Yet to be named mild 04 doc tundra build.

jonesw3

Adventurist
Well, I don't have near as an impressive rig as most you out there in adventure land. I am on a limited budget and Craigslist has been my best friend. But none the less, it meets my needs. I started off with a stock 04 Toyota Tundra double cab 4x4 many years ago. Over time I have slowly tweaked, built, adjusted, and rebuilt parts and accessories on my tundra. I don't have very many pictures but I will post the few I took along way. A quick run down of what all I have done at this point.
ARE camper shell
Custom made roof rack ( my first ever attempt at welding)
Waag brush guard ( soon to be replaced)
2 IPF spot lights
All led lights on the interior
Bilstien 5100s on all 4 corners
Ome 885 springs
Wheelers diff drop kit
Magnaflow exhaust
Cb radio
Many other minor add ons not really worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here is what she looked like not long after I got here and installed the brush guard and a tonneau cover.
3c4ff4cb8151c060ba9af71dd5b844bc.jpg

b1558f6483306325850a776affbfaf32.jpg

Here is a picture of the camper being prepped for paint.
9b67f5b5169640e9bb7aa82314e6dfa7.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the rack being built and the finished camper shell and rack
e34c611d529bad257e7718662636e9de.jpg

2c4f30b055b598d3bcf9be778472ca9e.jpg

bd2af68d76ccc3adfcc434516dff4ac7.jpg

cb1ccd1f6a5ab91d4ed98276935c2a08.jpg

A few random wheeling pictures
0e71647f9a5444dd61410f80ba01b4dd.jpg

b3c42bc4714243497daf14cf841390fd.jpg

I linexed the fender flares and plastidiped the wheels.

This is my utility trailer/ kayak hauler ready for a weekend trip
5d0feaa7590d3b23348462e852d5c259.jpg

My suspension setup ( not pictured, wheelers 1in rear lift blocks... For now)

0fe2600d9be300c3d7d0e5b70c897111.jpg

I managed to get a great deal on a m101a2 trailer that I will be turning into my offroad camper. I will prob start a build thread on it later.

3fbeb33f2db50f1c7f621429bc02d8e2.jpg

I found a free camper shell on Craigslist that fit the trailer pretty good.
c35baacf1951ea141dd7ca8a70cf30f5.jpg

7091d474610264a16d78ef73e57b6ab0.jpg

I was in a fender bender last last week and luckily I am going to be able to make the best of it. I will be placing my order Monday with brute force fab for one of these bad boys.
9715f3090389838899bedb92afe63490.jpg

e46806141377653c779129d11990be2b.jpg

I will post up pictures as soon as I get it. It should take about 6 ( long) weeks to get it in.

Very nice!

The important thing is you are building to meet YOUR needs, not what the interweb experts tell you that you need. I've seen several people build interweb inspired monster rigs and end up hating every second that they spent driving it.

Yup, I can second what Bob said. Build it to suit your needs. I built a jeep once to "keep up with the jones'". The jeep got to the point where it wasn't street able anymore, and became a pita to take anywhere to go wheeling, so I eventually sold it. Now that I'm building my dodge slowly, and semi methodically to suit my needs. Sure, I don't have the coolest rig out there with all the bells and whistles, but it works... loving where you're headed!

Last edited:
Very nice!

The important thing is you are building to meet YOUR needs, not what the interweb experts tell you that you need. I've seen several people build interweb inspired monster rigs and end up hating every second that they spent driving it.

Amen. The best rig is the one you build for yourself rather than shooting for internet credibility. Looking good!

Tundra's are friggin' awesome adventure machines and now that the prices are coming down on the 1st generation there is getting to be a slew of them on the forums and out on the road all kitted out. Our own DC Tundra Fafhrd has served us very well over the years and has proven itself as a noble steed despite my aversion to sticking farkle and doodads on to it just 'cause the cool kids do. Build the truck the way you wan, 'cause all that really matters is what you get to experience when it takes you into those adventurous places we seek.

What does Plastidipping the wheels do?
Plastidip is an easy way to color change your wheels. Best part is, if you don't like it, it peels off with no I'll effects. Its original use was to add rubber coating to metal handled tools like pliers and such. Now there are people who Plastidip entire vehicles, and there are several people who have started decently lucrative businesses as plasti dip sprayers of vehicles...

Does it offer protection to the cars finish, How long does it last and I wonder if I could Plastidip my FWC Hawk to better match my truck. Is the stuff durable?

I've had it on my wheels now for almost 6months. There are a few spots that have started to peel but over all I am extremely happy with the durability. The best part is I can strip the old off and respray them again for around $20.

It may offer a little protection to the car finish but don't expect much.

Yes, as far as protection, don't expect much. However, to color match your fwc, you could plastidip, although I'd consider either traditional paint or line x if you want durability.

I'm confused... I thought this was the, "Yet to be named mild 04 doc tundra build" thread. :confused:

Now there are more posts about "plastidip" than there are about the Tundra! :lol

Maybe we need a plastidip thread so we don't take away from this build thread?

Haha. True.
There has been a small change of plans. Instead of ordering the brute force fab bumper today, I will be ordering a set of rock sliders. Any tundra owners out there have any suggestions. I know it's slim Pickens. So far I have narrowed it down to either Stubbs or all pro.

Back
Top Bottom