Wilderness First Aid with NOLS and REI

Yes. My wife and I took it a few years ago along with a couple we camp with sometimes. It's kinda basic, but a lot of good info and techniques. I strongly encourage you to take a buddy or three. It would suck it you got hurt and were the only one trained. Like Will, we plan to take a refresher next year.

This is true even for the minor injuries. The most common injury for me over the years has been my hands. Working on the truck, trail building, fires, sharps, etc.... I'm always beating them up. Have you ever tried to dig out the first aid kit, open it up, and bandage your bleeding, busted, hand using only your good hand? And remember, like 1/2" and 10mm sockets, it's the hand you use the most that you lose first. So try it left handed.

Life is a lot easier if other folks in your group know what they're doing.

not dogging REI, but i'd highly recommend spending a week at Nantahala and taking the SOLO wilderness first responder class. It's just a wonderful time on the where the AT meets a great kayaking river. and the instruction is solid. lots of practice, which is what you need, and a much broader range of topics.

I took the SOLO wilderness first aid course. They don't mess around. You well get in the dirt as the victim and the first responder after each section. You pack an approximate and disposable version of your normal gear that you take with you because you'll be making splints and slings from whatever you have.

https://soloschools.com/

I'm looking at a layoff here in about two weeks and depending on finances and curtailment of the CV-19 I may end up taking the WFR course. I have done WFA several times. It may be an opportunity for me to upgrade my skill set.

Back
Top Bottom