What's in your recovery bag?

Andy

Adventurist
Founding Member
So I'm cleaning up my garage and decided to pull out my recovery bag and undo the rats nest it had become. This got me thinking about what I have with me and what great ideas are still out there. So please post up what you have along for the ride.

image.jpg

In my bag:

ARB recovery strap. Fits great in ARB RTT hardware bag.
2 x D shackles with 4.75 ton WLL
Tree saver strap (still in package, no trees in 29 Palms!!)
Gloves
Winch controller
Jumper cables
Receiver shackle mount
Big ass ratchet strap that fell of a 7 ton truck for reseating tire beads

Also in/on the truck

MV50 compressor
Shovel
Head lamp
Sure fire light

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm wanting to expand on my Recovery gear so your list is very helpful. So far I have the Warn VL 10,000 with steel cable line. I am hoping to switch out to synthetic to lessen the weight on the truck. I'm not sure what width I should choose though. I've never used the winch cable so the rollers are in new condition. Is there a different type of roller I should switch to for use with synthetic line, or is what I have okay?
I also have the
Winch controller
ARB 7000 Snatch Block, which is also new in the box.
ARB 11,000Kg Snatch Strap new in box
ARB 12,000Kg Tree Trunk Protector
1 new synthetic Soft Shackle from Southeast Overland.
Good set of gloves.
Jumper Cables
standard and metric socket set
High Lift Jack

There are closed recovery points attached to my winch mount and my hitch has attachment places too. I also plan on installing some rock sliders down the road. I know I need some D-Shackles, is there a specific WLL I need for my rig and do I need a chain or tow straps?
I looked through AAV and have seen those closed loop metal...things protruding from the face of some people's winch face and attached to the line itself. What is its use and are there better/worse options? I saw on Dave's recovery gear list it mentioned line extensions, and blocks. Is the block a snatch block, do I need more than one, and what do I need to know about line extensions? Thanks

Last edited:
Recommended additions:

Choker chain
20-30 ft. Tow strap (loops, no hooks)
Pickaxe
Shovel (maxtrax are multi functional substitute)
Wrench set (i keep a full set of the ratcheting flex head wrenches in the pickup)
Duck boots (easily accessible)

When you switch from cable to synthetic, you will need to polish out the drum so it has no scratches that can booger the synthetic line. I would go with a shorter winch line but keep an extension (tip, just get two of the same so winch line so you have a spare all the time). I would also recommend switching to a hawse fairlead and installing one of those little rubber bumpers in front of the hook / loop on the end.

Oh yeah... Always keep a bottle of PB blaster or WD40 in your kit.

... And another tip, when you use a d shackle in a recovery, tighten, then back off a half turn or so before putting it under load... That way you don't need a gorilla to get it loosened up again.

I carry a full tool set, along with a couple ratchet straps, some Drings, a heavy moving blanket for weighting down winch line, some gloves and some chain... I probably need more, like a snatch block or two, but I haven't gone that far yet.

It can, but is a good way to wear it out fast. Consider a snatch strap a consumable asset. After a few dozen stretches, its time to retire it.

It can, but is a good way to wear it out fast. Consider a snatch strap a consumable asset. After a few dozen stretches, its time to retire it.

Sightly off topic but, you can recycle a broken snatch strap by tying a figure 8 knot at the break and then use it as a tree saver or redirection anchor for winching

Pictures forthcoming this evening, but I don't have a lot. A tug strap, itty bitty wee compressor, fix-a-flat, a few bungees, and straps. I also have my GoTread.

I just added this to my list of recovery gear today through Steve at Southeast Overland

Southeast Overland 3/8" x 80' synthetic line Silver
UTP thimble Viking isolator
ARB Speedy Seal Kit
ARB large recovery bag

I also picked up a couple of Warn D-Rings from Chris at Ujoint Offroad here in Asheville after they completed the install of my Pro Comp Add a Leaf, Firestone Ride Rites with in cab air command airbag controller and compressor and Bilstein 4600 coil overs in the front and Bilstein 4600 rear shocks. I was at Ujoint today and he gave me an aluminum hawser fairlead with the Southeast Overland logo for free!:)
I'll post up some pix tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mine varies by where I'm going, who I'm going with, and what I'm going to do when I get there.

At a minimum, a complete first aid kit...I've had people ask me what to put in a first aid kit...my best response is "what ever you think is appropriate to put YOU back together". If two band-aids and an aspirin does it for you, great, that's what we'll use, I'm only allergic to pain when it's MINE! Winch controller, recovery strap, shackles, gloves, tire plug kit and air up gear makes the usual short list.

The long list is all of the stuff packed in here when loaded for Baja 1000 chase duties!
2010baja1000007-1.jpg

Soft shackle, I got them from Southeast Overland. Use them in addition to regular shackles, they are not meant as a replacement.

Steve makes them by hand in his shop in SC. They are one of the better variants out there.

Keep in mind that the Dynema fiber that synthetic winch line is made of is 15% stronger than steel and that same fiber is currently being used in the newest generations of body armor - yes, even superior to kevlar but more pliable and stronger.

Agree with Maxcustody - they aren't a replacement for your steel, rated screw-pin bow shackles, but they provide another dimension to vehicle recovery, especially vehicles with roll cages or others with sliders.

Also, well done with the recovery kit Maxcustody - you nailed it. I've gone to the same concept of smaller separate bags (gaffer bags). It allows me more flexibility with packing and the overall load plan as opposed to one big giant bulky bag that needs a forklift to move.

Steve makes them by hand in his shop in SC. They are one of the better variants out there.

Keep in mind that the Dynema fiber that synthetic winch line is made of is 15% stronger than steel and that same fiber is currently being used in the newest generations of body armor - yes, even superior to kevlar but more pliable and stronger.

Agree with Maxcustody - they aren't a replacement for your steel, rated screw-pin bow shackles, but they provide another dimension to vehicle recovery, especially vehicles with roll cages or others with sliders.

Also, well done with the recovery kit Maxcustody - you nailed it. I've gone to the same concept of smaller separate bags (gaffer bags). It allows me more flexibility with packing and the overall load plan as opposed to one big giant bulky bag that needs a forklift to move.

Thanks Tim

I'm fascinated with all of the different varieties of recovery straps available. All I've ever had are standard looped end 20-30K (depending on brand and web size) 20-30' long recovery straps.

It's been a few years (OK maybe more than a few and apparently a lot of technology) since I worked course recovery for CaRoc's. I've had some crazy course recovery's with a minimal of gear (compared to what is on the market today) with no injuries or failed recoveries.

<holy crap, tried to endure the missed keystrokes, couldn't hang, had to switch browsers>

Maybe the wrong thread, but I'm going to start it here anyway...

I see more vehicles with a Hi-Lift jack mounted to it somewhere, and a casual vehicle inspection indicates no where that they are going to be able to use said jack on their own vehicle. I've quit carrying one because any time one is needed there is someone that is begging you to use theirs. Don't get me wrong, a Hi-Lift has saved my bacon many a time...usually in my rock Jeep with countless jacking points, including the bead locked wheels. As far as a usable vehicle recovery jack, get a solid base, and a higher rated bottle jack than you'll ever need. I'll damn near guarantee that you'll use the bottle jack more often on your junk than you do the other guys, and you won't have a near death experience that a Hi-Lift can create when used improperly, or in a dangerous manner (NEVER get a body part in the swing arc of the handle, if the jack takes off, handle hits you in the head, it can kill/blind you...it's happened). I can't stress Hi-Lift safety enough. If you have one, great, they are awesome tools when used correctly, practice with yours in the driveway or some other flat/hard surface. Get a wheel off the ground, shake the vehicle a bit, see if you can knock the vehicle off the jack...I'll bet yiou can! Just saying is all!:cool:

If you are just starting out with your recovery gear, focus on the simple stuff. If you get stuck, have a strap out, and a solid recovery point, most anyone with any trail manners at all will stop and give you a tug. In my experience most of us have more recovery gear than we usually need...having a reason to get it out and use it to help someone is usually a positive thing...at least it is for me and the crew I wheel with.

Start with the simple stuff, and don't skimp on quality, it could be your life depending on your recovery gear.

The most important thing is SOLID recovery points...double throw me down tow hooks bolted to a sheet metal bumper ain't gonna get it. I've seen a bargain bumper pulled right off of a Jeep and damn near kill the gawkers during a recovery. Just saying is all.:cool:

I'm old (not compared to Woody or Tango...but still on the downhill side), my doc says I'm fat, and this is the interweb. Take my opinions for what they are worth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom