Winch Question

How long can you let a good, working winch just sit without being used? Assuming you don't get stuck, or have to pull someone else out? Do any of you just run the cable out and back in every so often as part of routine maintenance?

(I have a Superwinch mounted on my project truck. It's been two years since I put it on, and I've never had to use it. Frankly, it's there for just-in-case; and it wouldn't break my heart if I NEVER used it. But if I need it, I'll really NEED it. Hence my questions.)

I recommend unspooling/inspecting/respoolong the line under power at least once a year.

This gives you the opportunity to see (and know) that your line is in good shape (check it all the way from the eye to where it attaches to the drum) and it verifies that your winch controller and electrical connections are all in good working order. It also gets the grease inside the case stirred up and re-coats the moving parts which is very important.

On mine, I tear them down every 3-4 years and inspect the guts, give it fresh grease, and new gaskets. Since most winches do sit outside exposed to rain/heat/cold/freeze/thaw etc its a good idea to be mindful of condensation and corrosion that can accumulate inside the case unnoticed. If you submerge your winch for any reason a tear down and inspect is indicated.

YMMV.

Even if I don't use them I like to unspool them about every 6 months. The reason is to inspect everything and clean/re-oil the one with the steel cable. The other reason is to make sure it will free spool out. They can develop a lot of moisture and the clutch will rust in place then you have to take it apart and clean out the rust and re-oil them. You still should be able to use it on power in/out in a pinch but that in my opinion that can start over working your winch and unnecessarily taxing the battery. When I re-spool them I like to attach it to one of my other vehicles in neutral on a slight downgrade and bring it in under tension so it's a nice and clean spool.

Good gouge Celt II!

Most electric winches should not be powered out... the exceptions are those with external braking mechanisms or emergency. The majority have conical brakes within the drum which remains partially engaged when winching out. This friction causes increased wear and heat which can be destructive to the drum body and synthetic rope, causing premature loss of capacity.

Please observe this practice to extend the life and reliability of your gear. Clutch failure is an indicator for immediate (when practical) maintenance, and should that maintenance not resolve function, replace the winch.

Not mentioned was lubrication type. Not all winches require grease, e.g., the classic WARN 8274 uses oil; a standard 30W motor oil is satisfactory. Why not gear oil since it's way more viscous and endures heat well? It doesn't migrate well on the planetary gear shafts and this is of particular concern in cold weather. But the typical electric winch will benefit best with the application of a lithium-based 5% Molybdenum grease which stays in place despite the weather and protects well in wet conditions, should case integrity be violated. However, always consult your winch manufacturers instructions for lubrication tips and maintenance frequency. The benefit is gear reliability, and in some cases, manufacturer warranty.

Back
Top Bottom