts, and the pod will fit perfectly where the ARB logo was, not sure why they had the holes cut out there in the first place but it makes the perfect location for new lights without having to cut out much more than what's already there.

This is the shit that really pissed me off a few weeks back... Should be getting new radios swapped back in however. Just pissed they cut most of the wires and use a crowbar to take the radios making it more of a P.I.T.A. to swap anything back in. :mad:

It was so clean before :(

Last edited:
Not the most brilliant thieves, stole the radios, left the mic hanging there. I'd love to catch someone in the act just once.

Were the radios stolen while at the shop?
Yup
That sucks.
Always does, wish we were chopping off hands these days... :mad:
Not the most brilliant thieves, stole the radios, left the mic hanging there. I'd love to catch someone in the act just once.
Well they got the $20 CB, but left the $500 HAM radio :confused: Glad they did not yank that or the URD controller out, that would have been a serious headache to redo. Pretty sure whoever took the stuff did not make it through grade school.

Finally had time to toss a quick Baja trip video together! :) No audio so I added some music, feel free to mute if its not your style.

On to updates!!! I actually have some this time!
Trucks finally coming together, shocks have been completed by King, bumper is done, bedsides are getting mounted, and the new radiator has arrived!
Real trucks have curves!!

Plenty of room for shocks and 35" now :)

Bumper is done and off to powder coat. general light alignment. Well protected here.

Long travel needs more love

Shock location, strapped at +/-20"

Back
Top Bottom