What I am finding out about owning a Ural

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
The only people who ride Urals are the people who work on Urals and if you didn't when you bought it, you will if you expect to ride it often.

The service interval after the break-in period is 5000km. No need to worry about converting it to miles because the odometer is in km.

Throttle body adjustments for EFI models are done by proprietary software available only to authorized dealers and service centers.

If you're doing a valve adjustment, removing a valve cover is a PITA when there's a sidecar in the way.

Everything else so far has been stupid simple to work on.

Are they high maintenance or reliability issues? I have always been intrigued by the Ural.

-Andy

To say they're high maintenance would give the incorrect impression of something like a Jaguar.

More frequent maintenance, less technical skill required. The BMW F800gs I had has a service interval of 6000 miles. Almost twice the Urals 3100 mile interval. I would really hesitate on adjusting the valves on the BMW. The biggest obstacle for the Ural was literally the sidecar.

(That nasty oil is left over from the oil change)

IMG_20160707_080940460.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I mean when I say stupid simple.

Replacing a rear shock on a Ural. All 5 shocks (2 front, 2 rear, 1 sidecar) are the same part number so one spare will work on all wheels.
http://myural.com/rear_shock_removal__installatio.htm

This is Touratech's instructions on how to replace the mono shock on the rear of a F800GS with their replacement/upgrade. The steps to replace the OEM mono shock would be similar.

As far as reliability goes, that's something I'm going to find out. Will it be as reliable as the BMW? I doubt it. Will I be sporting the Russian equivalent of the bumper sticker on a friend's Defender 90? "The parts falling off this vehicle are of the finest British craftsmanship"?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, just FYI. 2016 Urals had a header redesign. So lets say you put a nasty dent in your muffler when going through a washout and you want an after market raised exhaust to prevent it from happening again. Current solutions will require some cutting. Thanks to Forge Specialties for helping me out and cutting the J tubes to fit.

Kudos to Ural of New England and John Pereira for installing the same 2 into 1 exhaust on one of their 2016's and walking me through the rest of the install past the headers. This will require modification of a guard for the rear break cylinder and the guard for the sidecar axle. My current solution right now is just to remove them and tackle the modifications later.

So, just FYI. 2016 Urals had a header redesign. So lets say you put a nasty dent in your muffler when going through a washout and you want an after market raised exhaust to prevent it from happening again. Current solutions will require some cutting. Thanks to Forge Specialties for helping me out and cutting the J tubes to fit.

Kudos to Ural of New England and John Pereira for installing the same 2 into 1 exhaust on one of their 2016's and walking me through the rest of the install past the headers. This will require modification of a guard for the rear break cylinder and the guard for the sidecar axle. My current solution right now is just to remove them and tackle the modifications later.
We need some pictures!

Yes! For how long this thread has been going...

:pics

Isn't two wheel life a lot simpler? But man, I hate carburetors... I'm enjoying my commuter at the moment (1974 CB200), neglecting the Xterra. Now the itch to own something bigger and less finicky for solo trips has gotten worse!

One of these things is not like the other. New on the right is 9mm too long.
IMG_20160723_102920412.jpg

Rear brake cylinder guard in the way
IMG_20160727_122151953.jpg

Drive shaft guard in the way
IMG_20160727_132855938.jpg

Easey-peasey.... Vince will knock that out for you and make it better than Boris ever could.

Although, I think the Urals run better when the rider is miserable.

Must be a Russian thing.

"This little pony leaves a different __ing rainbow behind it."

It's an older pic and not really sure if the slick is from the bike but that's what I thought when I saw it
IMG_20160716_164005490.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom