Whoopie Sling for recovery?

justjames

Adventurist
I've been hauling around a 100' section of 3/8" Dyneema as a winch extension. I've never found a method that I liked for shortening it if it became necessary. I recently came across "whoopie slings" in the hammock world using 1/8" Dyneema and that sparked the idea. As it turns out, they were apparently invented in the arborist trades. As an experiment, I made one with my rope. On one end I left a fixed eye with a steel thimble and then measured a 15' span followed by a 10' bury. This would allow easy adjustments from roughly 25' to a little over 60'. It seems to work very well and I've tested it by towing my truck on an uphill grade. I realize that is not a true stress test, it's not even a hard test but it was all I was willing to try without consulting the experts.

Anyone tried this or more importantly, know of a reason not to use this?

Let’s see it!

:pics
Pictures you say? How do you take a picture of a 100' rope :). I almost took one of it coiled up and in the bag but decided I'd humor you.

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have made several for hammocks and random work stuff. If the proper size rope is used and the proper length of splice for the rope I see no reason why it would not work.

I have made several for hammocks and random work stuff. If the proper size rope is used and the proper length of splice for the rope I see no reason why it would not work.

I can't really find anything online that addresses the proper bury length for a whoopie sling when used in this manor. My best guess was a 10' bury was over kill but I had plenty of rope so that's what I did. According to info on the Sampson rope site, a properly done splice doesn't degrade the rope's capacity. In fact it's their preferred method of connection.

I can't really find anything online that addresses the proper bury length for a whoopie sling when used in this manor. My best guess was a 10' bury was over kill but I had plenty of rope so that's what I did. According to info on the Sampson rope site, a properly done splice doesn't degrade the rope's capacity. In fact it's their preferred method of connection.

It looks like Samson recommends 3.5 fid lengths, a fid is 21 times rope diameter if I remember correctly.

https://www.samsonrope.com/docs/def...msteel_amsteel-blue_web.pdf?sfvrsn=ae4d2872_2

Back
Top Bottom