Zam15's Adventure Build

Looks nice! While they're fabbing up the bumper you might consider a RH and LH notch for a HLJ nose.

1bhgqb.jpg

Nose notch? :confused:
peeking-penny.jpg

Progress was faster than I expected. A little more prominent than I was shooting for but then again I have an ARB up front.
26288516078_99d06328bd_o.jpg

26288515948_31e2b498d9_o.jpg

39450306704_e9d261a765_o.jpg

39450306454_68f9271c84_o.jpg

40129017832_9c1af7823a_o.jpg

Fabricators asked if I wanted to use the bumper as an air tank, if so he could completely seal it off... already have an air tank to go in but it got me thinking...

Got my decoder ring for that one. Thinking about ditching my Hi-Lift completely, or at least the one I have.

Truck has so much travel my Hi-Lift can't even get the tires off the ground. If I went with a taller jack it would be even more sketchy. When I used it last the thing was starting to deflect due to the weight of the truck.

Bought a new bottle jack that will be my go-to for a while. Just feels safer. Maybe get some safe jack accessories like @BlkWgn

I've only used my Hi-Lift once in the 10 years I've had it.

Last edited:
Truck has so much travel my Hi-Lift can't even get the tires off the ground.

I have this problem with my jeep. I ratchet strap the axle to the frame to change tires. I too have used my hi-lift as a come-along. I don't like bottle jacks, i think, because I don't like crawling under the vehicle to place them

Is it me, or is your bed and shell sloping to the rear?
Maybe? Could also be the shell design and glass bedsides. She's all curvy, but then again I've also slammed into a few into a few boulders and have had multiple cars try to take me out.

Cab clearance is normal and the entire frame is boxed and plated.

I have this problem with my jeep. I ratchet strap the axle to the frame to change tires. I too have used my hi-lift as a come-along. I don't like bottle jacks, i think, because I don't like crawling under the vehicle to place them

Strapping really does help, or a simple snap chain.

I always ask a few questions when I meet a Hi-Lift Denier ;)

Is there something else in your kit that can act as a spreader or cutter (jaws of life) in a rollover situation? Adding the JackMate to one gives you the ability to turn your Hi-lift jack into a hydraulic power like tool. The Jack Mate slides over either end of the Hi-Lift Jack bar using quick release pins. When used as the base plate, the Jack Mate has “gnarly teeth” which dig into logs and rocks giving greater stability and support. As the top clamp, the Jack Mate adds greater stability and strength to the bar. It also has a slot for a 3/8” chain and a 1” hole for clevis attachments. Using a Hi-Lift Jack, a chain and the Jack Mate, you can have a powerful bender/straightener to get bent tie rods closer to straight on the trail.

Really need to hear the backstory on this one! :eek:

Try to avoid those situations, just hope my winch and bottle jack are enough to get me out.

Also need more details on that propane tank holder!

Thought I had a specific post on this near miss

https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/backyard-adventures-washington.5118/page-3

About as close as I could find.

The propane tank holder is a slow day at work making sure my high dollar fab guys get 10 hours. CRES steel Hilocks and monel rivets for fasteners. Whipped up the frame work in the driveway to bolt the tank holder to. Had a buddy welder up. Being cheap or as Tim would say thrifty.

Back
Top Bottom