Winter Safari - NC Mountains - 27-29 January 2017

Prepping for this began yesterday with an oil change and some general organization. Today, Ann let me know that my nth degree 3" springs arrived, so I may have to do one of those last minute builds like you see on TV and get them mounted...

Who else is going?

It has been on my radar, but I play bass in band and we have a gig Saturday night. Can't pass up the chance to make a little extra jingle for the pockets.

The event closed registration over a week ago. I had to wait for my daughter's schedule and when it was free, I messaged the company, two days later he posted it was closed....

The event closed registration over a week ago. I had to wait for my daughter's schedule and when it was free, I messaged the company, two days later he posted it was closed....

Yeah, I think it closed 10 days before the event or something, I signed up paid and still wasn't sure for several days if I had made it in or not.

This one is in the books. We did not do the trail ride, too many vehicles. Instead @BushHead, my older brother and I piled into the jeep and snuck up into Blowing Rock. We took a back road, Globe Road, which turned out to be a very cool little mountain road, sometimes paved, sometimes not. Blowing Rock was in the midst of a festival... it was yuppie heaven and so we slid on through and following Matt's directions headed down to Linville on 221. Very scenic 19 miles or so. After lunch we struck out cross country and through a little trial and error, found FS464. This is a beautiful drive, well worth it. I found I did not miss being on the trail ride at all... Anyway, a few pics. I am not sure I will be returning to Winter Safari. Little bit too crowded, high $...
Of note, however, is O'Callaghan's Publick House in Mocksville, NC. Nice atmosphere, good wings, nice beer selection. Was the choice for lunch on the way up and what do you know... lunch on the way home also :) http://ocallahansnc.com/about-us/
IMG_3018.JPG

Venison chili on the first chilly night (see what I did there?)
IMG_3023.JPG

That ugly mug is my brother Jim... cooking breakfast on Sunday morning as we packed up.
IMG_3024.JPG

I had a hell of a good time... haven't stayed up to 2:30am drinking since my 20's, and I can't say it was the best idea this time either!! lol!! I have mixed feelings on this, I really did have a great time, but still not sure what the fee was for, basically expensive field camping and a guide for some public roads, even the "trail" ride is a public road regardless of its state of disrepair. But it did get the group of us together, which I'm to lazy to do... probably wont go again either... unless someone says lets go!

I had a hell of a good time... haven't stayed up to 2:30am drinking since my 20's, and I can't say it was the best idea this time either!! lol!! I have mixed feelings on this, I really did have a great time, but still not sure what the fee was for, basically expensive field camping and a guide for some public roads, even the "trail" ride is a public road regardless of its state of disrepair. But it did get the group of us together, which I'm to lazy to do... probably wont go again either... unless someone says lets go!
If I say "let's go" you say, "to the woods" and we'll camp and drink up on my ridge. Deal?

Back
Top Bottom