Winch Solenoid Help

ramonortiz55

Adventurist
I am looking into installing in cab winch controls.

I picked up this solenoid:

There was no wiring diagram or wiring instructions.

Any idea where to start or how to figure out what is ground, in, out, power?

I can solder, crimp, etc.

I just don't know where to start when it comes to figure out what contact goes to where.

I have a voltmeter, but don't have too much experience using it.

tips?

More info needed. Do you already have a winch? Mounted? Wired? Does it have a solenoid?

More info needed. Do you already have a winch? Mounted? Wired? Does it have a solenoid?

Agreed. You don't need another solenoid if you already have it installed, along with the winch of course. You need to wire into your solenoid contacts and then run the wiring through your fire wall to the location where you will mount the 2 switches. Many good write-ups on the internet for this and a couple companies that even make kits for the DIY guy.

Whether you are installing a new replacement solenoid or using your current winch solenoids there are kits available. Long ago I remember Jonesing on one of these:

http://www.12voltguy.com/WINCH-WIRE-KIT.html

These days, I would much prefer to do it myself with factory style switches, or simply plug in a wireless controller and call it done.

Agreed. You don't need another solenoid if you already have it installed, along with the winch of course. You need to wire into your solenoid contacts and then run the wiring through your fire wall to the location where you will mount the 2 switches. Many good write-ups on the internet for this and a couple companies that even make kits for the DIY guy.
Yes, I am aware of this. I just need to figure out what wire goes to what contact if I was to do this.

I know which wires go from the winch to the solenoid - the heavy gauge wire. By matching my existing wiring to the existing solenoid. - It is the same solenoid.

The three spade tabs on top, I don't know which is what.

Whether you are installing a new replacement solenoid or using your current winch solenoids there are kits available. Long ago I remember Jonesing on one of these:

http://www.12voltguy.com/WINCH-WIRE-KIT.html

These days, I would much prefer to do it myself with factory style switches, or simply plug in a wireless controller and call it done.
This is EXACTLY what I want to do.

but how would I know what connector goes to which spade?

Also, wouldn't I need TWO Switches? One for in-out and one for power off/on?

These:

https://otrattw.net/CONTURA-V-WINCH-POWER-LOWER-LED-INDEPENDENT-V1D1JBBB-PZCWN-5WP.html

https://otrattw.net/V-SERIES-SEALED-WINCH-IN-OUT-ROCKER-SWITCH-V8D2UXXB-PZCWN-1IO.html

Last edited:
While I can't say with 100% certainty that it will be the same, it looks like many of the other solenoids on the market.

wiring_view.jpg

As far as what connector goes to what spade...

Center is ground. The outboards are either in or out. If you guess wrong, no big deal, swap sides to get the direction of travel right. You can do a single three position switch (on-off-on) with momentary actuation, or two individual momentary switches... depends on what you prefer. I would recommend the first. Yes, always have a master switch for the in cab controls.

You can do a single three position switch (on-off-on) with momentary actuation, or two individual momentary switches... depends on what you prefer. I would recommend the first. Yes, always have a master switch for the in cab controls.
To be clear...I assume this means a 2-switch combo of Master on-off and winch controller 3-position on-off-on switch. I encourage the master on-off to avoid the potential for accidentally activating the winch.

To be clear...I assume this means a 2-switch combo of Master on-off and winch controller 3-position on-off-on switch. I encourage the master on-off to avoid the potential for accidentally activating the winch.

Correct. The second option I presented would be a total of 3 switches. In/Out/Master

Ordered some switches and wiring.

Im gonna finalize this.

I found a wiring diagram from a warn, looks like their solenoid has the exact three prongs as mine - in - ground - out. Also, to further confirm our discussion, I emailed smitty and they verified - in - ground - out..

ill be wiring it the same way as the diagram except i wont have a winch controller.

Back
Top Bottom