Winter Road trip planing

Yumafolks

Adventurist
It’s been 11 years since my Wife and I took a major holiday road trip. Time to start planing this years. Independence KS to Yuma Az via Colorado, Moab Ut, Canyon-lands NP and Monument Valley. Looking for ideas of camping locations along or near I-70 through Colorado. I want to put together contingency plans for road closures and any secret Hot Springs along the way where we can truck camp for a night. Thanks in advance.

The only spot I can offer you along the 70 is right on the Colorado / Utah border. If you are traveling east to west, it is the last exit before hitting Utah. As you get off the 70 you are almost immediately in the dirt. There is a small blm campground (first come first serve) with no amenities other then a couple of level spots for tents, but it is also open for Dispersed camping.

I was in a Subaru Outback pulling a Uhaul trailer and traveling solo so I did not venture too far. I camped just north of the red marker, but you can continue farther south and have some dispersed areas with views of the Colorado river, or continue on and there are a couple of BLM sites right on the river.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 9.28.02 AM.png
The left side of the screen is the Utah border and straight line from the 70 to the river is approximately 3.3 miles.

I arrived well after dark and left just after sunrise so I don’t have many pictures

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 9.50.02 AM.png
outback-swag-1.jpg

It’s a half hour south of I-15 but we love camping at Goblin Valley State Park. It’s one of the darkest places in the US and has great short hikes through hoodoos that are unique to the area.

Weather sealed the back of the truck for sleeping this week and added some old school 55watt halogen Fog lights to assist in bad weather. Also got the Falken AT3W’s rebalanced and rotated. It amazes me how rough I am on those tires and the balance and run smooth down the freeway nice and quiet.

The plan is to have all our gear either in cab, hitchgate or the roof rack. Leaving the back of the truck for the bed rolled up so we can cook, eat, get warm and sleep whenever we want to without having to unload or set up camp. I think we have done it.

Adding this platform allows full access to my recovery gear against the back wall. Plus the cooler, kitchen box and dry food cooler are level. Throwing the clothes bags on top so we can get at them. As long as the truck stays on all four tires we should be good.

The rack has 6 gal gas, case of emergency water, traction boards a BBQ in the black bag with a tool box holding basic oil, wd40 and so on. The first leg of the trip we will be pulling the trailer to Kansas

It was 4degrees this morning in the bed of the truck. Momma gets a cozy hotel tonight in Glenwood springs and a trip to the HOT SPRINGS. Tomorrow we head to Ut

I should have taken more photos of the rest areas along i-70 in Kansas. They have BBQ’s fire pits shade covers, picnic tables and warm bathrooms. We planed to get a very late start leaving our sons place and stelth Camp the 26th. The rest stop was a good fit.

4F6D3D85-4161-431C-9A34-803D0F0E4B76.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom