WHY and HOW do trails get closed? SHARE your examples here!

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
This thread is for examples of incidents that lead to areas and trails being closed. Post up what you see when you see it so others can learn how NOT to do it!

We'll start with Exhibit A here. People who go off trail and pose "for the 'Gram" should realize how bad this looks, and how it encourages others to emulate shots like this.

A2EC208C-A866-44B2-9AB5-9C7A6F9832EA.jpeg

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
There was a time when Machelle and I were very active with land use issues, in the west specifically, but land use issues in general as it relates to off pavement travel.

I had a taste of what Dave Cole had to go through early on with the King of the Hammers events...I'm sure @Dave and Associates have had the same legal hula hoops to hold the Desert Rendezvous events. The planning, $$$, permits, restrictions that have to be jumped through make putting any event on BLM land a challenge. I think this group (AAV) has probably developed a trust with the BLM, but all it takes is a new BLM manager to make earning that trust all over again a priority

Legal off pavement riding groups can't get along with themselves long enough to see the big picture...the bike guys hate the 4 wheel guys who hate the quad and bike guys who hate the sand car guys (that no one understands;) )throw the rock crawlers into the mix and a dose of desert racing and there is a fine mess of special interests to work through rather than a consolidated group.

Meanwhile, the Steal-the Area-Club (aka Sierra Club), and the Center for Biological Diversity are standing in front of grocery store showing the sheeple pictures of trash, muddy ruts, etc...and getting them to sign petitions to further regulate/ban/restrict/close the areas that we have left.

I've been on several forums where I have called attention to a high speed water crossing being glamorized in a thread...I've not met with the greatest success in explaining my motives to have the pictures made "private", often with failure/negative response. I get it, the pics are cool, generally fun to be the driver (as long as it's someone else's rig that gets water contamination and hydro-locked), but they still promote the wrong image if we want to continue our lifestyle's.

There was a time that Tread Lightly had a note about water crossings, low speed, minimal disturbance, etc, I've not been able to find it the last few times I searched. Deep Creek trail in Big Bear (SoCal) is one of the few water crossings that one could easily experience in SoCal. Now it has a bridge...EXCITING!

Why are high speed crossings "bad", they disturb the silt in the stream bed and send it downstream where eventually it clogs up the whole system and BAM, global warming!o_O

My first run on the Mojave Trail there was a group behind us that was taking high speed water crossing shots going into the Afton Canyon campground...for a 4x4 magazine... ended up being a cover shot...guess who else was there that weekend...a class of college biology majors that were there counting frogs in the same body of water that the Jeeps were blasting through. When our group (from this forum) came through earlier that day, we were at an idle to create the least disturbance possible to get to the campground.

I've tried...I'm tired... which is a cop out...I still do what I can to make my surroundings a better place than I found them. I try to educate those around me, sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. Am I perfect, never make a wrong move off-pavement...absolutely NOT...but I do recognize right from wrong and do my best to live by that standard.

Last edited:

Celt II

Adventurist
I have first hand experienced the rangers closing off entrances to washes in the Anza Borrego SVRA because there were tire tracks out of the main wash into minor washes. No climbing up on the walls, no destruction of any plant life just driving into a wash off shoot. For that they put in closed signs. The part that gets my goat is after the monsoons those closure signs will be wiped out and a whole new layer of sand will be brought down through the valleys into the washes erasing those reprobate tire tracks in the wash sand.

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Posting pictures online and editing/framing them to appear as if you are off trail.

Don't post crap like this on social. Some poor schmuck is going to see them and say "hey, saw it online so it must be OK, I want to drive through those trees for a picture now too"...

67318784_10214581151074657_6827320270450065408_n.jpg

what Sally & I experienced in "our" area in the Ozarks is, trash: it seems we haul out more of others trash than what is actually ours. I hate to say is hunters, then second is ATV & UTV riders are next to be the problem. I'm a hunter & own ATV & UTV's but we're responsible & respectful. Our Rangers District's in the Ozarks have logging going on, control burns which makes for awesome land & wildlife management, dispersed camp sites, from the left over cut wood from loggers to be used & cut, the OK of rock fire rings to be made. What we: Sally & I found empty 1lb propane bottles, beer bottles & can, wadded up aluminum foil, just plan ol' irresponsibility of hauling out trash. I guess the saying "leave better then you found it" doesn't compute with these types of individuals.
What we have here in the Ozarks are main forest dirt road, secondary forest dirt roads, horse trails, ATV & UTV trails, & mountain bike trails that are designated with signage. The problem is the ATV & UTV's riders using the horse trails, mountain bike trails destroying these trails & or making their own trails ruining the landscape, natural vegeatation that cause erosion problems.

The photo's I enclosed are areas logged off recently that would make a great camp sites with left over cut wood, for single or group sites. I feel so blessed to live in the foothills of the Ozarks & have access to the public lands for what Sally & I enjoy as offroad adventurist, not "O" word to explore the Ozarks from North Arkansas into South Missouri or into South East Oklahoma. SAM_0996 (1).JPG SAM_0989.JPG SAM_1011.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom