Wilco tire carriers

hidesertwheelin

Adventurist
I've been researching rear bumpers with tire carriers for my 100 series, and am really having a hard time pulling the trigger on $2500 + for a bumper. I found a used Wilco Hitchgate Max for sale for about 25% the cost of a new rear bumper. While I like the added protection of rear armor, I don't know if I can justify the cost, and the Wilco will get my spare out from underneath the truck, and allow me to carry fuel and tow my off-road trailer. For those that have a Wilco, what are your thoughts on them? Can they take a few hits off road? I'm not a rock crawler by any means, but I'm sure it will take a hit or two.

Last edited:
I ran one for about a year. Here is the write up I did shortly after getting it. https://familyoffthemap.com/2017/08/02/hitchgate/

I would still be running it today, but I put a new bumper on which relocated the hitch too high for the swingout. As for taking a hit, I can say first hand that normal dragging when going through a ditch and basic bumps it handles no problem, but the pine trees of the Kaibab National Forest will bend one. Even after the bend it was rock solid and carried my 37 for another 6 months before getting it repaired and it is not on the Goose Gear Ford

I did quite a bit of research on them and it'll be the way I go when I find a deal on one. I couldn't find anyone who had bad things to say about them. No one makes bumpers for my vehicle and the cost to have one fabricated is astronomical.

I had one on my Ram/FWC combo. Loved it and never had a minutes problem. No rattles or anything. Even got hit while parked on the street and it only tweaked the ring the wheel mounted to a little. Took a 5 lbs hammer and straighten it out well enough to continue using. Used to tow a car trailer with 4000 lbs. vehicles no problem. Would totally use one again.

PICT6180.jpg

i ran a tiregate with the vertical tire carrier (285-70-R17 mounted) on my last vehicle, a 3/4 ton 2006 Dodge with cummins diesel for about 7 years and 140k miles. It did not fit perfectly so had to fab up some aluminum stock shims to get it square during the install, but after that it was terrific. They are steel and they are powdercoated which is a recipe for rust in colder climes. Each spring id hit it with rattlecan awesomeness to cover up all the rock dings and such.

Quality item.

I looked at them for my 200 Series but went with the Westcott Designs carrier instead.

I picked up a Westcott designs hitch mounted tire carrier for my 2013 200 Series Land Cruiser.

Jeff Westcott personally supervised the fitting of the carrier and explained how it worked.

The carrier is strong and rattle free. The D/S tray can be removed and a second spare tire can be fitted . There are mounting points for three Rotopax.

There is a built in fold down table that will be very handy while camping. The tray can fit four jerry cans or a large cooler or anything you can mount to it.

Since I have a 40 gallon aux fuel tank I don't need to carry extra fuel anymore but the tray will come in handy for carrying water.

I also looked at the Wlico Off Road tire carrier. The Wico has everything on one swing out arm. The cargo rack is mounted over the tire. That requires anything to be lifted over your head to get up there. Not very easy with a heavy cooler or cargo box. Also hard to get into without a step ladder.
The gas/water cans are also mounted high up.
The rear window is also blocked.

The Wescott carrier has a cradle the tire fits into. Due to the low height, it is easy to get the tire in the cradle. One method is to roll the tire over one of the support arms into the cradle.

As you can see the the rear cargo tray is very versatile. The tray will fit a 100 QT yeti. The tray can be removed and a second spare tire fitted.

I'll be giving it a real world test soon on the Camino del Diablo.

https://westcottdesigns.net/product/universal-hitch-mount-tire-rack/

IMG_20200103_153054959_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20200103_153135459_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200103_153219553_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20200104_152059743_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200106_113816601_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200112_171724070.jpg
IMG_20200113_085720889_HDR.jpg

Here are some pictures of the 200 Series with the Wilco Solo I borrowed from my Porsche.

It blocks the rear window and it was difficult to get that 100lb tire up to chest height and balance it to get it on the wheel stud to get it mounted.
IMG_20191221_202949_01 (1).jpg
IMG_20191222_101955923_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191230_151121262_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at them for my 200 Series but went with the Westcott Designs carrier instead.

I picked up a Westcott designs hitch mounted tire carrier for my 2013 200 Series Land Cruiser.

Jeff Westcott personally supervised the fitting of the carrier and explained how it worked.

The carrier is strong and rattle free. The D/S tray can be removed and a second spare tire can be fitted . There are mounting points for three Rotopax.

There is a built in fold down table that will be very handy while camping. The tray can fit four jerry cans or a large cooler or anything you can mount to it.

Since I have a 40 gallon aux fuel tank I don't need to carry extra fuel anymore but the tray will come in handy for carrying water.

I also looked at the Wlico Off Road tire carrier. The Wico has everything on one swing out arm. The cargo rack is mounted over the tire. That requires anything to be lifted over your head to get up there. Not very easy with a heavy cooler or cargo box. Also hard to get into without a step ladder.
The gas/water cans are also mounted high up.
The rear window is also blocked.

The Wescott carrier has a cradle the tire fits into. Due to the low height, it is easy to get the tire in the cradle. One method is to roll the tire over one of the support arms into the cradle.

As you can see the the rear cargo tray is very versatile. The tray will fit a 100 QT yeti. The tray can be removed and a second spare tire fitted.

I'll be giving it a real world test soon on the Camino del Diablo.

https://westcottdesigns.net/product/universal-hitch-mount-tire-rack/
Not sure how, but I have somehow never seen this option. I like the idea of it a lot, unfortunately I don’t think it will work for me with the higher than stock receiver hitch. I will have to contact them with some measurements and see if it will clear.

Here are some pictures of the 200 Series with the Wilco Solo I borrowed from my Porsche.

It blocks the rear window and it was difficult to get that 100lb tire up to chest height and balance it to get it on the wheel stud to get it mounted.View attachment 49349View attachment 49350View attachment 49351

That looks very sturdy and the height seems just fine to me to see the rear. We'll be working on buddy's 200 series next right after we finished installing the rack and fishbone jeep bumper on his current Wrangler project. I'll show him those pics and see if it will fit to his needs.

The Wilco Hitchgate IMO is a well built product & I can understand why they have it @ the price they do. I was looking for a hitch receiver swing out spare tire carrier for my trailer build. I looked for a few months off & on & settled with Kuat Swing Out Hitch. https://www.moosejaw.com/product/kuat-pivot-swing-away-extension---for-2in-hitch_10376213?ad_id=GooglePlusBox&utm_source=GooglePlusBox&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=Kuat&cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-SC_Shopping_NoPromo_Nonbrand_Desktop|SC_Shopping_NoPromo_Nonbrand_Desktop-_-google|652804451|30576947942|113834596963|pla-321047113379|c|9025797|4295113&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0pnH7em35wIVBF8NCh0hzwRNEAQYCSABEgIlgfD_BwE
I did some mod's on it by adding a spare tire up right to hold my spare & drop down table by Front Runner. It slides in the 2" receiver the bolt slides in from the right side & engages threads on the left side hole of the Kuat Swing Out Hitch. After tighten you insall a key'd lock. It has never came loose on me & keeps my spare tire secured on & off road. I like the double latch system it has, keeping the swing out hitch locked into the close position. The price is affortable & the product seems to be very well built.
014.JPG
65387448_2269204343128427_8563852617116024832_n.jpg
65554874_2273174906064704_7866513738298294272_n.jpg
62407422_2236873419694853_8331918589221142528_n.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of Wilco -When I rolled through Quartzite a few weeks back, Wilco was showing all of their cool, well made stuff. Included was this amazing rack to carry your UTV/ATV on the back of a huge motor home. It was extremely well made and a pretty neat design.

0995B943-98FF-4892-93BE-6790ED50FD21.jpeg
8F5B4F4D-0F8A-4A37-BDFE-1CEC9C0F958D.jpeg

A big concern of mine is the ability to pull my travel trailer with whatever tire carrier I run. I believe I can use a wilco but it will cut the tongue weight in half. I may have to use a hitch on the front and put the wheel/tire there.

Back
Top Bottom