which of these 3 racks

Uncle O

Adventurist
hello everyone. its time for this year's additions to my 2014 JKURX. looking to add a roof rack this time around. I know this is a question that appears a lot on forums. I have done a ton of research, read many threads, and even personally looked at all three on my list. (stalked a few JKs around town) as everyone knows, you get tons of different answers about the same product. so before I pick and install, I wanted to ask just to make sure I get the right one for me. so any information such as wind noise, installation issues, freedom panel removal (one of my major concerns), strength, and accessories would be most useful.

My rack wishlist:
1) Kargo Master Lo-Pro
2) Frontrunner Slimline II 1/2 Rack
3) Rhinorack

How I would use:
1) Overlanding and Camping: need extra storage area
2) Will add a RRT in the near future
3) Hauling larger supplies

Thank you in advance for the help. having such a hard time picking one.

If you'd kindly post pictures or links to the racks you are looking at I'd give you my professional interweb advice. I don't have or own a rack, so whatever my opinion is would be relatively impertinent to your decision. I have a large post count and a banner under my name so I must know what I'm talking about...

...and I do. You've done your research, pick the one that best meets YOUR needs, not the interweb's needs. Welcome to the forum by the way!

Same order:
1) Kargo Master Lo Pro Mod Rack
2) Frontrunner Slimline II half rack
3) Rhino Rack with Pioneer Platform

kargo master lo pro mod rack.jpeg
Frontrunner slimline II half rack.jpg
Rhinorack Pioneer.jpg

Frontrunner gets my vote. Aluminum and well made.

I dislike the look of the Kargo Master (funky “K” names always annoy me too) and it looks heavy. Looks like it makes a ton of wind noise which adds to driver fatigue.

Are any aluminum? I have never seen a rust free steel rack, at least on east coast.

IMHO, if you are planning a RTT, none of these would be my choice. The extra weight (static and dynamic load) just sitting on the rear half, really doesn't sit well with me. I don't think that area is designed for this type of loading and in time, you'll likely crack it. If your plans are to add a RTT, I would be looking at something that has a full frame that attaches to the A pillar and to the body tub near the tail light area.

If you're planning to just throw some extra gear up top, of those, my choice would be the Front Runner. IIRC, those are aluminum which reduces weight up high and clears your Freedom panels for easy removal.

Let me add, looking at the Front Runner setup from their site, it appears that they have support brackets that tie into the factory roll bar inside, effectively tying it into a solid area. This would definitely support a RTT, so this would be my first choice of the racks you listed.

Let me add, looking at the Front Runner setup from their site, it appears that they have support brackets that tie into the factory roll bar inside, effectively tying it into a solid area. This would definitely support a RTT, so this would be my first choice of the racks you listed.

Yeah, IIRC I remember an advertisement from Frontrunner with them lifting a JK in the air by their rack.

all of the ones on my list have support inside from either roll bars or base of windows so to put weight on the body. AEV and Maximus are like Rhino Rack but with the support directly on the roll bars.

I'm not sure that I get the handles (or what ever they are) on the Kargo Master. Seems to me there is the potential to damage the door/window if the door retainer isn't on. It looks like the door could easily swing open and hit it. It would suck to bust a window on it while trying to take the doors off/put them on.

Thats my jeep in the photo with the front runner rack. My wife has the rhino rack and its nice if you plan on taking the hardtop on & off since it uses the backbone system but I decided to go with front runner based on their selection of accessories for their racks. I just installed the table slide and their quick disconnect RTT mounts and it has made a huge improvement in my camping and unloading process at the house.

Thats my jeep in the photo with the front runner rack. My wife has the rhino rack and its nice if you plan on taking the hardtop on & off since it uses the backbone system but I decided to go with front runner based on their selection of accessories for their racks. I just installed the table slide and their quick disconnect RTT mounts and it has made a huge improvement in my camping and unloading process at the house.

it is your jeep. love the build and it was a perfect shot to show everyone. (kinda have a rig crush) your rig is what anchored FR being on my list.

Back
Top Bottom