WHO HOOO

100acre

Adventurist
Today I placed my order and initial down payment on a new 2015 FWC Hawk. I'm ordering it through the Mainline Overland dealership in West Chester Pa. They are the closest dealer to where I live. I'm purchasing the base model and a number of upgrades. I'd love to do a build of my own, but I don't think it would be as nice as something I can get from the factory. I will be adding a couple of systems from my M416 Expedition Trailer, like the solar system and the on demand hot water Eccotemp L5. It will save me quite a few Pennies in the long run.
The options I went for are as follows:
Rollover couch......more storage space
Mechanical jacks
Aluminum brackets
Forced Air Furnace
Fantastic Fan ......over the kitchen...I already have an oscillating 12V clamp fan for the front vent
Outside shower " hookup only "..... no DSI water heater
Yakima Tracks only........................I already have a set with towers and yak mounts
Extended vinyl and Hinged Lift Panels and Thermal Pack to a inside height of 6'9" tall:thumbsup
Exterior gas strut lifts
Auxiliary battery system "Wiring only" with separator....I'll install my solar and AGM system from the M416
Both roof and rear wall solar panel sockets.
The guys at FWC are installing a storage cabinet where the 'ice box' would go. I already own a Engel 45 refer/freezer and the idea is to make it so my engel will fit into the cabinet space.. They will probably just have to leave the cabinet door off. I will mount the Engel on a drawer or TemboTusk slide out. Above the Engel will be a hinged countertop with storage below.

I'm also going to attempt to take my Tepui 6' Awning off of the trailer and fab a mount for it to attach to either the camper wall or the jack brackets most likely.

Thank you to everyone for their input in helping me to decide what might best suit my particular needs and thanks to everyone at FWC like Tom, Stan, Terry, Michael and Matthew at Mainline Overland for dealing with my million mile a minute questions.
I'm sure I'll have many more....Dan

Last edited:
I'm thinking I will cut off the RTT mount with RTT and just tow the trailer behind my truck which will be at near or over its GVWR rating. By towing the trailer I can haul more of my extra gear like my gold mining supplies and extra fuel or water. I will do some tests on mileage with or without the trailer/ camper. If I can manage to get everything in the truck and camper without pushing the GVWR or crowding myself out I may just leave the trailer at home or sell it. It's hard to let go of something I've enjoyed so much.

I would say keep the trailer, carry extra water, or fuel. Or even mount an extra solar panel on it, or your batteries for the camper. That would just be weight to take off the truck. Now you really got me wanting a PUC.

Congrats Dan! Those were nice at Expo East!

Thanks Jay!

- - - Updated - - -

I would say keep the trailer, carry extra water, or fuel. Or even mount an extra solar panel on it, or your batteries for the camper. That would just be weight to take off the truck. Now you really got me wanting a PUC.

Whats a PUC? And yes I'm leaning towards keeping her, it'd be difficult to replace if needed later.

Pop Up Camper
Roger that. I have the RTT on my trailer and it's been great, but I changed my mind after seeing the FWC's at the west expo and because on my 2 month trip last year it rained for 2+ weeks which proved difficult to keep dry, cook a meal, and certain levels of comfort just weren't achieved with the RTT. I'm a bit older now and me bones are definitely feeling it, so some luxury for traveling is what I really wanted without hauling around a mobile house. Plus I still wanted access to areas that are limited to non off road vehicles. If it rains or snows, I'll still be comfortable in my HawksNest. It's new name! I can't wait!:D

Congratulations, Dan! Definitely an upgrade! Need pics in this thread now...
Thanks Mitch, I won't have her until March 14th, but I will take lots of pix!

- - - Updated - - -

Dan I'm assuming you also ordered the optional professional grade Root Beer dispenser?

AAAAAHHHHHHH !!! Where was that? I missed it. Is it too late? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo:(:facepalm
I wish FWC would update their site and alert us when a Root Beer dispensary is an available option...I would've paid extra big time for that!

Chris over at Ujoint Off-road here in Asheville is installing all of my needed suspension stuff. Firestone ride rite airbags installed with a compressor and dual air command controller so you can adjust each bag individually from inside the cab. Bilstein 4600 shocks front and back. Pro Comp Add a leaf in the rear. I'm feeling a greater piece of mind having the work done locally by someone I trust and who isn't trying to sell me a bunch of stuff I don't really need. Thanks Chris!:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg