Wiggys Sleeping Bags

woody

Adventurist
In anticipation of cooler weather coupled with the advancing age(6 yrs) of my existing sleeping bag I took the advice of some here and bought a Wiggys ultra light bag rated to 0 degrees. Wiggy's advertises that they are the only ones that manufacture bags here in the USA. I cheaped out and took the $50.00 discounted purple color. First impression is that this is a real quality piece of gear. The zipper is hell bent for stout with a thick full length baffle to avoid the cold zipper syndrome. Plenty of loft and only 4 lbs. I'll update after actual usage. Don't know how long I can wait for cooler weather so perhaps I will undertake an adventure that gets me over 11 or 12k of elevation where it will undoubtedly be cooler. Will post after action evaluation.

In anticipation of cooler weather coupled with the advancing age(6 yrs) of my existing sleeping bag I took the advice of some here and bought a Wiggys ultra light bag rated to 0 degrees. Wiggy's advertises that they are the only ones that manufacture bags here in the USA. I cheaped out and took the $50.00 discounted purple color. First impression is that this is a real quality piece of gear. The zipper is hell bent for stout with a thick full length baffle to avoid the cold zipper syndrome. Plenty of loft and only 4 lbs. I'll update after actual usage. Don't know how long I can wait for cooler weather so perhaps I will undertake an adventure that gets me over 11 or 12k of elevation where it will undoubtedly be cooler. Will post after action evaluation.
Any cool camping updates?

Wasn't the US military using Wiggy's? They also used to make a fishnet type thermal underwear for active people that supposedly worked well.

Wasn't the US military using Wiggy's? They also used to make a fishnet type thermal underwear for active people that supposedly worked well.
Nope - Tennier Industries, Inc. I still use the one I was issued (the new sleep system) back in 1995 and have been satisfied with it's performance to sub-freezing conditions. Made in Huntsville, Tennessee.

1545423646534.png

Some smaller individual units of the military have used Wiggys over the years. But not in large quantities.

Some smaller individual units of the military have used Wiggys over the years. But not in large quantities.
True... Commanders discretionary funds. If there was only a way to account for the hundreds of millions spent on items purchased in this category. Items not necessarily entered into the Property Book...

1545429683416.png

Haha, yup. I do the supply ordering in my shop. I go outside of contract all the time to get the better product.

After we encountered snow on a camping trip a few weeks ago I decided it was time to buy new cold weather bags for the wife and me. My bag wasn’t rated low enough for comfort in those conditions. Reading reviews on here and elsewhere, I decided to give Wiggy’s a try. I ended up ordering their -20F bags named Ultima Thule and they arrived today. I can’t speak to their warmth personally just yet (reviews are top notch) but these are easily the highest quality bags we’ve ever owned. We’re looking forward to trying them in the field and are seriously considering the Overbags that these can zip into for a -60F rating because they can also be used independently as summer 35F bags. I believe that would consolidate our unnecessarily large collection of bags down to just these 2/4.

After we encountered snow on a camping trip a few weeks ago I decided it was time to buy new cold weather bags for the wife and me. My bag wasn’t rated low enough for comfort in those conditions. Reading reviews on here and elsewhere, I decided to give Wiggy’s a try. I ended up ordering their -20F bags named Ultima Thule and they arrived today. I can’t speak to their warmth personally just yet (reviews are top notch) but these are easily the highest quality bags we’ve ever owned. We’re looking forward to trying them in the field and are seriously considering the Overbags that these can zip into for a -60F rating because they can also be used independently as summer 35F bags. I believe that would consolidate our unnecessarily large collection of bags down to just these 2/4.

That’s a great idea, interested to see how these work out for you.

Back
Top Bottom